ADVERTISEMENT

Successful Season Scenarios

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
At a minimum, these are the only 2 scenarios that now will make this a successful season .

Scenario 1: beat MSU and Maryland .
Qualify for a legitimate bowl berth at 6-6.

Scenario 2: beat Michigan or Penn state at 5-7.

Simple as that using objective measures .

I don’t really know if I could label the season a success unless something big happens like beating Michigan or penn state. A 4-8 season although what was predicted is not necessarily a success in my book. The way the season unfolded, the Iowa and Nebraska losses were potential perception shifters but resulted in failure. They laid an egg

I could label the season with pluses or minuses. the defense is good enough. The offense is going backwards, which is hard to fathom. I don’t really know how it will be fixed unless a contingency of high grade transfers come in. Wimsatt is good enough in my opinion. Hopefully he will improve. The tight end and wide receiver positions are non existent sans Ryan. Sam brown is the power back we need. Monangai and salaam are good change of pace for the occasional jet sweep or screen. Otherwise brown is the only legitimate threat in the backfield. After injury hopefully he will be the same and better than he was two games ago.
Honestly I don’t get bent out of shape about this product we see on the field anymore. I’ve accepted we are that mlb 100 loss team every year. Either lightning will catch in a bottle, but the clock is ticking. There’s too many options out there for good players to wait and see if a program will be successful. Momentum and perception is everything. Right now I see a team that put up zero points to a half decent defense. And that’s what people will read in the newspapers/online articles. The recruits see that. They don’t study the program like we do and watch every game to a “t.” Unless they are already interested/committed to the program. Ultimately I give major credit to the players and coaches who are here. They’re willing to give it a shot.

3rd scenario… we fire Greg. I know it won’t happen, but hey at least we could start to right the ship instead of sitting on our hands the next 2 years like we’re going to all to save the program less than some coaches annual salary

There is zero chance of beating Michigan or Penn state. Michigan state and Maryland away are probably ugly too. Will need some crazy stuff to happen to have a chance.
Might have a shot vs Mich state now. Particularly now depending on how much of the team gets suspended after last night.

OP is right tbh. This season was over before it started to me because we never replaced our offensive production. I had 3-9/4-8 so 5-7 with one of those wins being Michigan or PSU would be positive. Maryland or MSU would be good as well but the way we place offense, I don't see it.

No more Temple's or BCs to play where we just skate by.

Reactions: Knight Shift
At a minimum, these are the only 2 scenarios that now will make this a successful season .

Scenario 3 - Wimsatt really starts to show some promise to get us excited for next season. Barring a miracle, this season is already in the pooper.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Scenario 3 - Wimsatt really starts to show some promise to get us excited for next season. Barring a miracle, this season is already in the pooper.

for me this is the real answer. The season is a total utter waste of a year if we don’t have confidence and excitement about the QB position for next season

Given what we are facing (schedule and roster issues) and where we are in the rebuild process, my pre season hope was for 5 wins. We can still get there. Next year's expectation (hope) is at least six wins and a bowl bid. I still think we can achieve both, and would consider us on track.

Last edited:
Given what we are facing (schedule and roster issues) and where we are in the rebuild process, my pre season hope was for 5 wins. We can still get there. Next years expectation (hope) is at least six wins and a bowl bid. I still think we can achieve both, and would consider us on track.
While I hate saying wait til next year that is the reality of a rebuild. I was hoping for 6 and still hope we can get there but we let one slip away a few weeks ago.

I agree with Plum basically with his OP and Magoo with his comments on Wimsatt. I think Gavin has the chance to be good. If he runs the ball he can be really good. He could have run more yesterday but he’s not going to develop unless he makes big plays down the field.

Reactions: NBHPRU
for me this is the real answer. The season is a total utter waste of a year if we don’t have confidence and excitement about the QB position for next season

This was said from the beginning.

The motto of this year should have been
Young QBs development.
Getting Wimsatt and Simon experience and see what we have for 2023.
Thanks for all the effort Vedral but you're not part of the future (2023 and beyond). Here's a clipboard.

Instead HC Schiano tried to short cut his way and get by with Vedral, Langnon etc.
Is there any doubt Vedral was starting BC if not for being hurt?

Now we are 2/3 through the season and Wimsatt is just now getting his feet wet.
Yes he was injured (not HC Schiano fault) but the fact Vedral started Indiana means it wouldn't have mattered probably.

It would he been a different thing if the returning senior QB was good to great. But we didn't score a passing TD for the last 6 games or something in 2021.

It's not like HC Schiano was on the hot seat and needed to prioritize 2022 over any future development. He's under contract for 6 more years (coming into the season).

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
This was said from the beginning.

The motto of this year should have been
Young QBs development.
Getting Wimsatt and Simon experience and see what we have for 2023.
Thanks for all the effort Vedral but you're not part of the future (2023 and beyond). Here's a clipboard.

Instead HC Schiano tried to short cut his way and get by with Vedral, Langnon etc.
Is there any doubt Vedral was starting BC if not for being hurt?

Now we are 2/3 through the season and Wimsatt is just now getting his feet wet.
Yes he was injured (not HC Schiano fault) but the fact Vedral started Indiana means it wouldn't have mattered probably.

It would he been a different thing if the returning senior QB was good to great. But we didn't score a passing TD for the last 6 games or something in 2021.

It's not like HC Schiano was on the hot seat and needed to prioritize 2022 over any future development. He's under contract for 6 more years (coming into the season).
I disagree . Nothing substitutes winning at this level .
Schiano should do whatever it takes to get to 6-6. Gavin is a true freshman . Most of the time you don’t know what the hell you have in a true frosh anyway. Unless he’s jamelle Holloway or jalen hurts! Hell the Georgia quarterback wasn’t good until he was like 23

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I disagree . Nothing substitutes winning at this level .
Schiano should do whatever it takes to get to 6-6. Gavin is a true freshman . Most of the time you don’t know what the hell you have in a true frosh anyway. Unless he’s jamelle Holloway or jalen hurts! Hell the Georgia quarterback wasn’t good until he was like 23

And how's that working out?
Exactly - you don't know what you have.
And how do you find out?

Just pray and hope a switch flips in 2023?
If not for injuries, I would imagine HC Schiano planned on playing Vedral all year.
So then we go into 2023 with Wimsatt/Simon completely unknown?

RU’s 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes were poor and produced very few key contributors. When Schiano was hired I thought it would take until 2023 or 2024 before we’d be any good and my expectations going into this season were for 4 or 5 wins.

Considering the injuries to Vedral and Wimsatt, I’d say that this season has been a success.

Reactions: NBHPRU
I would say we need at least one more win to show some progress (same record as last year).

If we get two more that's a definite mark of success.

Don't care as much who they're against but Cult or Michigan would definitely be a very positive sign.

And how do you find out?

If not for injuries, I would imagine HC Schiano planned on playing Vedral all year.

If Vedral played all game against Nebraska we likely win. Then that puts you one win away from a bowl. With MSU right now that seems like it would have been likely.

And other than the biggest negatoids, 6-6 (minimum) would be a successful season. We'd probably be at least in the Pinstripe.

Reactions: ruinac
And how do you find out?

It’s working out as we thought .
i hate to break it to you Gavin is not hurts or Holloway.

If they beat Michigan or Penn State, it would make the Nebraska and Iowa losses particularly galling.

Reactions: Jimpeg
So? They won. They also beat Michigan State. They have 3 Big Ten wins and played great against Michigan. You think Rutgers is going to score 27 on Michigan?
In basketball, absolutely. But not only won’t they score 27 in football this year, no Schiano team ever will. In fact, it’s doubtful his teams will score 27 combined against Michigan before he’s done stealing salary here. Think about that.

In basketball, absolutely. But not only won’t they score 27 in football this year, no Schiano team ever will. In fact, it’s doubtful his teams will score 27 combined against Michigan before he’s done stealing salary here. Think about that.
lol I will take that bet. They already scored 42 against Michigan in a game

to clarify: it’s true if he gets an multi year extension, completely undeserved of course, he may score 27. But in 5 years ? You see how futile the offense is. It’s going to get worse because no P5 skill player will come here for their careers and hopes to die.

We will have a Wildcat offense within 2 years, same as 1.0.

You know what, you're just bat-shit crazy 🤪

bruce-banner-hulk.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Right now, some recruiting wins for 2023 would be what I'd look for insofar as having some success for the rest of the season. Without playing lots better in at least a couple of the remaining games, recruiting is gonna be an uphill battle from here on out.

I don’t think you realize the current talent gap, and it’s going to get wider as our recruits get weaker. The offense, if we should even be calling it that, isn’t going to attract anyone with a single other P5 offer.

Would you endorse our offense to recruits? Do you realize other programs show recruits our Offense stats? Why come here ?

I don’t think you realize the current talent gap, and it’s going to get wider as our recruits get weaker. The offense, if we should even be calling it that, isn’t going to attract anyone with a single other P5 offer.

Would you endorse our offense to recruits? Do you realize other programs show recruits our Offense stats? Why come here ?
I don't think you realize we will never be Ohio State. Never going to happen. The process is the same. Build the defense then build the offense. Only you will deny the defense is better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT