ADVERTISEMENT

Stony Brook beats Lehigh

SJScarlet

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
They are on a bit of a roll having won 3 in a row. Will be a very tough game.

The top five teams on our OOC schedule are all road games for us. So far we're 1-1 in those games. Gotta find a way to go 2-1 in the remaining three, including Stony Brook.

They better not be a tough game since they lost their best player from the NCAA team of last season.

That is a big upset and an impressive win for Stony Brook.

its a tough game because of venue and circumstances and their program will be jacked up to play Pikiell and RU. Very interested to see how Rutgers responds

its a tough game because of venue and circumstances and their program will be jacked up to play Pikiell and RU. Very interested to see how Rutgers responds
We'd be jacked too no? Plus almost every guy on the roster was recruited by Pike. If anyone knows their weaknesses...

next 4 are measuring stick games...the next 3 is because I am very curious to see how RU handles being the fave in all 3 games with expectations to win them and the possiblity of going 11-1. Do they look ahead? Are they focused? Do they get flustered at Stony Brook? Do they overlook and not work hard enough to beat dangerous FDU? Can they bring enough energy to a sleepy Garden and beat a Fordham program who wants to prove something. How does RU respond as the hunted not the hunter against schools with pulses

I'll defer to the experts, but reading these posts one can conclude that there are no more weak teams on the schedule..

For the first 8 games, it's been good to see not only the wins but the full participation of 10 players. Playing the bench has to have some pay off down the road..

My only 2 negatives of the night

1. Ft shooting
2. Team clowning around at halftime warmups doing crazy dunks.

I don't think, or frankly any team, is above being overconfident.

Sagarin has it as a 7-point win for #106 Rutgers (75.65) at #267 Stony Brook (65.05).

Lehigh has had a strange early season.

They BEAT Miss St - and an okay Princeton team. And lost by 3-points to a ranked Xavier team and lost competetively to what looks like a good Lasalle team. But lost to Yale (some close quality losses, but close wins against weak teams, and an upset against U. Wash). And they lost to Arkansas St - which is 7-2, with wins over Georgetown, Tenn-Chatt and Cleveland St, in addition to Lehigh.

My point would be that Stony Brook's win over Lehigh should be a red flag ... RU CANNOT underestimate them. Also, of course, Stony Brook WAS an NCAA team last year. Of course, you KNOW Pikiell will prep the team well for his old team.

Reactions: RUFAN4LIFE!
Omg we worry about a 267 stony brook....... they had one player in a crap conf and lasted 23 seconds in ncaa tourney....... shu is only tough occ game

TMCB, We are not in a position to take anyone for granted. St. John's lost to Delaware State, Indiana lost to Ft. Worth. Upsets happen every night. We must be ready to play every night.

Omg we worry about a 267 stony brook....... they had one player in a crap conf and lasted 23 seconds in ncaa tourney....... shu is only tough occ game

Lol stony brook is a good team man. You want to know why?

Well, tons of their players have been coached by well...Steve Pikiell, Jay Young, Dave VD, Bryan Dougher. Coached and recruited.

Rutgers basketball benefit?Well, Pikiell recruited these kids, so he knows exactly how they play. That one kid has no left hand, force him right. That kid fouls a lot, drive and stick your elbows out at him. The other kid favorite three is in the corner, run him out. Etc.

Still, this is obviously a team that cannot in no way, shape or form be overlooked. Plus, 15 wins for Pikiell helps him recruit. They need everything, and they cannot overlook anybody.

I sense SHU is getting a little worried about Rutgers. They say "no, it still Rutgers" but there is a little worry. That will be a good game.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I was just adding humor but really stony brook? Please...... the only good kid is gone. Im aware Rutgers has not arrived yet but I can say we are vastly improved, well coached, and have a deep bench. It would be a bad loss for even Rutgers. Time to act like a major Big Ten team

Reactions: RUJMM78
They hung with Maryland and BC.
That is enough for me to heed
We are in no position to look past anyone

I was just adding humor but really stony brook? Please...... the only good kid is gone. Im aware Rutgers has not arrived yet but I can say we are vastly improved, well coached, and have a deep bench. It would be a bad loss for even Rutgers. Time to act like a major Big Ten team

its post like these where I simply have to shake my head. This is a very dangerous game for a Rutgers program that is just learning to win and find an indentity...you only have to look at the upsets of Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa and Penn State to know that these things are pretty common early on. Rutgers is in no position to assume wins against anyone especially a jacked up Stony Brook with RU and Pikiell returning to their gym

Assume a win? No. But come on, half of the posts on hear sound like we will be fortunate to escape with a one point victory in triple OT. Yes, they will be fired up to face their old coach. We should be fired up too, and like TMCB said, a B1G team should expect to take care of business against a team ranked #267 or whatever it is come Saturday.

The anxiety for SB is based on how extremely weak our schedule to this point has been. This is a step up over 7 of our 9 opponents. Given our history as RU fans, our bubble can burst very easily resulting in over-reacting to a loss to a team better than what we've faced but certainly not conference quality --just when we are getting our hopes up about surprising in conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT