ADVERTISEMENT

Successful Season Scenarios

Of course I realize that we will never be Ohio State. Or Michigan or Penn State. His ceiling is 4th place once every 10 years.

Why does defense need to come first? Answer: it doesn’t. That’s your excuse for the Pop Warner offense ?

I don’t deny the defense is better. It can’t be worse than the offense.

Reactions: Jimpeg
I don’t think you realize the current talent gap, and it’s going to get wider as our recruits get weaker. The offense, if we should even be calling it that, isn’t going to attract anyone with a single other P5 offer.

Would you endorse our offense to recruits? Do you realize other programs show recruits our Offense stats? Why come here ?
I ask myself the very same question every time I see you post. Why do you keep coming back here? Find some other school to be a "fan" of. Please.

Reactions: Knight Shift
cxz…pretend someone else posed my questions then. Would you endorse our offense ? Would you play here if you had options?

how awkward must it be for coaches to recruit offensive skill players. What can they say ? “ Come play for RU. You’ll probably get some first downs against Wagner every year.”

Scenario 3 - Wimsatt really starts to show some promise to get us excited for next season. Barring a miracle, this season is already in the pooper.
I'd like to see this and continued good play by the defense. Would love to see one more win, but it might not happen - would also like to see us not getting blown out. I won't be happy with 4-8, but Greg gets at least 2 more years before I even begin to think about replacing him (unless we somehow regress to Ash levels, which I absolutely do not think is going to happen).

I couldn't care less about wins or losses. I just want to see some form of competency on offense. The current philosophy of protecting the football, throwing Korsak out there, and trusting the defense is just pathetic. It will never win more than 5 games in a season (even when you have the fortune of playing BC).

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I see the Schiano Haters are out in full force.

Successful Season Scenarios

Beautiful weather for the Michigan and State Penn tailgates!

For me, it’s win at least 1 more game. That’s especially true if the win is against Penn State or Michigan.

I see 1 more win as matching the trajectory I expected for the rebuild of the program. Against either of those 2 would be icing on the cake.

I don't see a win on the schedule. What little offense we had is out for the rest of the year.

That's the key for the whole year, can we generate any offense at all. Looks bleak right now for that to happen.

The goal without Brown should be scoring an offensive touchdown.

The major goal I see is getting through the rest of the season healthy. And also having 2 more great tailgates.

A win. At this point I’ll take improvements by Wimsatt and O for next season and no major injuries to key players

Actually would be signature GS. During 1.0 you could probably point to one win and one loss each year that seemed wrong on paper.
Yup.

Although, I think it's a pretty prevalent thing across most sports teams, even in the pros. Sometimes the team is good enough to survive a WTF game and still eek out a win (e.g. OSU). But those outlier games are definitely not unique to RUFB or Schiano.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The way the season unfolded, the Iowa and Nebraska losses were potential perception shifters but resulted in failure. They laid an egg
Agree.
sad james corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

RU’s 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes were poor and produced very few key contributors. When Schiano was hired I thought it would take until 2023 or 2024 before we’d be any good and my expectations going into this season were for 4 or 5 wins.

Considering the injuries to Vedral and Wimsatt, I’d say that this season has been a success.
Wow you are a glass is half full kind of guy for sure. I salute you and your optimism sir!!

cxz…pretend someone else posed my questions then. Would you endorse our offense ? Would you play here if you had options?

how awkward must it be for coaches to recruit offensive skill players. What can they say ? “ Come play for RU. You’ll probably get some first downs against Wagner every year.”
Let me answer that with a story. In 2018 Sparty hosted RU. If you remember, Gio started that game, which we lost 14-10. Went 1-11 on the season; that was the year Kansas hung 55 on us. Mark Dantonio had some commits at the game. One of those commits, whose brother was a freshman at RU at the time, realized during the game that he was rooting for RU the whole time. So Aaron Young decommitted from Mich St and signed with Rutgers.
We are miles ahead of getting blown out by a team that lost 39 of 42 going in, miles ahead of being blown out game after game.
If the worst coach in RU history could land a talented skill player during that season, it will be a slam dunk for a guy that's already taken a 1AA quality RU program and turned them into a top ten team. Didn't happen overnight the first time and it's not happening overnight now. I have every confidence he'll get us there, though. He's done it here before after all.

Reactions: NBHPRU
i think Schiano 1.0 benefitted from playing a weaker schedule then the current BIG 10 East...In 2 years if BIG 10 goes to 1 division, RU will be getting 4-5 conference wins a year and 2-3 OOC wins so 5/6/7 wins will be the norm...
If we only have to play 2 of the 4 (OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) teams every year... and replace with current west divison teams that will benefit..

A successful season will be finding and landing transfer portal talent and NIL opportunities. Developing talent is nice, but that’s the wrong tact these days. The idea that we looked at Lafayette and Sacred Heart players is amusing. And we have to drop the provincial thought that we need to land NJ and NY kids. Just get players who want to compete on a big stage and succeed. The idea that teams like Coastal Carolina and James Madison have serious players that could help us means our staff needs to expand their recruiting horizons.

Well, it all comes down to next week . We win and it’s a success. Get it done guys . No excuses

Penn State annihilated Maryland today. 0 points. 134 total yards. Unless Greg plays to win and not to lose, don't see much of a chance.
Well , if he’s playing not to lose he’s not doing a good job of it . We seem to keep losing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT