ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Catch-Up with Head Coach Scott Goodale

Anyone catch Goody saying that Janzer is going back down to 184?
I did, yeah. Janzer is kind of logjammed at 184 as Poz won't give that spot up unless the plan is for Poz to move up to 197 in 2022-23 while Soldano is RSing. Janzer is going to be a depth guy at 184 for a year...but he's a damn quality backup at 184.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I did, yeah. Janzer is kind of logjammed at 184 as Poz won't give that spot up unless the plan is for Poz to move up to 197 in 2022-23 while Soldano is RSing. Janzer is going to be a depth guy at 184 for a year...but he's a damn quality backup at 184.
I guess he can't beat Bulsak for the 197 spot, because it makes little sense to be a backup at 184 if you can start at 197. Interesting that 184 wasn't mentioned. I wonder if he'd try to drop to 174. Hopefully, Shawver and Raimo injuries heal up fast.

Last edited:
I guess he can't beat Bulsak for the 197 spot, because it makes little sense to be a backup at 184 if you can start at 197. Interesting that 184 wasn't mentioned. I wonder if he'd try to drop to 174. Hopefully, Shawver and Raimo injuries heal up fast.
I don't think it's so much that he can't beat Bulsak (I personally don't think he could but that's beside the point), I think its more about him not being comfortable at the weight and being undersized. IMO he doesn't have the frame for 197 and he was constantly getting bullied by opponents.

I don't think it's so much that he can't beat Bulsak (I personally don't think he could but that's beside the point), I think its more about him not being comfortable at the weight and being undersized. IMO he doesn't have the frame for 197 and he was constantly getting bullied by opponents.
It's definitely about not beating Bulsak. I get being undersized and uncomfortable but you don't just give up the 197 spot and all the experience you'd get because you want to wrestle lesser competition at the Wilkes Open as the 184 backup.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I don’t think it has to do with Bulsak. He’s not beating Poz so if he can’t beat Bulsak, he’s backing up at either spot and I doubt he’d want to cut an extra 13 pounds to still be a backup.

He’s better suited as a 184 but unless Poz is going 197 when Soldano gets here and takes a RS, Janzer might be out of luck. Could be a guy who ends up in the portal. Rider would make sense as I think it’s closer to his hometown but I’d like to keep his intensity in the room whether he’s starting or not.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I don’t think it has to do with Bulsak. He’s not beating Poz so if he can’t beat Bulsak, he’s backing up at either spot and I doubt he’d want to cut an extra 13 pounds to still be a backup.

He’s better suited as a 184 but unless Poz is going 197 when Soldano gets here and takes a RS, Janzer might be out of luck. Could be a guy who ends up in the portal. Rider would make sense as I think it’s closer to his hometown but I’d like to keep his intensity in the room whether he’s starting or not.
Being a South Jersey guy, if Janzer ends up in the portal due to being recruited over/not being able to start, hopefully he ends up somewhere like Penn or Drexel which are better academically than Rider.

If you can start, you take the starting spot. If he can't beat Bulsak to start at 197, then sure it makes sense to backup 184, but my point still stands that he probably can't beat Bulsak or he'd stay at 197. I'm not surprised about this as I've expressed concerns with his O since HS, but was hoping he'd develop more than the underhook O.

If you can start, you take the starting spot. If he can't beat Bulsak to start at 197, then sure it makes sense to backup 184, but my point still stands that he probably can't beat Bulsak or he'd stay at 197. I'm not surprised about this as I've expressed concerns with his O since HS, but was hoping he'd develop more than the underhook O.
If Janzer is going to be a back up in either weight, wouldn't he want to back up at a weight requiring less weight cut? Why kill yourself and be a backup at 184?

If Janzer is going to be a back up in either weight, wouldn't he want to back up at a weight requiring less weight cut? Why kill yourself and be a backup at 184?
🤷🏻‍♂️ Another valid point. Maybe he's just more comfortable at 184, maybe the weight cut isn't that bad, or maybe the bulk up to 197 slowed him down some? All speculation of course. That's why I asked if he was trying to cut to 174 and maybe challenge Turley?

I agree if you can start, you start. What I’m saying is if you can’t start at 197, why would you willingly backup 184 with the big weight cut when you can back up 197?

Reactions: Leonard23
Just crazy how deep we potentially will be at 174-184-197 over the next several years and with Myles Martin training them up, we could develop some bonafide killers over the next few years. Just need to land Jimmy Mullen as we never have had that bonafide monster Heavyweight like a Snyder/Coon/Gable.

Reactions: koleszar
I am a big fan of the "Wrestler" Billy Janzer.
He has heart and hopefully he can contribute to the team.
Janzer is jersey tough and reminds me of the grit was saw from Gravina.

I do think he performed better at 184, but Poz is on another level

Just crazy how deep we potentially will be at 174-184-197 over the next several years and with Myles Martin training them up, we could develop some bonafide killers over the next few years. Just need to land Jimmy Mullen as we never have had that bonafide monster Heavyweight like a Snyder/Coon/Gable.
The irony of course is that no more than 12 months ago, many people were calling for Leonardis’ head saying we don’t land or develop upperweights

Was never a fan of having ncaa qualifier lvl wrestlers as backups but Janzer can backup 184/197 this year.. then go back up to 197 once Bulsak graduates. This makes more sense then Poz to 197.

Janzer came to Scott and told him to go get Balzac. He will try and go to 174 or 184
So, Bill could the lineup be Turley going to 165, janzer to 174, Poz at 184, B at 197 and then Boone at heavyweight? That would seem like the only logical way Janzer would fit in the lineup.

Janzer was small during the season he was having a hard time keeping weight on. I posted that he was small awhile ago. They had to go get a 197 because Janzer isn't one anymore

Reactions: koleszar and MS-RU
Yeah, that is 100% Turley's call. If he wants to be at 165 and has proven to the coaches that he now has the discipline to make weight consistently then you obviously let him go there. If not, you don't mess with Turley's current process or development to try to squeeze Janzer in the lineup.

There are always injuries and you never know what might happen. Poz is taller and could outgrow 184. Janzer provides great depth and is a luxury to have at this point. Going down to 184 is a smart move for him as he was never going to compete at a high level at 197.

As for Hamilton, the highly-regarded heavyweight wrestler was originally slated to play tight end. He's listed at 6-foot-4 and 275 pounds.

(From Football update earlier today)

Yeah I often wonder if the football team does any conditioning

ADVERTISEMENT