ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl III Anniversary This Thursday and The Rutgers Football Connection

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
In Super Bowl III on January 12, 1969, the AFL Champion New York Jets played the heavily favored NFL Champion Baltimore Colts at the Orange Bowl in Miami. During the first quarter, a sketchy catch-and-fumble turnover call gave the Colts the ball deep in Jets territory. The Colts faced a third and three from the New York six yard line. Quarterback Earl Morrall threw an end zone pass that was deflected by the Jets Al Atkinson into the shoulder pad of the Colts intended receiver. The ball popped high into the air and was caught and intercepted by Randy Beverly in the end zone to keep the game scoreless. The intended receiver was Tom Mitchell. Mitchell began his career with the 1966 Oakland Raiders, played for the Colts from 1968-73 and finished with the San Francisco 49ers in 1977. He passed away in 2017 but he had a daughter, Christina, born in 1968. She married and has four children. Her husband is the two-time head coach of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights - Greg Schiano.

quite certain I have a few of his football cards somewhere..
s-l1600.jpg

My second year as a Jets fan. My thought at the time was winning the Super Bowl was going to be a regular event for the Jets. Oh well.

In Super Bowl III on January 12, 1969, the AFL Champion New York Jets played the heavily favored NFL Champion Baltimore Colts at the Orange Bowl in Miami. During the first quarter, a sketchy catch-and-fumble turnover call gave the Colts the ball deep in Jets territory. The Colts faced a third and three from the New York six yard line. Quarterback Earl Morrall threw an end zone pass that was deflected by the Jets Al Atkinson into the shoulder pad of the Colts intended receiver. The ball popped high into the air and was caught and intercepted by Randy Beverly in the end zone to keep the game scoreless. The intended receiver was Tom Mitchell. Mitchell began his career with the 1966 Oakland Raiders, played for the Colts from 1968-73 and finished with the San Francisco 49ers in 1977. He passed away in 2017 but he had a daughter, Christina, born in 1968. She married and has four children. Her husband is the two-time head coach of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights - Greg Schiano.
Can you connect this to Kevin Bacon somehow?

Reactions: WasatRutgers
I was 10 at that time and remember watching Super Bowl lll from my couch. Of course I was sick with a virus - a common occurance when I was young. I was convinced the Jets would blow the game even though they controlled the game throughout. I had become a Jet fan about a year earlier, watching those old AFL games on NBC.

Namath was my all time favorite player. I was in third grade for Super Bowl III and bet my teacher 25 cents that the Jets would win outright, no points given to me.

Reactions: cRURah
The Jets still played in NY during that magical season, in Shea Stadium on Long Island. So another Rutgers connection to that season was that the Rutgers Marching 100 did the half time of one of the later home games in 1968. IIRC, Joe Namath hadn't shaved his famous mustache for the TV ad at that point.

But the most important Rutgers link to that team was Sonny Werblin, RC32, who owned the Jets and was responsible for luring Joe to the Big Apple in the first place with was likely at that point the largest $$$$ contract in sports.

The Jets still played in NY during that magical season, in Shea Stadium on Long Island. So another Rutgers connection to that season was that the Rutgers Marching 100 did the half time of one of the later home games in 1968. IIRC, Joe Namath hadn't shaved his famous mustache for the TV ad at that point.

But the most important Rutgers link to that team was Sonny Werblin, RC32, who owned the Jets and was responsible for luring Joe to the Big Apple in the first place with was likely at that point the largest $$$$ contract in sports.
$438,000 to be exact

I can’t resist. Greg Schiano does two commercials with Jim Gandolfini. Jim acts in “A Stranger Among Us” with Tracy Pollan. Tracy Pollan apparently dated Kevin Bacon at some point.

And there you have it!!!
Damm!
Well done.

Namath's contract was one of the factors that led to the AFL-NFL merger.

So you are saying Greg's affinity for problems at WR goes back a ways, almost like he's married to it?

I was a huge Colts fan.

Terrible day.
Same here - was 7 years old and already a Colts/Orioles nut, as my mom and dad were from Baltimore and moved to NJ in the late 50s. My dad wasn't too far removed from the guy in Diner who made his fiancee pass a Colts knowledge test before agreeing to marry her. During III with the Colts behind, my mom came in to the room during a key play of some sort in the 3Q which went badly for the Colts and my dad blamed her for the bad play and banished her to the upstairs. Probably not a surprise that they were divorced 2 years later, lol.

I was in high school that season and was (and still am) a huge Jets fan, loved Joe Willy. I had season tickets that year, 7 game schedule, no requirement to buy exhibition games, $5/game for a total of $35. How times and pro sports have changed.

Namath was my all time favorite player. I was in third grade for Super Bowl III and bet my teacher 25 cents that the Jets would win outright, no points given to me.
Nut - I bet my younger brother $10 stratight up on the Jets. He was a Jet fan too but I guess he wanted to protect the downside of any emotional loss. He has not paid me to this very day.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Nut - I bet my younger brother $10 stratight up on the Jets. He was a Jet fan too but I guess he wanted to protect the downside of any emotional loss. He has not paid me to this very day.
$10 in 1969, according to an inflation calculator, would be worth $79.74 today.
If I were you, no personal checks accepted.

My Uncle was the assistant equipment manager when they were still the Titans and Sammy Baugh was the coach.

He said Slingin’ Sammy could curse with the best of them.

Reactions: iReC89
ADVERTISEMENT