ADVERTISEMENT

STOP PILING ON THE KIDS!

RUTRINI

Senior
Jul 18, 2003
You want recruits to come here? Sure we are all disappointed and want to see better results on the court but my goodness...have some hope and belief in the kids. Don't complain about the kids quitting when you quit on them as fans. Talking about transferring??? These kids love RU and played hard for the fans when the RAC was rocking. Now when they need us to believe in and support them more than ever you want to kick them out of locker rooms??? They have earned some good will from us as fans and we need to hang with them sink or swim.

GO RU

I agree we shouldn’t pile on them. I just think it’s the fanatic in everyone to want to win and everyone is frustrated

Reactions: Plum Street
You want recruits to come here? Sure we are all disappointed and want to see better results on the court but my goodness...have some hope and belief in the kids. Don't complain about the kids quitting when you quit on them as fans. Talking about transferring??? These kids love RU and played hard for the fans when the RAC was rocking. Now when they need us to believe in and support them more than ever you want to kick them out of locker rooms??? They have earned some good will from us as fans and we need to hang with them sink or swim.

GO RU
I 100% believe they can turn it around but sending a message (e.g. locker room revoked) isn't unreasonable if it were an effort thing. It's not really an effort thing, it's a different kind of mental struggle.

The transferring posts... ok lol. Yeah a transfer or two wouldn't shock me, like we see everywhere else in the country. Think we've been kinda lucky that no bench rotational guys have left in a few years.

You know why Mike Rice teams always fought and never looked soft as baby shit? Their coach told them they sucked.

This team needs to be told they suck and to wake up.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
How can you not be pissed off? We have been waiting decades for competent play, finally get one season and then Covid hits... now we are going clearly backwards
No doubt...but we have to hold it together.

No, the “kids” deserve exactly what they’re getting. What they don’t deserve are personal shots about them as people, but questioning their collective heart and demanding more from them on the court based on their recent inept, selfish, apathetic play is completely reasonable.

You know why Mike Rice teams always fought and never looked soft as baby shit? Their coach told them they sucked.

This team needs to be told they suck and to wake up.

I think Mike Rice could have been good if he could control himself, but..

last years team was way better than any Mike Rice team and this team is still much better analytically than any Mike Rice team was.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
No, the “kids” deserve exactly what they’re getting. What they don’t deserve are personal shots about them as people, but questioning their collective heart and demanding more from them on the court based on their recent inept, selfish, apathetic play is completely reasonable.
Okay all reasonable points and we can agree on those observations. What is happening at the FT line cannot be explained and is symptomatic of a loss of confidence in my opinion. We have to get it back. Leadership is required and we will see who steps up.

Mitchell win against Villanova had anything to do with the RAC?
I’d say the RAC last season was much louder than anything Rice had during his tenure.

Its not even individual games man. Pikes teams clearly can only win games at home with fans. It’s crazy you’re even debating this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're all suffering from the, "these guys have matured together and improved their play over their time together, and are finally upperclassmen that should be working together like a well-oiled machine" mentality. The part I may be wrong about, is that we saw this happen with . . . I'm gonna say, Gonzaga, at some point? They were always "eh", and then they got really good all at once, and that was their jumping off point to consistency. It may be another team like that that I'm thinking of (or maybe a few teams like that -- Davidson?). Anyway, I think we all thought this would be THAT year, and the start of this year felt like it was coming true. There's still plenty of time, of course, and hopefully these guys can find their mojo again.

Reactions: RUTRINI
Waiting to get down 15 before we start putting in effort and a sense of urgency is frustrating
Don’t confuse making outside shots with playing with urgency. After nailing those 3s to get back in the game we had no intensity in the defensive end.

we need to get back to rebounding, defending and winning 50/50s. If the guys wearing the C won’t do that we are nothing.

I’d say the RAC last season was much louder than anything Rice had during his tenure.

Its not even individual games man. Pikes teams clearly can only win games at home with fans. It’s crazy you’re even debating this.
I have facts on my side

Lol “facts.”

Facts are that we couldn’t win away from home last season and can’t win this season home or away with no fans.
Yes the RAC is a great tool and it helps but playing with energy defensively , on the boards , and then moving the ballon offense determines who wins instead of where the game is. I will point you to 3 games last year. Go watch the tapes. Seton Hall , Illinois and Maryland. These 3 games against top 10-15 were at the RAC but the level of basketball played on those 3 games to get 20 point leads against those 3 tourney probably Sweet 16 teams , had to do with the players executing a game plan and playing great basketball. This year we don’t play defense with the same intensity , we do not rebound with the same intensity , and we do not move the ball on offense or take advantage of miss matches. In those 3 games we probably could have beaten any team in the country. When we get back to doing those things we will win at the RAC or away from the RAC without fans.

Yes the RAC is a great tool and it helps but playing with energy defensively , on the boards , and then moving the ballon offense determines who wins instead of where the game is. I will point you to 3 games last year. Go watch the tapes. Seton Hall , Illinois and Maryland. These 3 games against top 10-15 were at the RAC but the level of basketball played on those 3 games to get 20 point leads against those 3 tourney probably Sweet 16 teams , had to do with the players executing a game plan and playing great basketball. This year we don’t play defense with the same intensity , we do not rebound with the same intensity , and we do not move the ball on offense or take advantage of miss matches. In those 3 games we probably could have beaten any team in the country. When we get back to doing those things we will win at the RAC or away from the RAC without fans.

The start of the other two games don’t ring a bell, but the start of the SHU game were scripted plays that the players executed and made the RAC explode. We basically punched SHU in the mouth and Powell got hurt and they couldn’t recover.

It’s not like we did any thing fancy after that early run. The game actually played out even afterwards.

Don’t pile on the kids ? Theses are athletes who have trained for probably 15 + years . Do you believe they care what we say if they know it is factual and true . At this moment we lack the intensity and drive to succeed in a very strong conference. Perhaps the best in the USA top to bottom. I still talk to many young kids especially while dragging my old ass around a high school track with the wife daily. Most always ask me about Rutgers sports and know I still die a thousand deaths when they play like crap. These kids as you call them can take criticism or should be able to take our criticisms . They surely love it when we go crazy over the top when they win. So this “ don’t pile on “ whine is soft . Is that what you want? How they have played recently is soft and sorry it needs to be emphasized by all . The staff and team needs to make a big choice before the next several games. I don’t mind losses when we play hard . What I can’t stomach is some fans also excusing lackluster efforts As a legitimate excuse.

GO RU
You really know very little about what these players need. Should we all line up for the next game at home ? Perhaps a group hug? No , a reality check is what they need and Piekell better send a clear message. If he doesn’t shame on Steve. Part of the problem sometime you have to hurt the ones you love the most in order to get the desired results.

A Kumbaya moment for these players and staff outside the RAC. How about a gut check ?

As the wisdom goes, defense should travel....so there shouldn't be an excuse that this team needs fans to perform, at least on that end of the floor. Sure, there is energy from a home crowd that can help elevate or even sustain defensive intensity, but the players need to bring it from the opening tip. The coaching staff and team leaders need to get themselves and their teammates on board to salvage this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT