ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Dropping Wrestling

Clearscreen25

All American
Mar 9, 2016
Unreal and so sad.

They are dropping 11 sports after the 2020-2021 season including wrestling.

Terrible... they have very good wrestlers too.. Real Woods, Jaden Abas, Shane Griffith, and Nathan Traxler..

Horrible news and terrible trends for wrestling in general.They had 5 NCAA qualifiers this year too..

With that being said, hopefully Griffith wants to come home to finish his career.

Terrible news. They had 36 varsity sports and cut 11. Let's get Shane Griffith.

This is bigger than picking up the scraps to improve our program. Shane would be a tremendous addition, but a major west coast program dropping wrestling is not good for the overall health of the sport. There is some tremendous wrestling talent in central/northern California so this is not good for growth overall.

Reactions: RU23 and plcoolg
Somebody predicted that COVID was going to be used as an excuse for colleges to cut programs to save money.

On a roster note, Nick Addison of Rumson would be an interesting transfer possibility. He’s a 184 sophomore and would provide us some depth we desperately need at that weight class. His brother Shay was a sophomore last year who took 5th at 160 this year after losing to Soldano.

wow... their athletics department has a larger endowment than most major universities... what is the reasoning behind dropping so many sports? One of the draws to Stanford is that the have so many true scholar athletes across so many sports

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If we could get Griffith a top 3 wrestler who will contend for a title. Right out the gate, we would be a top 5 team in the country (Trophy contention)
Add Suriano to the mix along with Seabass here -Wow a dream season.

I know Princeton will go hard at Griffith.

Reactions: mattiek
If we could get Griffith a top 3 wrestler who will contend for a title. Right out the gate, we would be a top 5 team in the country (Trophy contention)
Add Suriano to the mix along with Seabass here -Wow a dream season.

I know Princeton will go hard at Griffith.
Not 100% certain but I believe transfer rules would still apply until after next season, though I figure Stanford wouldn’t contest it. Griffith would be required to sit out a year under normal circumstances, and Rivera would be gone. Suriano as well if he decided to come back this season.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Not 100% certain but I believe transfer rules would still apply until after next season, though I figure Stanford wouldn’t contest it. Griffith would be required to sit out a year under normal circumstances, and Rivera would be gone. Suriano as well if he decided to come back this season.

I can at least dream...

Reactions: SCNJ
Well Ivys officially cancelled their Fall sports season. And given the circumstances I don’t think any transfer is gonna be forced to sit out a year.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
This is bigger than picking up the scraps to improve our program. Shane would be a tremendous addition, but a major west coast program dropping wrestling is not good for the overall health of the sport. There is some tremendous wrestling talent in central/northern California so this is not good for growth overall.
Yeah it's bad for the sport and unfortunately will get worse as others are expected.
Why would he sit out a year?

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Also, he'd likely get a waiver if they didn't grant his release. Nonetheless, heavy speculation that he's headed to UPenn, unless they miraculously save the Stanford program with overwhelming donations to also cover a women's sport and other expenses, and convince the administration that already said that won't bring back a sport.

Last edited:

As Leonard stated above, Griffith would not have to sit. And there is no chance Stanford would not grant a release

Reactions: Leonard23
Yeah it's bad for the sport and unfortunately will get worse as others are expected.
Why would he sit out a year?

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Also, he'd likely get a waiver if they didn't grant his release. Nonetheless, heavy speculation that he's headed to UPenn, unless they miraculously save the Stanford program with overwhelming donations to also cover a women's sport and other expenses, and convince the administration that already said that won't bring back a sport.
I'd be okay with him going to Penn provided we get him in a grad transfer like Sea Bass. I just don't want him at Princeton.

Didn’t realize wrestling was exempt from the transfer rules that basketball and football players are. Learned something new.

I wonder if Ivy League cancelling their fall sports plays a negative role though in wrestlers looking to transfer to Ivy schools. Granted there is no Ivy League for wrestling so they may be free to do as they please.

Have to believe there is a deep pocketed Stanford wrestling alum out there, or several, who will step up and fund the program for a few more years. Especially since there are a couple real studs in their lineup. Coach Borelli seems like he is prepared to fight this pretty intensely.

He loves the Wharton School.
Kid initially chose a world renowned academic institution like Stanford. Makes a lot of sense he would have similar motivations to transfer to another world class academic university. Would have to think UPENN, Cornell and Princeton are some of his top choices if Stanford cannot raise the funds to continue to program.

Stanford has stated the programs are gone and fundraising will help them support a club sport. If Shane wants business he should go to Penn. Princeton does not have a Business School and the the Rutgers Business School provides more Wall Street opportunities than Cornell.

Imagine that with the Rutgers deficit, we could see programs cut at RU. If 4 programs need to go, which ones do you recommend?

Last edited:
Stanford has stated the programs are gone and fundraising will help them support a club sport. If Shane wants business he should go to Penn. Princeton does not have a Business School and the the Rutgers Business School provides more Wall Street opportunities than Cornell.

Imagine that with the Rutgers deficit, we could see programs cut at RU. If 4 programs need to go, which ones do you recommend?
Men's and women's cross country at a bare minimum. The other 2 are trickier as we need to stay in Title IX compliance, otherwise I would've said tennis and volleyball.

Things looked pretty dire for Brown too. Money talks.

I'd be okay with him going to Penn provided we get him in a grad transfer like Sea Bass. I just don't want him at Princeton.
UPenn is certainly better than Princeton but I'd be surprised that he'd transfer again.
Men's and women's cross country at a bare minimum. The other 2 are trickier as we need to stay in Title IX compliance, otherwise I would've said tennis and volleyball.
NCAA scholarship limits are combined for T&F (indoor and outdoor) and XC at 12.6, so I'm not sure there's any huge cost savings by dropping XC, since the largest expenses are scholarships and coaches, and it's unlikely either would be cut or we'd be viewed as not fully funding them and should then cut them all.

UPenn is certainly better than Princeton but I'd be surprised that he'd transfer again.
I’m pretty sure the Ivy League doesn’t allow graduate seniors to participate in athletics and Griffith having redshirted as a freshman would likely be on track to graduate with a year of eligibility remaining

I’m pretty sure the Ivy League doesn’t allow graduate seniors to participate in athletics and Griffith having redshirted as a freshman would likely be on track to graduate with a year of eligibility remaining
They don't but how do we know that he'll graduate from Wharton by 2022? Maybe transferring in he's only considered a sophomore instead of a junior and then has 3 years of undergrad at UPenn. I'm curious to see how this goes. Any other transfers into Ivies in the past that we could look at?

They don't but how do we know that he'll graduate from Wharton by 2022? Maybe transferring in he's only considered a sophomore instead of a junior and then has 3 years of undergrad at UPenn. I'm curious to see how this goes. Any other transfers into Ivies in the past that we could look at?
Honestly not entirely sure how it works, I just don’t recall ever seeing a redshirt senior on any Ivy League roster in any sport.

Honestly not entirely sure how it works, I just don’t recall ever seeing a redshirt senior on any Ivy League roster in any sport.

You will not see a RedShirt Senior on any Ivy roster because you cannot redshirt in the Ivies. We know they do redshirt, but they just do not enroll in school for the year, so when they re-enroll they are still on track to graduate and compete for 4 years. You are correct, Ivy league schools do not allow graduates to compete. Yes not sure on Griffiths situation....how many credits transfer, does he change major etc etc. Does he come in as a Soph or Junior?

Doesn’t mean that’s he’s leaving just yet, just gives him the option to talk to other coaches

Has there been any update on any of these possible transfers? Specifically Griffiths and Woods?

ADVERTISEMENT