ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Atmosphere

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
Talked with my brother yesterday: he's a pastor out in Lincoln, but a life long Michigan fan. He obviously watched the game Saturday night, and was very impressed with our stadium atmosphere, the lighting, the smoke, the fan response, etc. Said it really stood out to him compared to other away Michigan games he's watched against Big 10 opponents. Brought it up several times during our conversation.

Talked with my brother yesterday: he's a pastor out in Lincoln, but a life long Michigan fan. He obviously watched the game Saturday night, and was very impressed with our stadium atmosphere, the lighting, the smoke, the fan response, etc. Said it really stood out to him compared to other away Michigan games he's watched against Big 10 opponents. Said the train horn was annoying. Brought it up several times during our conversation.
FIFY

It was annoying having so many Michigan fans. But it was still more fun than a half full "sellout" and there was a lot of energy which made the game and tailgate enjoyable.

It was annoying having so many Michigan fans. But it was still more fun than a half full "sellout" and there was a lot of energy which made the game and tailgate enjoyable.
Sorry, will never agree with this. Would always rather have a half full stadium of just RU fans than a full stadium with even 10% visiting fans, as 10% is about 5K, which is just too much - let alone 1/3 of the fans being from the other team like the UM game. Just can't stand it.

Talked with my brother yesterday: he's a pastor out in Lincoln, but a life long Michigan fan. He obviously watched the game Saturday night, and was very impressed with our stadium atmosphere, the lighting, the smoke, the fan response, etc. Said it really stood out to him compared to other away Michigan games he's watched against Big 10 opponents. Brought it up several times during our conversation.
We often have guests at our tailgate from other teams and we generally hear very positive feedback about both the tailgating and game/stadium experiences. It's why you almost never see me complaining about either, as I think they're pretty damn good - and even any minor things I might change aren't worth fretting/whining about.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Yeah the visiting fans I've talked to frequently expect a small-time atmosphere then are very impressed by the reality.

Reactions: MrsScrew
We often have guests at our tailgate from other teams and we generally hear very positive feedback about both the tailgating and game/stadium experiences. It's why you almost never see me complaining about either, as I think they're pretty damn good - and even any minor things I might change aren't worth fretting/whining about.
Well, yeah, but that was when I was plying them with 18-year Macallan or 21-year Balvenie. After a couple bottles of that swill we'd hear positive feedback even if we stuck pencils in their eyes.

I'm not entirely sure that counts. 😃

At halftime I don't know if the Michigan fans looked more stressed about the score or the bathroom line. I think they've done a lot of good things to improve the game experience, not that I care much about it. I'm sure it helps sells tickets to families and keeps away team fans coming back. There was a little pip squeak UM fan doing the "shoot the canon" taunt at the end. Wish I had video of that. hysterical.

"Shoot the cannon" chants aren't all that grating when the opponent isn't pitching a shutout. I thought Michigan alumni were supposed to be smart.

I think the atmosphere is great and has improved tremendously. The PSU chap in charge of it does a great job (with the exception of the overused train horn discussed ad nauseum. )

Lighting is now excellent, the field is bright and crisp, and cool effects dimming. Drones were amazing, I hope that is a regular thing. Atmosphere was good but did not have electricity, probably because we were heavy underdogs and even at half we knew winning was still unlikely. In and out of yellow easily, only complaint was generator noise from grease truck, finally a large pickup truck parked between us and the gen and it got better.

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Definitely was a great atmosphere. It sounded like they listened to the fans and cut back on the piped in music (but they cranked up the sub bass - I really didn’t mind that). The light show and drones were great, and the crowd really started to get into it every time we scored. The looks on the faces of the Michigan fans’ faces was priceless. For a half, we got to see what the future could really look like.

Good post. The large majority of our fans are great fans. We just need more of them. I see a lot of young kids at the game and if we win a lot they will get hooked. But as I said recently, these last 3 years are light years ahead of the 3 before that. Really our last year like this was 2014 maybe 2015 but now we’re heading in the other direction not only on the field but also as a fanbase.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Actually he asked why we built the stadium so close to the train station. JK. I forgot to ask him about that, if he heard it, will do that next time.
Tell your brother the architect was a Johnny Cash fan and built the stadium where it is because of these words in a song Johnny sung
"I hear the train a comin'
it's rolling round the bend"

ADVERTISEMENT