ADVERTISEMENT

St. John's Sedee Keita out 4-6 weeks

dkostus

All American
Feb 10, 2002
Feel bad for the guy. Had surgery for knee injury. Our size advantage is now palpable on the front line:

Marvin Clark II, a 6'7" wide body (who seems pretty good) will have to man the middle. Only other guy above 6'7" they have is a freshman that has played 4 total minutes.

Dont want to play into their hands by staying small, but Eugene could legitimately man the 5 spot in this game, and we would still have a height advantage with Issa and Harper out there at the 4 spot. I still expect Shaq and Myles to get a bunch of minutes though. Hope we're just emphasizing team rebounding and help D this week.

So the tallest guy on SJU (who will actually play meaningful minutes) is 6-7.

The problem for us is that their 6-1 to 6-5 guys are really, really good. This will be like playing a mid-major team size-wise, but a P6 team talent-wise. Pike is going to have to do a really good job of mixing up defenses. Zone must be in the repetoire.

Hopefully this is the week Pike emphasizes offensive rebounding. Could be a deciding factor if we get second chances.

Also could be a great game to let Eugene play a lot of 5 with 4 shooters on the floor. He can definitely rebound and score on anyone his own size.

Johnson can keep up with anyone at his size. Same with Gene. Thiam and Geo will take the two best players. Could see a lot of Harper at the 4 also. I like our matchup for Friday

Reactions: MV9000
Hopefully this is the week Pike emphasizes offensive rebounding. Could be a deciding factor if we get second chances.

Also could be a great game to let Eugene play a lot of 5 with 4 shooters on the floor. He can definitely rebound and score on anyone his own size.

I think I'd still want Johnson in as a rim protector. Make them beat us from the perimeter.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I could see Myles getting a lot of minutes and maybe a few less for Doorson if we go really small at times. We really need to dominate rebounding in this game. If they may only go 7 deep we can really push the pace and wear them out in the second half

I could see Omoruyi getting time at the 5, and Johnson seeing the lion's share among our true bigs. I don't know if Doorson would have the footspeed to keep in front of SJU's smaller/faster lineup - but offensively, I don't think they'd be able to stop him in the paint at their size.

Will be very interested to see how Pike handles the rotation on Friday.

Playing a 2-3 zone with Johnson/Doorson in the middle could be really effective. Our length along the perimeter would be tough to pass through or shoot over, and Johnson/Doorson would be inside to get blocks/boards.

The perimeter of the zone could be:
6-5 Baker/Kiss/Mathis
6-6 McConnell/Harper
6-7 Omoruyi
6-10 Thiam

Good news is Keita is their only shot blocker....bad news is LJ Figueroa, a very strong combo forward will likely play even more minutes and create matchups that will be challenging for Thiam, Harper Jr and perhaps Mathis.

I can see this turning into and up and down contest where our depth may play a factor down the stretch. Foul trouble could hurt the Johnnies as well.

Agreed. We're going to get taken off the dribble a lot in this game, and I want Eugene taking charges and Doorson/Johnson blocking shots when SJU guards get in the lane.
Agree. That we’re going to get beat off the dribble is almost a given, though coach can’t say so. If Myles and Shaq D total 40mins, I could see it 25/15 favoring Myles.

Can Geo, Pe
Maybe we should think about pressing them to take advantage of our deeper bench.
given their speed and our size, maybe 3/4 or 1/2 court.

Reactions: Scangg
We have a real young roster (313th ranked in experience) so let's not put too much on their plate. I'd still rather spend valuable practice time on basic things and not a specific press to beat a OOC team. Also I am going to guess the most important player on the floor will be Geo Baker and he has to play 35+ minutes. Don't want him pressing.

We have a real young roster (313th ranked in experience) so let's not put too much on their plate. I'd still rather spend valuable practice time on basic things and not a specific press to beat a OOC team. Also I am going to guess the most important player on the floor will be Geo Baker and he has to play 35+ minutes. Don't want him pressing.
Agree that Geo will see 35+ (assuming close game). Don’t think an extended zone trap would drain him to much. A lot to play with.

All of you that want to play zone that’s all well and good but keep in mind that our young players haven’t played any yet in games and if we haven’t practiced it much it’s tough to just play on the fly . It’s more than just standing in a spot and putting your hands up . There are still rotations abs gaps that need to be covered. I’m sure Pike and Jay young given almost a full week of practice will have something good up their sleeve though

All of you that want to play zone that’s all well and good but keep in mind that our young players haven’t played any yet in games and if we haven’t practiced it much it’s tough to just play on the fly . It’s more than just standing in a spot and putting your hands up . There are still rotations abs gaps that need to be covered. I’m sure Pike and Jay young given almost a full week of practice will have something good up their sleeve though
Well, dang, don’t do it if you haven’t practiced it.

Pike stated before that the defense was behind the offense and not where he wanted it to be. I wonder if that made him want to consider playing more zone in which case we may have already spent a decent amount of time practicing it but just didn't want to show it against lesser opponents... OR... Pike wants to play man so rather than spending time practicing zone he would rather drill in the man to man defense he expects the team to play to try to get the D to where he wants it

Eastern Michigan plays almost exclusively a 2-3 zone defense....

Since they are the next opponent, you can be assured we are spending some time on those concepts

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pike stated before that the defense was behind the offense and not where he wanted it to be. I wonder if that made him want to consider playing more zone in which case we may have already spent a decent amount of time practicing it but just didn't want to show it against lesser opponents... OR... Pike wants to play man so rather than spending time practicing zone he would rather drill in the man to man defense he expects the team to play to try to get the D to where he wants it

The problem with zone is it can be harder to get guys to box in that scheme. Since our guys are young, continuing to work on improving man to man principles may be a better strategy.

I want Myles to get as many touches in the post as possible. He's showing the ability to score with a nice array of moves. If they start doubling, I'm confident he'll fine the open man, and it will start raining 3's.
Don't think we're going to have a problem scoring, but the Johnnies might not either.

Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
The problem with zone is it can be harder to get guys to box in that scheme. Since our guys are young, continuing to work on improving man to man principles may be a better strategy.
True, but I'm not sure defensive Rebounding is the biggest concern to be threatened by with the SJU offense. We do have the height and length advantage though to help compensate for a missed assignment on a box out. I think someone mentioned they aren't a good offensive rebounding team and that was before they lost their big man. I'm not sure what's best for this team but if we are getting burned too easily off the dribble it would make sense to at least try some zone to see how we do or to break up their rhythm.

I also wonder if we might see some zone at times this season if Geo gets in foul trouble and coach doesn't want to take him out

I'd think we'd see EO at the 5 when the opponent has a big man. Pull him out.
That would put him at risk of foul trouble. I think we could see him at the 5 maybe if the other team DOESN'T have a big man. We have Shaq Shaq Myles and Doucoure and we won't play them when the other team has a big? Seems unlikely. Pike also preaches rebounding which would hurt us there if it is EO against a true 5

We need to make this game physical and get them in foul trouble ...

Our depth and their lack thereof can be the difference

Eastern Michigan plays almost exclusively a 2-3 zone defense....

Since they are the next opponent, you can be assured we are spending some time on those concepts

That should make for an interesting game. I think we saw a few possessions of zone vs. FDU, but I believe that is it.

Reactions: RUChoppin
That would put him at risk of foul trouble. I think we could see him at the 5 maybe if the other team DOESN'T have a big man. We have Shaq Shaq Myles and Doucoure and we won't play them when the other team has a big? Seems unlikely. Pike also preaches rebounding which would hurt us there if it is EO against a true 5
I think our height dominates the tal rebounds, it’s the ones that bounce out and or hit the ground that are more worrisome.

I'm really interested to see if we can get Johnson/Doorson going on offense. SJU would have to double them if the ball goes into the post, because I don't think any single player can stop them on the block - and with Johnson's passing, that should open up a lot of outside opportunities.

I'm also interested to see how Omoruyi defends, his footwork and positioning vs. their speed - might be hard to stop their momentum if they come around someone like Doorson and find Omoruyi standing there ready for the charge. We'll also get to see how good a shot blocker Johnson really is.

Ball protection and playing inside out will be important on offense. Footwork and help defense will be important on defense.

Looking forward to seeing Pike's strategy.

Reactions: zebnatto
If we were to face St. John’s later in the season, I could see Myles putting up numbers like 15 points,10 rebounds, six assists, five blocks.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT