ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Belichick interview

Looks like his 4 years on the job training might be leading to bigger things in the coaching world.
This promotion might be his first promotion , with more to come if he proves worthy.
For some sons the job opportunity given by the father leads to opportunities at other organizations moving up the coaching ladder.
For others it's a dead end and once the father leaves the program and gets out of the coaching business leaving the son without a job and without another program wanting him.

Maybe a Rutgers position in the future for Steve B ?

Wasn't he a long snapper after LAX? What does he know about playing safety?

I will use Frank Gagliano (former RU Track coach) as an example, who is considered one of the countries best middle distance coaches. He never ran track, he played football (QB) for the University of Richmond. He learned and kept learning from books and from other coaches. Playing the sport doesn't always equal good coaching ability. Time will tell.

Reactions: ruready07
Some of the worst cosches in history are people who excelled in that sport. Magic Johnson anyone?

I think there is something to be said for people who didn't play. They look at it differently. I'm sure some people who played have some athletic expectation that just because they had it, everyone else should too.

Regardless, Stephen rocking the block R is awesome in every way. Let's hope he runs the team someday. He will still rock it.

Some of the worst cosches in history are people who excelled in that sport. Magic Johnson anyone?

I think there is something to be said for people who didn't play. They look at it differently. I'm sure some people who played have some athletic expectation that just because they had it, everyone else should too.

David Chang (the chef) had an interesting thing to say about this topic. He was saying elite athletes rarely become good coaches because they were able to rely on a natural talent and they can't understand how others (mere mortals) can't execute to their level - which is coaching in a nutshell.

Repping the R. Saw it on the local news sportscast
davis_pats2_spts.jpg

I will use Frank Gagliano (former RU Track coach) as an example, who is considered one of the countries best middle distance coaches. He never ran track, he played football (QB) for the University of Richmond. He learned and kept learning from books and from other coaches. Playing the sport doesn't always equal good coaching ability. Time will tell.

agree, Gags is built like a lineman and was never a distance runner.. one of the best T&F distance coaches in the country for decades

I was a mediocre high school football and lacrosse player. I have coached successfully at the high school and college levels. Even more specifically I was a RB in high school and have had a ton of success as a defensive coordinator for football in high school and special teams in college.

It is all about learning and coaching not having played it.

I think it has been said that the best athletes can have issues coaching because the game usually had come a lot easier to them than most. Knowing how to get the best out of your players and actualize your vision, regardless of the athletic ability of your players, is a really special trait... Vince Lombardi possessed this.. Killed it in coaching basketball as well. He studied the games through books...and when he had players in front of him, he knew exactly how to get what he wanted out of them.

I am convinced that any great coach could coach any sport. It really doesn't matter. It is learning the fundamentals and strategy, which I don't really think is that that hard in almost any sport. Beyond that it, it is the ability to organize, teach, and motivate, which in and of itself are very different skill sets then simply understanding strategy and fundamentals. Magic Johnson knew strategy. What he didn't have was the ability to teach it and motivate. I am sure because a lot of teaching for folks like that is here, watch me. I know when I take people out surfing it is what I do, and they usually don't have a good experience because of it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Bill Belichick coach a lacrosse program at some lower level when get gets done playing with the big boys in football.

He loves lacrosse that much. I bet he would have incredible success in a sport he hasn't touched in 3 decades because the dude can coach, anything.

I am convinced that any great coach could coach any sport. It really doesn't matter. It is learning the fundamentals and strategy, which I don't really think is that that hard in almost any sport. Beyond that it, it is the ability to organize, teach, and motivate, which in and of itself are very different skill sets then simply understanding strategy and fundamentals. Magic Johnson knew strategy. What he didn't have was the ability to teach it and motivate. I am sure because a lot of teaching for folks like that is here, watch me. I know when I take people out surfing it is what I do, and they usually don't have a good experience because of it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Bill Belichick coach a lacrosse program at some lower level when get gets done playing with the big boys in football.

He loves lacrosse that much. I bet he would have incredible success in a sport he hasn't touched in 3 decades because the dude can coach, anything.

Well said, agree 100%. I think the same is true in corporate America with great leaders/CEOs having the ability to lead almost any organization/company.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT