ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday 2/18/18 HAPPY DAYTONA DAY (Official Daytona 500 Thread)!

BIGTENITCH

Junior
Aug 31, 2017
Besides the Olympics today is that start of the 2018 NASCAR season (first race). The Daytona 500 is one of the rights of passage of late winter-a sign spring is on the way. Not following the closest but was real happy to see Martin Truex Jr. (formerly of Mayetta, NJ/Southern Regional HS) break thRU last year and win the NASCAR Championship. Truex lost the 500 last year literally by a nose.

Any fans out there? I know Piscataway Mike and brother (haven't had a phone recently to text them) at usually in a NASCAR pool-wanted to surprise them this year but no money...

I attended the 1st televised Daytona 500 in 1979-also known for: 1)A major East Coast blizzard from Maine-Georgia that dumped 2 feet of snow over (over 2 days?) most of the East Coast and 2) A last lap win by Richard Petty after Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison collided on the last (3rd) turn and wound up in a in the infield. The one uncle I was with just passed two weeks ago.

Not a big fan but I did catch a little of the '88 Daytona 500 on TV yesterday ( Yarborough's last Daytona) . I understand attendance is way down in NASCAR, more than other sports. I'm sure that doesn't affect an iconic race like the D-500

Last edited:
Wasn't the Daytona 500 broadcast on ABC-TV's "Wide World of Sports" in the 1960s and 1970s? Or was that a taped showing of the race?

Started watching the pre-race at 11 this morning. Looking forward to Martin Truex winning! My wife, son and I went to Dover last fall and it was LOUD! Our 1st race. It was fun and look forward to going to another one this year.

Its almost 3pm and the race hasn't even started yet. Too much bullcrap anymore. No wonder why attendance and ratings are in the toilet.

Started watching the pre-race at 11 this morning. Looking forward to Martin Truex winning! My wife, son and I went to Dover last fall and it was LOUD! Our 1st race. It was fun and look forward to going to another one this year.
Once was a regular NASCAR fan, but the sport just got stupid. Too many point changes and gimmicks, too many rules to standardize, and the great personalities of the past have been replaced with boring, scripted drivers.

Once was a regular NASCAR fan, but the sport just got stupid. Too many point changes and gimmicks, too many rules to standardize, and the great personalities of the past have been replaced with boring, scripted drivers.

Ahhh, the good old days of the Daytona 500.
Wacky_Races_Wallpaper.gif

Ahh the "Wacky Races"-now THAT was racing! Speaking of Penepole Pitstop there were 3 INCREDBLE babes in one of the Buschs' pit.

Speaking of Busches Kurt Busch with the Stage 1 win. These stages R stupid-BIG wreck going for the stage points. Now Jimmy Johnson and else? out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT