ADVERTISEMENT

Students/band...

Please DON’T stop counting down the clock. I always liked to think that I was helping the team. Who cares about these one or two dudes. There should be no reason we don’t get a shot off at home due to shot clock violation.

Our shot selection tends to be very poor when this is done. If this was a senior dominated team maybe I could agree with this but it’s ****ing stupid otherwise.

I don't have an issue with it. Are we taking bad shots with time left on the clock because the band and students are doing this? I'm sure if Pike and the staff don't like it, they could pass the word to the band director and get it changed.

Our shot selection tends to be very poor when this is done. If this was a senior dominated team maybe I could agree with this but it’s ****ing stupid otherwise.
Rather have a lousy shot than no shot. I think the countdown has saved us some shot clock violations over the course of a few games.

Reactions: RedChucken123
Both groups showed up tonight while the 100s were glued to their seats in an amazing game. RAC has a loooooong way to go to get back to its old self.

Kudos to those who made it out in this cold but, yeah, talk to me when there’s 2000+ students in the building lol!

Reactions: bac2therac

respectfully disagree..... when we have the ball and the crowd counts down from ten, it actually keeps the player knowing exactly how much time we have left to get off the shot....

if we got off a poor shot, it is more a result that we let the clock run down and were not in position to get a shot off, a fault of the player, and the team, not the crowd

Student Section was awesome tonight...were into the game and were razzing Palmer all night.....

I don't have an issue with it. Are we taking bad shots with time left on the clock because the band and students are doing this? I'm sure if Pike and the staff don't like it, they could pass the word to the band director and get it changed.
I wouldn't over think it. If anything it makes a player look up at the shot clock. I do a lot of post game interviews and I've never had a player tell me "Man I wish they wouldn't count down the last few seconds of the shot clock."

Whether you count correctly or incorrectly for the opponent you are telling them that the time in running out. Keep quiet and let them get a shot clock violation.

Except sometimes we\they count early, and sometimes they count late. I.e. starting at 7 with 4 seconds left, or starting at 4 with 7 seconds left. It varies. And they don't do it all the time. It's just mind games.

Both groups showed up tonight while the 100s were glued to their seats in an amazing game. RAC has a loooooong way to go to get back to its old self.

This is a consequence of being mediocre-to-terrible for the better part of 25 years. We haven't created many new hardcore fans.

the RAC has been absolutely useless the past couple of seasons - minus a moment or two. A student section that is sitting the whole game? They don't make noise unless we go on a run.. its crazy. The fans who went to the seton hall game away, useless.

Need way way more from the students and the fanbase in general. Hate to say it, but the RAC is nowhere near where it should be

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
the RAC has been absolutely useless the past couple of seasons - minus a moment or two.

Completely disagree. There’s been more than a moment or two. Even with 5-6K fans the RAC comes alive. I was at both SHU last year and Ohio State this year and the building was loud and played a factor in the W’s. Nebraska looked pretty good last night.

It’s gonna take another year or two to get the RAC where it needs to be on a consistent basis but for how bad we’ve been the past 25 years we have some passionate fans who show up for big games.

the RAC has been absolutely useless the past couple of seasons - minus a moment or two. A student section that is sitting the whole game? They don't make noise unless we go on a run.. its crazy. The fans who went to the seton hall game away, useless.

Need way way more from the students and the fanbase in general. Hate to say it, but the RAC is nowhere near where it should be

You do realize over break that whatever is in that section are of the majority not students. I agree we need more standing up during the game as 10 years ago when I was in there it was jammed tight & there was no room to sit even with the level of play we had. Only during breaks. But winning will change that. The students have been good overall & there are that loyal group who are there night in & night out. We will never have a massive student section since a 1/4-1/3 of it is taken up for the band but when it is full they more than hold their own. Also thought the lower section which I sat in last night for a change was way more engage than past games. Several times with under 5 to go they were on their feet which is better than the past.

The RAC won't the "The RAC" until there are actual stakes at play. Once this team is battling for a tournament spot, or better yet a conference title, it'll be rocking the way it used to. Fans need to be invested in the season having meaning.

When I played b-ball, I was generally so focused on the game I didn’t even hear the crowd so would not have heard anyone counting down.

The RAC has been fun in spurts over the years, all while we've been historically bad. If there is a game that is remotely serious (tourne bid, top 25 match up, etc), God help that opponent in there.

Well, that could also be because the average age of the crowd looks to be around 60, at least from TV shots.? Of course these are our core most supportive fans but we definitely need a younger crowd to fill the open seats if we want a loud and intimidating arena.

Completely disagree. There’s been more than a moment or two. Even with 5-6K fans the RAC comes alive. I was at both SHU last year and Ohio State this year and the building was loud and played a factor in the W’s. Nebraska looked pretty good last night.

It’s gonna take another year or two to get the RAC where it needs to be on a consistent basis but for how bad we’ve been the past 25 years we have some passionate fans who show up for big games.

I think we have lowered the bar. For those who experience games during Waters and Bannon and Wenzel, the crowd is meek compared to now. There is nice roars at times but nothing out of the ordinary and consistent and the student section is okay but really its just a few rows of hardcores for the most part.....during Rice the team wasnt winning either but we had a better and louder student section then.

Look the biggest part of the equation is losing, students showed up in numbers at times and then the team loses and that hurts future attendance

I truly hope that the Michigan game is being hyped right now and there is a concerted effort to get as many as students in the building as possible...like putting them in the 300 level like we used to.

Well, that could also be because the average age of the crowd looks to be around 60, at least from TV shots.? Of course these are our core most supportive fans but we definitely need a younger crowd to fill the open seats if we want a loud and intimidating arena.

no ncaa since 1991 means the youngest season ticket holders are basically my age....late 40s and those fans from the 76 final 4 are now in their mid 60s. There were some memorable moments under Bannon and Waters but not enough to carry those students over as fans after they graduated given 12 straight losing seasons now. We have lost an entire generation of potential fans.

Reactions: kcg88
Can they move the student bleachers forward please?

this...its terrible..can anyone give me a reason and dont tell me safety and security because I see plenty of schools have seats right up to the edge not to mention we actually have chaired seats basically on the floor right now along the sideline. Have to put these seats back

I think we have lowered the bar. For those who experience games during Waters and Bannon and Wenzel, the crowd is meek compared to now. There is nice roars at times but nothing out of the ordinary and consistent and the student section is okay but really its just a few rows of hardcores for the most part.....during Rice the team wasnt winning either but we had a better and louder student section then.

Look the biggest part of the equation is losing, students showed up in numbers at times and then the team loses and that hurts future attendance

I truly hope that the Michigan game is being hyped right now and there is a concerted effort to get as many as students in the building as possible...like putting them in the 300 level like we used to.

Problem with only juicing the stands for games like Michigan is that we're likely to be noncompetitive and it won't be a great experience that makes them want to return.

Reactions: ruready07
no ncaa since 1991 means the youngest season ticket holders are basically my age....late 40s and those fans from the 76 final 4 are now in their mid 60s. There were some memorable moments under Bannon and Waters but not enough to carry those students over as fans after they graduated given 12 straight losing seasons now. We have lost an entire generation of potential fans.

Yup, well said. The team hasn't been ranked in four decades and has been almost completely irrelevant for 25 years. It's a minor miracle we have the fan support we do.

You do realize over break that whatever is in that section are of the majority not students. I agree we need more standing up during the game as 10 years ago when I was in there it was jammed tight & there was no room to sit even with the level of play we had. Only during breaks. But winning will change that. The students have been good overall & there are that loyal group who are there night in & night out. We will never have a massive student section since a 1/4-1/3 of it is taken up for the band but when it is full they more than hold their own. Also thought the lower section which I sat in last night for a change was way more engage than past games. Several times with under 5 to go they were on their feet which is better than the past.
“We will never have a massive student section since 1/4-1/3 of t is taken up for the band” .. you realize that the band is also students, just they’re allowed to bring in instruments. And they are some of the most passionate student fans overall, both men’s, and womens (when 0 other students show up).

I was a young teenager during the Water years and attended a few games and do agree we’re bit away to being back there....but considering we haven’t made the tourney since 91, what this program has gone through with Rice and Jordan and our conference record since joining the BIG10 the crowd is still making a difference at the RAC.

There’s still a long way to go to restoring what that building is capable of and the students need to start filling out that section on a game by game basis but I’m confident that once this team becomes even an NIT contender the RAC will start to become what it used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT