ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl: PITT vs UCLA preview

Panthergrowl13

All Conference
Nov 11, 2002
I believe Vegas has #18 ranked UCLA (9-3) as a 5.5 pt favorite over PITT (8-4) which surprises me a bit (thought it would be much higher due to circumstances).

UCLA will be playing with most of their players including their QB Robinson and great RB Charbonnet who had 1359 yds this season and is projected to go in 3rd or 4th NFL Draft Rounds.

Pitt on the other hand will be without 6 starters (3 on O and 3 on D) who chose to not play for various reasons.

The two most significant loses (IMO) will be Pitt starting QB Kendon Slovis (passed for 2400 yds this year) and went into the transfer portal and will be playing for BYU next year and Pitt RB Izzy Abanikanda. This year Izzy had 1436 rushing yds for Pitt and scored 20 TDs. Izzy who completed his sophmore year is not playing and will declare for the NFL draft this year. Izzy was a Rivals 3-star player (5.6 rating) and was coached and developed into a great RB. I believe Izzy could have remained at Pitt and played an additional 2 years before going into the NFL Draft.

Every player makes a decision which they believe is in their best interest and I respect their decision.

For example, Kenny Pickett (Rival 3-star) chose to remain at Pitt for his 5th year of eligibility to increase his NFL prospects and was selected in the NFL 1st round (KP opted to not play for Pitt in the Peach Bowl against Michigan State.

Well our back up QB Nick Patti will starting for Pitt as he did last year in the Peach Bowl as well as our backup RB's.

Next man up.

SUN BOWL 2:00 PM CBS

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I believe Vegas has #18 ranked UCLA (9-3) as a 5.5 pt favorite over PITT (8-4) which surprises me a bit (thought it would be much higher due to circumstances).

UCLA will be playing with most of their players including their QB Robinson and great RB Charbonnet who had 1359 yds this season and is projected to go in 3rd or 4th NFL Draft Rounds.

Pitt on the other hand will be without 6 starters (3 on O and 3 on D) who chose to not play for various reasons.

The two most significant loses (IMO) will be Pitt starting QB Kendon Slovis (passed for 2400 yds this year) and went into the transfer portal and will be playing for BYU next year and Pitt RB Izzy Abanikanda. This year Izzy had 1436 rushing yds for Pitt and scored 20 TDs. Izzy who completed his sophmore year is not playing and will declare for the NFL draft this year. Izzy was a Rivals 3-star player (5.6 rating) and was coached and developed into a great RB. I believe Izzy could have remained at Pitt and played an additional 2 years before going into the NFL Draft.

Every player makes a decision which they believe is in their best interest and I respect their decision.

For example, Kenny Pickett (Rival 3-star) chose to remain at Pitt for his 5th year of eligibility to increase his NFL prospects and was selected in the NFL 1st round (KP opted to not play for Pitt in the Peach Bowl against Michigan State.

Well our back up QB Nick Patti will starting for Pitt as he did last year in the Peach Bowl as well as our backup RB's.

Next man up.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

this is my favorite bowl game, always has been going all the way back to the 80s....great beautiful background with the mountains. Maintaining the tradition of non New Years Day bowl and a rare CBS bowl game on during the middle of the day

Wish the Big 10 would get this game back in its tie ins

Next man up.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Izzy is a big loss for you, don't think you'll miss Slovis. He was way overrated.

Izzy will playing in the NFL next year no doubt. That kid is good.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Slovis on different teams is like bang-a mole. His path through USC mirrored JT Daniels's path. Possible competition?: uh oh, I better transfer rather than face it. Add Jaxon Dart to the USC fear of competition.

Next man up.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Hope it’s a better game than the last time I remember Pitt in the Sun Bowl. 2008 I believe against Oregon State (?). If you like punts that was your baby. Think the final was 3-0. Awful, awful game

Next man up.

According to the pregame announcers Pitt actually had 10 starters who were not going to be playing in this game (essentially half the team starters did not play).

Got to give credit to Narduzzi and the Pitt starters and backup players who defeated a good UCLA team today.

Great football game that went down to the wire.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Next man up.

According to the pregame announcers Pitt actually had 10 starters who were not going to be playing in this game (essentially half the team starters did not play).

Got to give credit to Narduzzi and the Pitt starters and backup players who defeated a good UCLA team today.

Great football game that went down to the wire.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Panther - this was a solid win. Congrats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT