ADVERTISEMENT

St Johns deserved the win but...

They will never shoot this well again in the next 5 years. So don't get too bummed. Doesn't mean anything.

Let's see how we do against Miami.

I don't care if STJ's shoots like this again...they did tonight, and we couldn't hang.

Hopefully we'll see an uptick in our quickness, covering hot 3 point shooters and switching lineups WHEN necessary to counter and throw the other team off: that's called ADJUSTMENTS.

MO

True, SJU will not have a better shooting night probably the rest of the year. It was like they’re three pointers we’re layups for crying out loud.

But I am disappointed that Pike didn’t really make any adjustments to address the scorching shooting. He didn’t change up the defense AT ALL.

Reactions: BOGDANOVICH
They will never shoot this well again in the next 5 years. So don't get too bummed. Doesn't mean anything.
It means we need to better than 7-26 against the real teams on our schedule. St. Johns shooting lights out had nothing to do with our inability to make free throws either.

SJU stats:
46.7% FG
50% 3PT

SJU will have of these nights this season and some will exceed tonight's game fwiw.

SJU stats:
46.7% FG
50% 3PT

SJU will have of these nights this season and some will exceed tonight's game fwiw.
If They shoot 50% from three against another P5 program this year I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. But I don't think I am. But this loss was more about lucky hot shooting from the opponent and bad shooting from us than them being a better team. Let's see how things play out.

S t Johns reminded me of Nebraska. They shot the lights out but they also played suffocating defense; were tough and our guys were intimidated and had that defeat look at about the 15 minute mark of the 2nd half.

Momma said there'd be days like this. Hats off to St Johns. They came in and hit us in the mouth.

I actually think it was our lack of FT's in the 1st half that caused the initial gap that we couldn't overcome. If this game is closer at the half, it is a different game. The crowd would have been more into it, they wouldn't have been as relaxed, and our guys hopefully would have found another level. We dug ourselves a hole missing FT's.

Have to say, I miss the Big East Basketball conference. Lots of great local rivals(Hall, Johnies, Nova) and just some fun entertaining games. Not one home Big Ten game last year matched the intensity of the RU/SHU game. Oh well.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
St Johns will shoot this way again when they face an opponent with the programs level of defense as we saw last night.

Why discredit their game? They played well.

St Johns shot 8 of 17 from 3 against Duke last year in a 81-77 victory at MSG.

SJU shot 6 of 15 from 3 at Villanova in a 4 point win 4 days later....

SJU then shot 8 of 20 from in a 8 point win over Marquette in their next game.....Ponds had 44 of their 86 points.

SJU then shot 12 of 24 from 3 in a 77-76 win at Depaul....Ponds, Simon and Clark combined for 66 of their 77 points.

All of these 4 games as wins happened from February...and after SJU had an ELEVEN game losing streak in the Big East.....

i will mention that the 11 game streak is somewhat deceptive because mixed with a couple of huge point losses were 22 at home to Providence where they gave up 94 points and 91 points at home in a 17 point loss to Depaul. They had 2 OT losses and very close losses at Xavier Butler and SHU.

SJU plays to the level of the competition but the addition of Heron and Figueroa and shedding Lovett has completely transformed their offense from sometimes explosive to potentially more consistent this year.

Last night was not a fluke....when a team starts making 3s, anything is possible. So essentially in 5 of their last 13 or so games from February through last night, they're over 40% from 3....

Mixed in there was a 5 for 24 from 3 in an OT loss to SHU at MSG......and a 6 for.27 from 3 in a 88-60 loss to Xavier in the last game of the season in BE tournament.

Maybe feast or famine, but not a fluke.....they are explosive.

Momma said there'd be days like this. Hats off to St Johns. They came in and hit us in the mouth.

I actually think it was our lack of FT's in the 1st half that caused the initial gap that we couldn't overcome. If this game is closer at the half, it is a different game. The crowd would have been more into it, they wouldn't have been as relaxed, and our guys hopefully would have found another level. We dug ourselves a hole missing FT's.
Except that we got it to 24-23 despite the bad early foul shooting . This was all about unconscious shooting by Figueroa in the first half and Herron and Clark in the second

ADVERTISEMENT