ADVERTISEMENT

Surfer Guy Ref John Higgins

keepitfair2.jpg

This was his 2nd game at the RAC, but he has reffed Final 4s and a Championship game. He is thought as one of the best officials in the game.
Yep. Glad to see conference bring in top refs from other conferences as Big 10 refs are honestly not very good and interject themselves onto the game. Higgins and crew did solid job tonight. No issue with refs tonjght!

Yep. Glad to see conference bring in top refs from other conferences as Big 10 refs are honestly not very good and interject themselves onto the game. Higgins and crew did solid job tonight. No issue with refs tonjght!
Apparently, Shrewsbury did! He thought Pickett was fouled a few times and not called. On the other hand I thought Pickett was throwing elbows trying to get into the paint and he was not called.

This game did have a 1995-2000 NBA feel to it. A ton of backing in to the paint and a lot of contact. Paul needed to hit the floor on one of those back ins. Tough spot because if he goes down he could be called for floo

Reactions: MiloTalon13
This was his 2nd game at the RAC, but he has reffed Final 4s and a Championship game. He is thought as one of the best officials in the game.
He is. One of the best around. Watching him ref games out west he normally lets players play , unless it is obvious and you have your hands on someone and it is a clear foul that he will call. He is really being moved around the country this year. Definitely because BIG 10 refs suck and ruin and affect outcome of so many games. One of the better refs games this year.

I did notice that the refs crew was consistent in both halves, something that's been a pet peeve of mine. Usually I see reffing crews let teams play in one half then call ticky tack fouls in the second. They were consistently letting them play the whole game. Now maybe I'm seeing that from a Rutgers perspective but I'd like all games to be reffed like this one.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Apparently, Shrewsbury did! He thought Pickett was fouled a few times and not called. On the other hand I thought Pickett was throwing elbows trying to get into the paint and he was not called.
What about all the times Pickett pushed with one or both arms that weren’t called?

Reactions: RU-AGK
The surfer guy that was his second game at the RAC but I don't believe I ever saw the other two refs and yes they did a very good job last night; What are the other 2 referees names?

The surfer guy that was his second game at the RAC but I don't believe I ever saw the other two refs and yes they did a very good job last night; What are the other 2 referees names?
Brooks Wells and Deldre Carr. Also not familiar with them, but yes it was a well officiated game for a change.

This may be way off but I'll throw it out.

I imagine B1G ref's are based in the eastern half of the country. With UCLA and USC joining, could they be bringing in and evaluating ref's based on the west coast? Do you really want to be paying current ref's to fly in and out of LA for a game or two?

This may be way off but I'll throw it out.

I imagine B1G ref's are based in the eastern half of the country. With UCLA and USC joining, could they be bringing in and evaluating ref's based on the west coast? Do you really want to be paying current ref's to fly in and out of LA for a game or two?
Higgins lives and has businesses in Omaha, Nebraska.

Hopefully the Penn State fans were more civil to him after the loss last night than the Kentucky fans were a few years ago after their NCAA tournament loss.. 😳

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-fans-following-loss-north-carolina-tar-heels

The PSU fans on their forum (and coach in his press conference) weren't particularly pleased with the officiating.

Although, from what I saw on their forum, they didn't get particularly whiney about it either.

I think it's interesting to note that the coach said he's done sending clips to the league about the refs. I would've told him it's a waste of time. The league isn't going to start overriding ref's judgement calls on fouls or no-calls after the fact.

Anyone happen to watch Ostapenko play in Australian Open. She complained at least 15 times about line calls. A computer makes the calls.

This game did have a 1995-2000 NBA feel to it. A ton of backing in to the paint and a lot of contact. Paul needed to hit the floor on one of those back ins. Tough spot because if he goes down he could be called for floo
That's the lunacy of the flop rule and how it's implemented.
It's nearly impossible to draw an offensive foul in that situation unless you go down.
If you go down, they might call you for a flop even if the offensive player put his shoulder in your chest
Horrible rule, horribly implemented.

I think it's interesting to note that the coach said he's done sending clips to the league about the refs. I would've told him it's a waste of time. The league isn't going to start overriding ref's judgement calls on fouls or no-calls after the fact.
I think what coaches are going for in that situation is for the league to issue points of emphasis to referees to call fouls on particular sorts of contact.
Instead, the league emphasizes making sure jerseys are tucked in.

It's nearly impossible to draw an offensive foul in that situation unless you go down.
If you go down, they might call you for a flop even if the offensive player put his shoulder in your chest
I dont like the flop rule because its all dependent on the ref's opinion. I watch a lot of college basketball and so many of the flop calls, they show the replay and the guy actually got hit.

Anyone happen to watch Ostapenko play in Australian Open. She complained at least 15 times about line calls. A computer makes the calls.
Are the women tennis players better athletes than then NBA players? Just busting your chops.....LOL

Best of Luck,
Groz

I think what coaches are going for in that situation is for the league to issue points of emphasis to referees to call fouls on particular sorts of contact.
Instead, the league emphasizes making sure jerseys are tucked in.
In this particular case, the coach was complaining to the league about refs not calling more fouls on opposing teams. The league isn't gonna do anything. They want no part of it. Coach was wasting his time (a fact confirmed by his statements in the press conference).

But it really doesn't matter what the coaches are going for. They will still fail. Even when it's an objectively unfair major factor in a win or loss, such as what happened with OSU, the league still did nothing more than pay it lip service.

And that's with something objective that determined the result of the game and that everybody could clearly see in the replay. No judgement necessary. And still the league did nothing meaningful.

And finally, despite fan paranoia, the refs are by far the most likely to be the least biased people at the game. Conversely, all the coaches and players and fans are highly biased. The league isn't going to second-guess a bunch of subjective judgement calls made by the less biased folks in favor of the more biased folks. Just never gonna happen. It would lead to chaos.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
The rule will end up being changed eventually.

They should revise it and the refs should be able to tell the player that this a warning(if it is indeed a flop in their opinion) and next time you will get a technical foul if it is warranted.

The refs have a hard enough job as it is, to then have to decide if flops are really flops. How can they really know? Paul was actually slightly fouled in the corner a few games ago and they called a flop. How are they sure that the slight contact didn't really cause him to go down?

Best of Luck,
Groz

Are the women tennis players better athletes than then NBA players? Just busting your chops.....LOL

Best of Luck,
Groz
In most cases NO. Ostapenko definitely NOT.

NBA players are remarkably athletic and insanely skilled. In my eyes that’s why it is a shame where the game has gone. The players basically solved the 3 point line.

I realize I don’t hold the majority view here so I have frankly given up. The lowest common denominator wants scoring and doesn’t mind watching 80 3 point attempts some hurled from insane distances.

In most cases NO. Ostapenko definitely NOT.

NBA players are remarkably athletic and insanely skilled. In my eyes that’s why it is a shame where the game has gone. The players basically solved the 3 point line.

I realize I don’t hold the majority view here so I have frankly given up. The lowest common denominator wants scoring and doesn’t mind watching 80 3 point attempts some hurled from insane distances.
I never watch the NBA either. But I see the scores on the bottom of the screen. 147-135 and scores like that. And some people have the nerve to say they actually play defense in the NBA

Reactions: Scangg
The rule will end up being changed eventually.

They should revise it and the refs should be able to tell the player that this a warning(if it is indeed a flop in their opinion) and next time you will get a technical foul if it is warranted.

The refs have a hard enough job as it is, to then have to decide if flops are really flops. How can they really know? Paul was actually slightly fouled in the corner a few games ago and they called a flop. How are they sure that the slight contact didn't really cause him to go down?

Best of Luck,
Groz
There was a delay of game warning issued prior to PM's two flops. It came when Mag interfered with the ball being put into play. After the warning, any other delay of game infraction results in a technical foul. Flopping is considered a delay of the game. It is not needed in the game and the rules were created to get rid of it. When Pike spoke a few games ago of working on committing less fouls, I'm pretty sure that would include the delay of game warnings and subsequent tech fouls. Real easy fix . . . don't do those things.

I never watch the NBA either. But I see the scores on the bottom of the screen. 147-135 and scores like that. And some people have the nerve to say they actually play defense in the NBA
Those folks are mathematically challenged and are generally losers for watching the NBA. They probably sleep with night lights and don’t floss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT