ADVERTISEMENT

SUNY matching in-state tuition for OOS students

No disrespect to the SUNY schools, but outside of UVM, UNH, UMass, and UConn, I highly doubt any of the SUNY schools come even close to touching RU, PSU, Illinois, or UC-Berkeley academically.

No disrespect to the SUNY schools, but outside of UVM, UNH, UMass, and UConn, I highly doubt any of the SUNY schools come even close to touching RU, PSU, Illinois, or UC-Berkeley academically.

True, but the question is financial. Just says you have to live in the state- not actually get admitted.

So for example, if you live in NJ and get 1100 on your SATs and get rejected from not just also RU but also Rowan, you can be admitted to say, SUNY-Albany or Buffalo...and then pay the tuition you would have at Montclair.

So I don't expect this to effect RU or the Cult or Berkeley...I expect it to hit the low men on the NJ totem pole. Because honestly, it's probably more fun to spend 4 years in some little college town upstate that at commuter school like some of the lesser NJ publics.

I do know some kids from my HS that went to SUNYs...not sure if they got into RU or where else.

If you read the thread, it seems to indicate that SUNY enrollment is down. This is not a problem for RU-NB, but I do know it is at RU-C.

So if RU comes up with something on this I expect it to not target NB.

I do wish RU targeted more NYS students...their parents often have the financials, RU far outranks the SUNYs, we have sports, etc.

I am honestly surprised to at where NY is targeting to some extent. I would go after the South,...with legal weed and other protections they may have a better argument for kids just looking to get out. But personally if I were a NJ parent, after a few weeks of severe depression that my kid didn't get into RU I'd take them to see some SUNYs.

Reactions: Leonard23
True, but the question is financial. Just says you have to live in the state- not actually get admitted.

So for example, if you live in NJ and get 1100 on your SATs and get rejected from not just also RU but also Rowan, you can be admitted to say, SUNY-Albany or Buffalo...and then pay the tuition you would have at Montclair.

So I don't expect this to effect RU or the Cult or Berkeley...I expect it to hit the low men on the NJ totem pole. Because honestly, it's probably more fun to spend 4 years in some little college town upstate that at commuter school like some of the lesser NJ publics.

I do know some kids from my HS that went to SUNYs...not sure if they got into RU or where else.

If you read the thread, it seems to indicate that SUNY enrollment is down. This is not a problem for RU-NB, but I do know it is at RU-C.

So if RU comes up with something on this I expect it to not target NB.

I do wish RU targeted more NYS students...their parents often have the financials, RU far outranks the SUNYs, we have sports, etc.

I am honestly surprised to at where NY is targeting to some extent. I would go after the South,...with legal weed and other protections they may have a better argument for kids just looking to get out. But personally if I were a NJ parent, after a few weeks of severe depression that my kid didn't get into RU I'd take them to see some SUNYs.
Good point. I'd much rather attend SUNY-Albany or Buffalo or Stony Brook than Rowan or Stockton if I was an average to slightly above average NJ HS student. And yeah, RU-NB really should focus on getting NYS students OOS as the SUNYs can't touch RU-NB academically.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I wouldn't be quick to scoff at SUNY. If the website prepscholar.com is accurate, SUNY's campuses at Stony Brook and Binghamton have significantly higher SAT scores for the entering class than Rutgers'. SUNY is not known outside of New York (neither Stony Brook or Binghamton have Division I sports), but those two campuses attract excellent students.

Reactions: JoeRU
Good point. I'd much rather attend SUNY-Albany or Buffalo or Stony Brook than Rowan or Stockton if I was an average to slightly above average NJ HS student. And yeah, RU-NB really should focus on getting NYS students OOS as the SUNYs can't touch RU-NB academically.
Rowan is much better.......

Rowan is much better.......
These days I wouldn't doubt it over much of the lower end SUNYs and pretty much any public NJ school not named Rutgers-NB, Rutgers-Newark or maybe NJIT. I gotta give Rowan credit, they've become a school that kids legitimately want to attend and not as a bottom tier safety school or a glorified teacher college.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
When my son looked into SUNY-Cobbleskill for Pre-Vet animal science studies they offered a future NY state resident rate which equaled RU. The school is too far, too small, too rural. Also visited Binghamton.

He is at RU Cook Campus. He followed his parents.

The SUNY school I liked most was Cortland. My daughter looked at that school for Athletic Training but Rowan had the 5 year master program.

When my son looked into SUNY-Cobbleskill for Pre-Vet animal science studies they offered a future NY state resident rate which equaled RU. The school is too far, too small, too rural. Also visited Binghamton.

He is at RU Cook Campus. He followed his parents.

The SUNY school I liked most was Cortland. My daughter looked at that school for Athletic Training but Rowan had the 5 year master program.
SUNY has three tiers. One is the community colleges. . One is the "state university colleges. "Cortland is an example. The highest tier is the state university centers -- Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook are the leading examples. Of those, Binghamton and Stony Brook are by far the most selective. It's as though Rutgers included NJ's community colleges, state colleges and Rutgers itself. So one can be said of a school in one tier isn't true of a school in another tier.

NY State has to export as many students out of state as NJ does, I feel like. Outside of the top tier SUNYs like Buffalo, Stony Brook, Binghamton, and Albany, unless your kid is really smart and gets into Columbia, Cornell, or NYU, where do NY parents send their kids instate? I feel like NY parents would rather send their kids to Culty Valley or Rutgers-NB over a middling SUNY.

NY State has to export as many students out of state as NJ does, I feel like. Outside of the top tier SUNYs like Buffalo, Stony Brook, Binghamton, and Albany, unless your kid is really smart and gets into Columbia, Cornell, or NYU, where do NY parents send their kids instate? I feel like NY parents would rather send their kids to Culty Valley or Rutgers-NB over a middling SUNY.
At least as of 2018, New York was a net importer of college students.http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/index.php?submeasure=61&year=2018&level=nation&mode=data&state=

Remember that New York City students have the option of the City University of New York system, which includes CCNY, Brooklyn, Hunter and Queens colleges. They are not what they once were, but they are good choices for many partly because they are inexpensive. The idea of being at a commuting college may seem awful to non-New Yorkers, but it is a longstanding tradition in the city. (My older brother and the older of my two sisters went to Queens College in the early 1960s, and seem none the worse for the experience, although I am glad I did not have to do it.)

BTW, according to the site linked above, only Alaska has a bigger ratio of exported students to imported students than our fair state of New Jersey.

I think there are some culturally analogous places (LI and Westchester) and I knew a bunch of NYC kids at RU when I was there. But upstate might skew it.

At least as of 2018, New York was a net importer of college students.http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/index.php?submeasure=61&year=2018&level=nation&mode=data&state=

Remember that New York City students have the option of the City University of New York system, which includes CCNY, Brooklyn, Hunter and Queens colleges. They are not what they once were, but they are good choices for many partly because they are inexpensive. The idea of being at a commuting college may seem awful to non-New Yorkers, but it is a longstanding tradition in the city. (My older brother and the older of my two sisters went to Queens College in the early 1960s, and seem none the worse for the experience, although I am glad I did not have to do it.)

BTW, according to the site linked above, only Alaska has a bigger ratio of exported students to imported students than our fair state of New Jersey.

A lot of that is also prestigious private schools- NYU, Cooper Union, Columbia, Cornell, Univ of Rochester, some smaller schools like Colgate or RPI.

A lot of that is also prestigious private schools- NYU, Cooper Union, Columbia, Cornell, Univ of Rochester, some smaller schools like Colgate or RPI.
Yes, all of those schools draw from a national or international applicant pool. NYU, the largest among them, has in its undergraduate population 66% out of state students and 16% from abroad.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
(neither Stony Brook or Binghamton have Division I sports)

Maybe Binghamton but Stony Brook definitely has D1 athletics. So 3 of 4 of the University Centers offer D1 sports programs. It's due to them having regional conference affiliations that don't have the bigger TV network deals and wider appeal that they tend to fly under the radar nationally.

Maybe Binghamton but Stony Brook definitely has D1 athletics. So 3 of 4 of the University Centers offer D1 sports programs. It's due to them having regional conference affiliations that don't have the bigger TV network deals and wider appeal that they tend to fly under the radar nationally.
Thanks for the correction! When I checked, I found that both Binghamton and Stony Brook have Division I athletics -- but Binghamton does not have a football team. But there is a problem, which is that neither school competes under the SUNY name. (The same is true, as you know, of Buffalo and Albany.) So SUNY as an institution has no sports identity, which undoubtedly hurts in attracting public attention.

But there is a problem, which is that neither school competes under the SUNY name. (The same is true, as you know, of Buffalo and Albany.) So SUNY as an institution has no sports identity, which undoubtedly hurts in attracting public attention.
My impression is that this has been an intentional branding strategy, and possibly not only for athletics but for each of the four university centers overall.

It would appear to be more challenging to establish brand recognition for the system through regional campuses located across different parts of the state as a single entity, unless one of the four is the clear flagship that carries the "SUNY" tag (doesn't help that 4 letter acronyms are just a bit more cumbersome than 3 or 2 letter ones) while the other campuses acquiesce to "SUNY-insert place name" branding.

My impression is that this has been an intentional branding strategy, and possibly not only for athletics but for each of the four university centers overall.

It would appear to be more challenging to establish brand recognition for the system through regional campuses located across different parts of the state as a single entity, unless one of the four is the clear flagship that carries the "SUNY" tag (doesn't help that 4 letter acronyms are just a bit more cumbersome than 3 or 2 letter ones) while the other campuses acquiesce to "SUNY-insert place name" branding.
I agree it is an intentional branding strategy -- adopted, as you indicate, for lack of a good alternative. Probably the idea is to parallel the City University of New York, where the constituent colleges (which came into existence decades before the term "City University of New York" was coined) have always had separate identities.

Binghamton and Stony Brook have decidedly better first-year student profiles than Buffalo and Albany. It would be hard to decide between the first two as flagships and would cause NYC vs. upstate controversy.

I agree it is an intentional branding strategy -- adopted, as you indicate, for lack of a good alternative. Probably the idea is to parallel the City University of New York, where the constituent colleges (which came into existence decades before the term "City University of New York" was coined) have always had separate identities.

Binghamton and Stony Brook have decidedly better first-year student profiles than Buffalo and Albany. It would be hard to decide between the first two as flagships and would cause NYC vs. upstate controversy.
I should add that Buffalo and Albany were founded as private universities in the 19th century. Binghamton started as an offshoot of Syracuse, but achieved independent stature as Harpur College. Stony Brook is the youngest of the four, founded in 1965. Stony Brook is on Long Island, and attracts a fair number of students from NYC whose parents are willing to pay for them to live away from home. As the City University colleges decline in prestige, Stony Brook becomes an increasingly attractive alternative.

Probably full of snobby rich kids too dumb to get into Cornell or Columbia, much like TCNJ kids who are too snobby for RU-NB and too dumb for Penn or Princeton.
Maybe. But if you're a rich kid good enough for SUNY Genesco, there are plenty of private college options in New York that will sound more "prestigious" to your friends.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Where does Ithaca fall in that group, if at all?

Where does Ithaca fall in that group, if at all?
It is a fine school. I'd put it on that list for sure -- and Ithaca by all accounts is a great place to go to college in part because of the proximity of Cornell, which helps make it a college town. FWIW, it has an excellent U.S. News ranking.

Reactions: tico brown
My $.02…

- Binghamton I have been told does and has earned that good reputation.

- Ithaca (the area not just the individual school) used to be known in higher education as the suicide capital. Guessing Cornell adds to that?

- Stony Brook is making a move athletically, they are now in the CAA. Great spot for them. Don’t forget Pike came from there.

- Binghamton, the town, while not having Football at the school does have minor league hockey (think “Slapshot” - no NHL connection, used to be connected to the Devils) and baseball (Mets AA farm team). So there is stuff to do.

Last edited:
Binghamton has always been an excellent academic school and difficult to get into. Albany is pretty good too. Stonybrook is a commuter suitcase school. I doubt it would be attractive to out of state kids as most (or a high percentage) students pack up and go home on weekends.

My $.02…

- Binghamton I have been told does and has earned that good reputation.

- Ithaca (the area not just the individual school) used to be known in higher education as the suicide capital. Guessing Cornell adds to that?

- Stony Brook is making a move athletically, they are now in the CAA. Great spot for them. Don’t forget Pike came from there.

- Binghamton, the town, while not having Football at the school does have minor league hockey (think “Slapshot” - no NHL connection, used to be connected to the Devils) and baseball (Mets AA farm team). So there is stuff to do.
You are thinking of a spate of suicides of Cornell students who jumped into gorges on and near the Cornell campus. It's over a decade past. Cornell addressed the problem in part by installing nets in the gorges.

Reactions: Leonard23
I wonder why Binghamton isn't. I know they have graduate programs. Their first-year class profile is considerably better than Buffalo's.

AAU is a matter of research heft. Despite having graduate programs, Binghamton may not produce the scholarly research output needed to attain AAU status. Entering undergraduate student profile may have little to no influence on AAU qualification.

UB and SBU both have medical schools, while BU does not, so that probably helps bump up their relative profile on the research front.

AAU is a matter of research heft. Despite having graduate programs, Binghamton may not produce the scholarly research output needed to attain AAU status. Entering undergraduate student profile may have little to no influence on AAU qualification.

UB and SBU both have medical schools, while BU does not, so that probably helps bump up their relative profile on the research front.
That's certainly right. Buffalo, for instance, has many more graduate programs than Binghamton. The AAU's criteria for membership deal only with research and graduate education. There are members without medical schools (e.g. Berkeley) and Rutgers was admitted before we had one, but of course it has to help to have one. https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/membership-policy

Probably full of snobby rich kids too dumb to get into Cornell or Columbia, much like TCNJ kids who are too snobby for RU-NB and too dumb for Penn or Princeton.
Is this TCNJ's reputation? I'd like my son to go to Rutgers but we were thinking TCNJ may be a better fit for him because of the smaller class sizes, single campus, etc. "Snobby rich kids" would not be his social circle ("smart geeky kids" is more his speed).

SUNY is waiving application fees through this Sunday, which is obviously a good way to increase their applicant pool. As for the tuition match, NJ 101.5's meteorologist, who must also double as their education reporter, says it's not such a bargain compared to their regular out-of-state tuition and fees (warning: the NJ 101.5 website is a pop up ad-choked hot mess):

NJ 101.5 says don't believe the hype

NY State must really subsidize their colleges because their in-state and out-of-state tuition rates (except for the flagships) are pretty low.

Last edited:
Is this TCNJ's reputation? I'd like my son to go to Rutgers but we were thinking TCNJ may be a better fit for him because of the smaller class sizes, single campus, etc. "Snobby rich kids" would not be his social circle ("smart geeky kids" is more his speed).

SUNY is waving application fees through this Sunday, which is obviously a good way to increase their applicant pool. As for the tuition match, NJ 101.5's meteorologist, who must also double as their education reporter, says it's not such a bargain compared to their regular out-of-state tuition and fees. NY State must really subsidize their colleges because it
I think you and your son should spend some time at TCNJ before concluding that it's a bunch of "snobby rich kids." A "snobby rich kid" is going to go to a private college, not TCNJ. I am not sure that "smart geeky kids" is a good description either, but judge for yourself.

NY State does not subsidize its colleges heavily, but any place looks good when you compare it to how stingy the New Jersey legislature is with Rutgers.

I've been out of touch with SUNY schools, but it used to be that they were best shopped by department and faculty (like Purchase for acting/film and Alfred for industrial ceramics) rather than school name and ranking. Upsate NY had a lot of industry (like Kodak, IBM, Corning, Xerox) that was part of the university fabric. The colleges would have departments that reflected the industries. A portion of what became Silicon Valley started in upstate NY.

With the demise of the industries and the rise of the gender studies departments, I'm not sure what SUNY college is the least toxic. I got accepted to a PhD program @ Binghamton (they had the unique Fernand Braudel Center for the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations) but I left after one day because I didn't like Binghamton (despite liking the Southern Tier geography).

Some upstate SUNY schools will do better now the Micron is putting 100 billion into fabs up by Syracuse, and Global Foundries (makes AMD chips) moved HQ from CA to Albany area. There are some scenic upstate SUNY towns I really like and could live in (not Binghamton though).

I think the prestige and ranking thing is taking a big hit. Whole fields of study (like psychology) are collapsing into rubbish, and too many MBAs and Kennedy School grads drove the country and economy over a cliff

Last edited:
I've been out of touch with SUNY schools, but it used to be that they were best shopped by department and faculty (like Purchase for acting, film and Alfred for industrial ceramics) rather than school name and ranking. Upsate NY had a lot of industry (like Kodak, IBM, Corning, Xerox) that was part of the university fabric. The colleges would have departments that reflected the industries. A portion of what became Silicon Valley started in upstate NY.

With the demise of the industries and the rise of the gender studies departments, I'm not sure what SUNY college is the least toxic. I got accepted to a PhD program @ Binghamton (they had the unique Fernand Braudel Center for the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations) but I left after one day because I didn't like Binghamton (despite liking the Southern Tier geography).

Some upstate SUNY schools will do better now the Micron is putting 100 billion into fabs up by Syracuse, and Global Foundries (makes AMD chips) moved HQ from CA to Albany area. There are some scenic upstate SUNY towns I really like and could live in (not Binghamton though).

I think the prestige and ranking thing is taking a big hit. Whole fields of study (like psychology) are collapsing into rubbish, and too many MBAs and Kennedy School grads drove the country and economy over a cliff
I have a nephew who went to SUNY Binghamton and liked it. But, of course, each to his own.

I hope you're right that the prestige and rankings thing is taking a big hit. No school is right for everyone. There is so much that should go into a decision about where (and whether) to go to college, graduate school, or professional school that can't be captured by a ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT