ADVERTISEMENT

Students to re-enact 1st game

So students are able to do what the administration couldn't in 3 years?

your grand kids won't be paying 50k/yr for an education from these overly paid dopes. Brick and Mortar schools won't be the norm 50 years from now.(unless highly skilled like MED , Chem Engineering and such)....:Wink:

From reading these comments, I think I might be the only one who thinks that this is a good thing. I mean, no - it's not our team playing Princeton (or anyone else) but it is something to celebrate the 150th. Will we be wearing turbans? Will there be a Dutch Reformed Minister shouting at the students from the sidelines telling them that they won't come to any good Christian end?

I say bravo! Students doing it for students (and anyone who isn't already drunk enough from tailgating all afternoon!).

If the students met, put together some outfits and choreographed a game they could pull it off and make it very entertaining. But kids today are lazy and most likely will just run around crashing into each other in modern street cloths :Shocked

If the students met, put together some outfits and choreographed a game they could pull it off and make it very entertaining. But kids today are lazy and most likely will just run around crashing into each other in modern street cloths :Shocked

well, since Athletics is involved I'm hoping it is organized to some degree and that the students are given some kind of throw back shirt/jersey to wear.

My concern is the timing. it is supposed to start at 6:15....the UMass game starts at 7:15. We already have trouble getting people inside the stadium on time this is not going to help the matter. How long can the "game" be? 30 minutes?

every single person who bitched about Rutgers doing nothing about the 150th should be showing up to this. Is it the best thing? no. Is it a game against Princeton? no. Is it something? without question.

Sorry but I disagree. Not going to rehash how much the university screwed the pooch on this one but this could be one of the most lame ways to try and make up for it.

well, since Athletics is involved I'm hoping it is organized to some degree and that the students are given some kind of throw back shirt/jersey to wear.

My concern is the timing. it is supposed to start at 6:15....the UMass game starts at 7:15. We already have trouble getting people inside the stadium on time this is not going to help the matter. How long can the "game" be? 30 minutes?
I agree with you on the timing. Also folks arriving after work will have to chose between tailgate and this event.

There is no winning with some people.

Many here actually requested this and now people are against Rutgers doing anything for the 150th?

You can't have it both ways.

The annual Soup Bowl between the band and the glee club should be played on the actual anniversary.

There is no winning with some people.

Many here actually requested this and now people are against Rutgers doing anything for the 150th?

You can't have it both ways.

you must be new here. On the Rutgers message board people will bitch, moan and complain about something and then when they get what they want they will find a way to bitch, moan and complain about that too.

Seems really odd that they are doing this before the UMASS game.

Why aren’t they doing on the actual anniversary weekend since we aren’t playing a game.

They could make a much bigger deal about it and probably get a better turnout and would probably get a lot more media attention.

Why aren’t they doing on the actual anniversary weekend since we aren’t playing a game.

They could make a much bigger deal about it and probably get a better turnout and would probably get a lot more media attention.

Rutgers gonna Rutgers?

Reactions: retired711
It's too bad we don't have a Sprint (Lightweight) Football team anymore.

It's too bad we don't have a Sprint (Lightweight) Football team anymore.
I briefly tried out for the team in the 60’s. Had trouble getting to practices being a commuter who shared car with older brother. Used to give them my annual donation til it was eliminated.

This may be the only game where students show up.

Maybe it is a part of the freshman orientation and they will be able to rehearse/practice during that?

I’ve actually been doing research about the Centennial celebration (for a project that you will be hearing about in a few weeks) and I have a copy of the letter sent from our Director of Athletics, Albert Twitchell. He talks about the student re-enactment, featuring the Ivy Club from Princeton vs. Delta Phi from Rutgers. He was very nervous about the event. Here is an excerpt from his letter to the students:

“This game will get a lot of publicity coverage, and it should not be a farce. There will be publications, and maybe radio and TV who will be asking these questions..”

As long as the athletics department sets this up and oversees it, I think that it’s a great idea. I’m sure that it could be part of the Big 10 pregame show that evening. The key is to make it historically accurate, with period costumes. It will be very cool if done properly.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT