ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Point Guards...B1G Points Per Game

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
A lot of items are being placed at the feet of the coaching staff in terms of recruiting talent, lack of depth, Mawot Mag being injured but it's simply not the case.

Here are you starting B1G Point Guards and their PPG averages for the season.

13.4 INDIANA

11.3 NEBRASKA

10.0 PURDUE

9.8 MINNESOTA

8.3 MICHIGAN

16.3 MARYLAND

10.0 ILLINOIS

18 PSU

12.6 MSU

17.2 NW

10.0 OSU

12.4 IOWA

12.2 WISC

8.2 RUTGERS

I would say 8.2 is probably not the standard, but the difference between 8.2 and 12 PPG is an enormous gap in scoring in conference games.

So I just figured I know the guard play impacts the offense and RU was fine through the MSG game at MSU

Mulcahy accumulated 128 points in 1st 12 B1G games. 16 points at Purdue, 15 vs Maryland, 12 at Northwestern, 12 at MSU, 11 vs PSU at the RAC, 11 at Iowa....not all wins obviously, but games were Mulcahy was in the league average of PG production.

The last 8 games, have not been ideal, for any starting player, in any lineup, but it impacts everything, when it is your starting PG

45 points in last 8 B1G games is 5.625 PPG. RU is 2-6 obviously in the last 8 games.

Could RU easily have been 3-5 with Minnesota in the win column?? Sure, but I could easily offset that RU had no business winning at Wisconsin without Caleb playing and certainly no legitimate chance down 19 early in the 2nd half at PSU.

5.6 PPG from any starting PG is not going to win many games. It's beyond just scoring, any player can hit a shooting slump, but the overall play is so severely below B1G PG standards, that your offense is going to completely unravel.

5.6 is 3 to 4 PPG below Minnesota and their PG. If I take a closer look at Michigan's PG, Dug McDaniel in all B1G games, he is at 10 PPG.

We can discuss a bunch of items, but leaping past this wide of a gap from our PG play, vs what may be far and away the least productive PG in terms of PPG in all of the B1G, is a open and easy way to bring things to a point.

We have no real options to remedy this for the Michigan game and it's not solving everything. But the team needs a guard that can at least reach the 13th best production out of 14 teams, if we are going to remotely compete in any game.

Last edited:
PM has had a stellar career, but anyone who turns on any other game can see this is a massive problem for us.
He’s had his moments, like the end of the MSU game. But other than that, he’s not a threat to score off the dribble. You’re not gonna win the the B1G with that type of guard play.
If PM has been injured, this is on Pike for not trying something different. The last 8 games have been abysmal

You're talking about how the loss of Mag and lack of depth isn't the issue, but five points per game from one player is. It's getting comical at this point.

Especially when you consider this is a player who has to be on the court 35 plus minutes due to... Drum roll.... Lack of depth.

It's not a lack of depth IMO in regard to the guard position. Your starting players have to contribute at B1G caliber levels.

Most B1G PGs are around 12PPG, we have one sitting at 5.5 PPG in the last 8 games.

Simpson is averaging more than 5.5PPG (6.2PPG) in about 15 fewer minutes per game for the entire season, at around 18 to 19 minutes per game.

If that player off the bench was not capable of playing at this level, I would agree.

We have no true depth from players 8 through 13 OR that depth is not developed to the levels we have invested in Mawot Mag over the last 2 seasons. It can't be lack of depth, Mag was not a player logging in 19 to 20 minutes a game as a freshman or sophomore. As his minutes increased, his productivity went up.

We have just not seen increase in production and play, from the PG, in February and early March in losses. Mulcahy vs MSU....RU wins....Simpson vs PSU....RU wins.

It's not as if those games were clear cut situations where RU was better than both MSU and PSU for all 40 minutes. I believe Simpson is part of the depth, beyond that, it's not developed or immediately helpful.

monty python kick GIF

It's not a lack of depth IMO in regard to the guard position. Your starting players have to contribute at B1G caliber levels.

Most B1G PGs are around 12PPG, we have one sitting at 5.5 PPG in the last 8 games.

Simpson is averaging more than 5.5PPG (6.2PPG) in about 15 fewer minutes per game for the entire season, at around 18 to 19 minutes per game.

If that player off the bench was not capable of playing at this level, I would agree.

We have no true depth from players 8 through 13 OR that depth is not developed to the levels we have invested in Mawot Mag over the last 2 seasons. It can't be lack of depth, Mag was not a player logging in 19 to 20 minutes a game as a freshman or sophomore. As his minutes increased, his productivity went up.

We have just not seen increase in production and play, from the PG, in February and early March in losses. Mulcahy vs MSU....RU wins....Simpson vs PSU....RU wins.

It's not as if those games were clear cut situations where RU was better than both MSU and PSU for all 40 minutes. I believe Simpson is part of the depth, beyond that, it's not developed or immediately helpful.

You're trying to spin a lot here.

1. Swap the minutes of Mulcahy/Simpson, and you'd have had a few more points and fewer assists and rebounds. I don't fundamentally disagree with taking minutes from Mulcahy and giving them to Simpson - but it's not a magic bullet. We still only have 6 viable players, and you're shifting deck chairs on the Titanic.

2. Simpson is our only viable bench player right now.... he's not a 1:1 sub for Mulcahy, but also backs up Spencer, McConnell, and Hyatt. Even if we added 10 minutes to his plate right now to bring him up to 30, that's not going to make up the difference in 5 of our 6 losses since Feb 4th.

3. Mag was a solid bench player the last two years who struggled with injuries. We don't have the equivalent of him on the bench right now.

4. You can't magically wave a wand and develop bench players. Some guys are just misses and don't develop to the level needed to be competitive (Palmquist, Reiber, Miller), or aren't ready "out of the box" to compete at this level (Woolfolk, Chol). Combined that becomes 5 dead scholarships out of 12 spent in recruiting....
then add losing a starter for the season, having another with a nagging back issue, and a third who's come up holding his shoulder half a dozen times this year.

So what you are trying to say is Simpson should be our primary PG and not Paul.

Bottom line right now they both should be on the court, but……

Who sits?

If they are both out there you have only 1 currently capable perimeter shooter unless you sit either Caleb or Paul.

Our March 6th problem is Paul, Caleb and Cliff should not take even a wide open 3. I don’t think there is a D1 roster that has 3 out of 5 like this.

I say this is a March 6 problem because this wasn’t the case Feb 6

Who sits?

If they are both out there you have only 1 currently capable perimeter shooter unless you sit either Caleb or Paul.

Our March 6th problem is Paul, Caleb and Cliff should not take even a wide open 3. I don’t think there is a D1 roster that has 3 out of 5 like this.

You’re leading right into the problem with Paul. If we concede he’s not the best guy on ball for the team then the routine discussion here has been put him on the wing. BUT, Paul doesn’t do very much well that you want your wing to do. How many better wings than Paul are in the country? 200? 300? More?

Unfortunately for Paul, and hopefully for us, it’s time for everyone to say their goodbyes.

Why do people think Simpson is a point guard? He's a small shooting guard.
He doesn't create shots for anyone else, he doesn't run the break to do anything but take the ball to the hoop, he struggles to run offense against any ball pressure and he doesn't pass out of ball screens.
He's a point guard in size only.
I think he can be a good B1G player, and if we have Cam and Griffiths out there, we might not need a point guard, but I don't see how Simpson is a point guard.

To summarize for those who don't read details.....

10.6 PPG in 1st 12 B1G games. RU with an 8-4 B1G record.

5.6 PPG in last 8 games.....RU with a 2-6 record.

Agree PG is a major problem…but you’re referring to the exact same set of games with/without Mag and you continue to beat the stupid drum that losing Mag has no impact to a team with depth issues.

Haha you are really dying in that hill.

I don’t care who’s playing guard.
You keep saying our offensive talent is limited and we can’t create shots on our own.
Yet the players are obviously coached to run the clock and have ONE guy create a shot for himself.
That’s our offense.
That and die trying to get the ball to a double and Triple teamed Cliff… yet there’s no one for him to pass to…why is that?

Who sits?

That's the point - no one can sit. We don't have enough viable bodies for people to sit, unless you're advocating that Miller come in instead of Mulcahy.

Min/G over the last 8 games:
33.8 - Mulcahy
33.7 - McConnell
33.5 - Spencer
32.4 - Omoruyi
27.3 - Hyatt
19.3 - Simpson
13.4 - Palmquist

We've been running with 4 guys at 32+ minutes. It's been pretty evenly broken that the 120 min at the 1-3 spots has been Mulcahy, McConnell, Spencer, and Simpson; the 40 min at the PF spot has been Hyatt/Palmquist; the 40 min at the C spot has been Omoruyi/other.

This wasn't the case with a fully healthy roster, as we had a bit more positionless ball from 1-4. With Mag taking 25 min at the PF spot, we also had Hyatt seeing minutes at the SF alongside Mag.

That's the point - no one can sit. We don't have enough viable bodies for people to sit, unless you're advocating that Miller come in instead of Mulcahy.

Min/G over the last 8 games:
33.8 - Mulcahy
33.7 - McConnell
33.5 - Spencer
32.4 - Omoruyi
27.3 - Hyatt
19.3 - Simpson
13.4 - Palmquist

We've been running with 4 guys at 32+ minutes. It's been pretty evenly broken that the 120 min at the 1-3 spots has been Mulcahy, McConnell, Spencer, and Simpson; the 40 min at the PF spot has been Hyatt/Palmquist; the 40 min at the C spot has been Omoruyi/other.

This wasn't the case with a fully healthy roster, as we had a bit more positionless ball from 1-4. With Mag taking 25 min at the PF spot, we also had Hyatt seeing minutes at the SF alongside Mag.
That lineup flexibility and overall length seemed to be one of our strengths. We don't look long anymore.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Funny but Indiana and Purdue have 3 guards that are freshman making up those PPG.

My solution...You start Simpson over Hyatt...Hyatt needs to be coming off the bench. Much better role for him and better spark to come in and shoot when we need some points.
Simpson needs to be playing with the starters and thing is he needs the ball at the TOP OF THE KEY...not on the wing where Pike had him last night all game until finally they made a switch with <5mins left. Caleb or PM need to go into the post on occassion instead of Cliff. Just let Simpson create and other things will open up

Agree PG is a major problem…but you’re referring to the exact same set of games with/without Mag and you continue to beat the stupid drum that losing Mag has no impact to a team with depth issues.

Haha you are really dying in that hill.

Are you saying that Mulcahy can average 5PPG and Mag offsets all of that production ?? What you keep ignoring is Mag has a replacement that is closer to his production.

What you keep blindly pointing to is ignoring the steep dropoff for a player who would have been playing the same amount of minutes, if Mag was on the floor.

How this gets lost with fans is insanity. There are 4 players who are constantly on the court. Mulcahy simply is playing below levels of our 2 bench players in Hyatt and Simpson, if Mag was in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

Reactions: mugrat86
He doesn't create shots for anyone else, he doesn't run the break to do anything but take the ball to the hoop, he struggles to run offense against any ball pressure and he doesn't pass out of ball screens.
I think he can be a good B1G player, and if we have Cam and Griffiths out there, we might not need a point guard, but I don't see how Simpson is a point guard.
everyone is seeing and dreaming Geo 2.0 but forget he wasn't a great PG either.
This is all because he's moving past the high screens now and has the athletic ability to get to the rim ..which is certainly helpful when compared to the other guys and WHEN he makes good shot selection decision's.

lol I made this exact same point in my thread without seeing yours. You're absolutely right. He showed no point guard skills.

Reactions: mugrat86
Are you saying that Mulcahy can average 5PPG and Mag offsets all of that production ?? What you keep ignoring is Mag has a replacement that is closer to his production.

What you keep blindly pointing to is ignoring the steep dropoff for a player who would have been playing the same amount of minutes, if Mag was on the floor.

How this gets lost with fans is insanity. There are 4 players who are constantly on the court. Mulcahy simply is playing below levels of our 2 bench players in Hyatt and Simpson, if Mag was in the lineup for 30 minutes a game.

Mag has a replacement closer to his production? Palmquist is taking the majority of his minutes.... you think that's a comparable player?

Mulcahy has dropped off a LOT in the last several games, to be sure - and we don't have any ability to absorb that with our bench.

If you swapped Mulcahy/Simpson's minutes over the last 8 games and kept their same adjusted-for-minutes production rate (a big assumption), it that would work out to: +3.3 pts, -0.1 rb, -1.3 ast, -0.5 stl

Last edited:
Funny but Indiana and Purdue have 3 guards that are freshman making up those PPG.

My solution...You start Simpson over Hyatt...Hyatt needs to be coming off the bench. Much better role for him and better spark to come in and shoot when we need some points.
Simpson needs to be playing with the starters and thing is he needs the ball at the TOP OF THE KEY...not on the wing where Pike had him last night all game until finally they made a switch with <5mins left. Caleb or PM need to go into the post on occassion instead of Cliff. Just let Simpson create and other things will open up
remember when Pike had Paul posting and passing from the foul line to moving players and would then make some good decisions to drive or dish? I thought that was working fairly well.

Ah, all of this doesn't matter anymore. Just wondering what next year brings now.

The point is both can be true. Why is that so hard to admit?

remember when Pike had Paul posting and passing from the foul line to moving players and would then make some good decisions to drive or dish? I thought that was working fairly well.

Ah, all of this doesn't matter anymore. Just wondering what next year brings now.
Yep...when a zone was occurring he had mag or PM at the foul line and from that you had better decision making for what to do with the ball. At times he had Rieber there(bad coaching) and that was a bad possession

Reactions: MiloTalon13
everyone is seeing and dreaming Geo 2.0 but forget he wasn't a great PG either.
This is all because he's moving past the high screens now and has the athletic ability to get to the rim ..which is certainly helpful when compared to the other guys and WHEN he makes good shot selection decision's.
Maybe because I never watched young Geo, I'm more objective?

A lot of items are being placed at the feet of the coaching staff in terms of recruiting talent, lack of depth, Mawot Mag being injured but it's simply not the case.

Here are you starting B1G Point Guards and their PPG averages for the season.

13.4 INDIANA

11.3 NEBRASKA

10.0 PURDUE

9.8 MINNESOTA

8.3 MICHIGAN

16.3 MARYLAND

10.0 ILLINOIS

18 PSU

12.6 MSU

17.2 NW

10.0 OSU

12.4 IOWA

12.2 WISC

8.2 RUTGERS

I would say 8.2 is probably not the standard, but the difference between 8.2 and 12 PPG is an enormous gap in scoring in conference games.

So I just figured I know the guard play impacts the offense and RU was fine through the MSG game at MSU

Mulcahy accumulated 128 points in 1st 12 B1G games. 16 points at Purdue, 15 vs Maryland, 12 at Northwestern, 12 at MSU, 11 vs PSU at the RAC, 11 at Iowa....not all wins obviously, but games were Mulcahy was in the league average of PG production.

The last 8 games, have not been ideal, for any starting player, in any lineup, but it impacts everything, when it is your starting PG

45 points in last 8 B1G games is 5.625 PPG. RU is 2-6 obviously in the last 8 games.

Could RU easily have been 3-5 with Minnesota in the win column?? Sure, but I could easily offset that RU had no business winning at Wisconsin without Caleb playing and certainly no legitimate chance down 19 early in the 2nd half at PSU.

5.6 PPG from any starting PG is not going to win many games. It's beyond just scoring, any player can hit a shooting slump, but the overall play is so severely below B1G PG standards, that your offense is going to completely unravel.

5.6 is 3 to 4 PPG below Minnesota and their PG. If I take a closer look at Michigan's PG, Dug McDaniel in all B1G games, he is at 10 PPG.

We can discuss a bunch of items, but leaping past this wide of a gap from our PG play, vs what may be far and away the least productive PG in terms of PPG in all of the B1G, is a open and easy way to bring things to a point.

We have no real options to remedy this for the Michigan game and it's not solving everything. But the team needs a guard that can at least reach the 13th best production out of 14 teams, if we are going to remotely compete in any game.
His defensive deficiencies are also a huge problem lately. Not sure I have ever seen a player lose his whole game from the beginning to the end of season

The problem is that Simpson cannot shoot from 3 yet he never passes up 3 ball

Start Simpson, sit Mulcahy. At least Simpson can create, turns the ball over less and is better on D

The problem is that Simpson cannot shoot from 3 yet he never passes up 3 ball
Since the first Indiana game where he was 2-5, Simpson is shooting about 11% from 3.
He is 3-29 in those 23 games after going 7-19 in the first 8 games for .368
Not many shots though - so hopefully not an indicator of what he'll shoot next season

What we lost in Mawot Mag,

7.8 pts, 6th in scoring
5.3 rebounds, Caleb and Mag were 2nd and 3rd on team
1.1 assists

2nd in FG% 67-134 50.0%, 25-37 68% last 7 gm(5-2)
Mag 40-59 67.8% at the rim, 20-30 66.7% from 2pt last 7
18-45 40% mid range, 1st on team

Cliff 135-212 63.7% at the rim, 27-92 29.3% mid range
36-61 59% since Mag's injury being the only consistent post option

3pt FG 9-30, 30%, hit 5-7 71% from 3 in last 7 gm
2nd in EFG, 53.4% to Cam's 54.4%
2nd in Free Throw Rate to Cliff, 37-50 74% 3rd in %

He was the glue that held everything together from PG to C, that stabilizing force. It's a shame he blew out his knee in a NBA arena we shouldn't have been playing at in the first place cost us what would have been a special year, instead of stumbling across the finish line.

His loss has impacted anyone who plays the point guard the last 8 games. It created a huge hole no one has come close to filling.

Last edited:
Start Simpson, sit Mulcahy. At least Simpson can create, turns the ball over less and is better on D

I honestly don't care who starts - it's # of minutes.

Mulcahy's not going to have a 0 min game unless he's physically incapable of walking. Over the last 8 games, he's been averaging around 33-34 min, while Simpson's been averaging 19-20. If you take 13-14 min off of Mulcahy and give them to Simpson, it doesn't make a huge impact.

Clearly , Paul Mulcahy has killed is the last 8 games , Yes scoring 5.5 points per game for a starting point guard or any damn starter is killing us. But you are blind if you do not see the MAG loss as massive. He not only was scoring 10 points a game over his last 7 games and was about to score his 9th point when he got hurt with 5:25 left in the first half, Hyatt was coming off the bench for 6-12 points. So we were getting 16–22 from the 4 spot. Why are we scoring 43 and 53 points against Michigan and NW at home and only around 60 on the road during this stretch , because we are missing MAG offensively. Not to mention his press defense which was elite , his help defense with Cliff and the rest of the team , his offensive rebounding , almost non existent now and defense rebounding . Our depth and rotations have been abysmal.

Now Paul and to a lesser extent Caleb because of injuries have struggled offensively as starting BIG 10 guards. I expected each to score 10 points a game. The number of times I have looked up midway through a game and see 1 or both have 0 or just 2 points. , is way too often , and clearly why we are losing . Cam also hasn’t done enough to make up the slack . Derek has been a spark these last 2-3 games but not enough to offset the starters lack of offensive production. If we still had Mag then Derek ‘s points with Mag’s points keep us in these games.

Derek has also caused a serious defensive problem. He has gotten in his stance instead of putting pressure on opposing point guards and it has literally killed us and cost us 10 points in each of the Michigan and Northwestern games. Boo Buie threw 5 lobs to Nickerson for dunks because Derek gave too much space and never fought over 1 screen. Pup McDaniel did the same thing in the Michigan game and hit 4-5 midrange shots. Derek defended most of them along with Cam. That costs 10 points in each game. So although we need Derek’s offense , breakdown ability , we need his defense to get better.

Mag brings so much more to that table than stats. His nonstop energy is infectious. He moves all over the court, which may help tire opponents and lead to some mismatches.

He also can pretty much guard 1 thru 4 and even an occasional smaller 5.

His pressure forces other teams to use seconds off the clock lead to turnovers or forces shots.

And over his last half dozen games he became a very efficient scorer.

Mag brings so much more to that table than stats. His nonstop energy is infectious. He moves all over the court, which may help tire opponents and lead to some mismatches.

He also can pretty much guard 1 thru 4 and even an occasional smaller 5.

His pressure forces other teams to use seconds off the clock lead to turnovers or forces shots.

And over his last half dozen games he became a very efficient scorer.
It's amazing how our press went from a tremendous asset to a liability without Mag.
I'll admit I would have never predicted how important Mag was to our team success.

We obviously need better PG production

If the offense was going to be more dangerous and explosive without Mag as you insisted, why has our PG play gotten significantly worse? Wouldn't PGs play better on a more dangerous and explosive offense?

Reactions: S_Janowski
His defensive deficiencies are also a huge problem lately. Not sure I have ever seen a player lose his whole game from the beginning to the end of season
Unfortunately his defensive deficiencies have been there all along its just now as we are scoring even less his deficiencies are more glaring as the last two games really illustrated; He can't guard opposing guards they either get right by him or he is caught napping(ball watching) and his man either hits a wide open three or as we saw in Minnesota his guy went right by him for the put back in the final minute as you see him just watching the ball!!!

It's amazing how our press went from a tremendous asset to a liability without Mag.
I'll admit I would have never predicted how important Mag was to our team success.
Thank god someone else said it I have been saying this adnauseum our press is horrible without Mag he was literally a one man press; even if we didn't cause a turnover the opposition was getting into there offense late because it took them so long to get the ball across half court
The second is our rebounding we don't even have a second rebounder with out Mawot

Reactions: biazza38
Unfortunately his defensive deficiencies have been there all along its just now as we are scoring even less his deficiencies are more glaring as the last two games really illustrated; He can't guard opposing guards they either get right by him or he is caught napping(ball watching) and his man either hits a wide open three or as we saw in Minnesota his guy went right by him for the put back in the final minute as you see him just watching the ball!!!
Disagree with that statement while he was never a great defender he was a competent one. Lately incompetent

The point is both can be true. Why is that so hard to admit?
Both are true, one was ignored for 2 weeks and now another 2 weeks later, one far exceeds the other in terms of impact to the roster.

If Mulcahy plays normal last place B1G caliber PG, RU is 5 points per game better than without. Why is the narrative Mag holds the key to the entire roster, while ignoring Mulcahy and his collapse??

It's baffling, if I had to weigh the impact of the last 8 to 9 games on 1 vs the other, it's at minimum 80 to 85,% lack of production from Mulcahy and 15 to 20% Mag being out.

I am sure you blindfully ignored Caleb McConnell and his post game comments after the game yesterday or did I just imagine that happening??? When does actual basketball and not narratives not supported with data, take over??

Both are true, one was ignored for 2 weeks and now another 2 weeks later, one far exceeds the other in terms of impact to the roster.

If Mulcahy plays normal last place B1G caliber PG, RU is 5 points per game better than without. Why is the narrative Mag holds the key to the entire roster, while ignoring Mulcahy and his collapse??

It's baffling, if I had to weigh the impact of the last 8 to 9 games on 1 vs the other, it's at minimum 80 to 85,% lack of production from Mulcahy and 15 to 20% Mag being out.

I am sure you blindfully ignored Caleb McConnell and his post game comments after the game yesterday or did I just imagine that happening??? When does actual basketball and not narratives not supported with data, take over??

The only thing that was ignored for 2 weeks was your acknowledgment that Mags injury was a pretty big loss to overcome and our bench wasn’t deep enough to make up for it.

You have literally dismissed that notion from day 1 and actually tried telling us we would be better/more explosive on offense without him.

Plenty of people have recognized the issues with our PG position.

Glad you seem to have come around to Mags impact. Took awhile and a bunch of losses but you made it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT