ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano enters the Portal

Ugh, not the update we were looking for but not unexpected either. Most of us have been operating under the assumption that he was done at RU for a while now, but this just makes its official. I'm assuming he will be at ASU.

On the flip side, this might set off a chain reaction in terms of scholarship allocations and whatnot so we will hopefully see some offsetting moves in the near future.

Ugh, not the update we were looking for but not unexpected either. Most of us have been operating under the assumption that he was done at RU for a while now, but this just makes its official. I'm assuming he will be at ASU.

On the flip side, this might set off a chain reaction in terms of scholarship allocations and whatnot so we will hopefully see some offsetting moves in the near future.
Where was he going to start if he came back? Seabass beats him at 133.IMO

Not a fan of the portal, but overall it has been a big help to Rutgers. Has become very helpful in football, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball, etc.

Reece Humphrey's ****ed it all up. So glad that douche has no affiliation with RU anymore.

I'm thankful he was our 1st national champ and expected this, but it's pretty ridiculous and disappointing. He would make much more NIL $ here. Humphrey may have messed this up but did Suriano really accomplish his goals at ASU? Sure COVID seemed to be the biggest issue but ASU and Sunkist coaches somehow get a pass on that? I'm not sure he wouldn't have gotten just as good or better at freestyle here and continuig to train with SKWC, NJRTC, Valentine Kalika and NYC RTC, and then adding Penn RTC. Oh well...

Reece Humphrey's ****ed it all up. So glad that douche has no affiliation with RU anymore.

Suriano's old man and Nick himself are to blame...Humphrey is an easy excuse. Penn State did not want Nick to leave, but the PSU staff were so happy they did not have to deal with Bob any longer they hoisted a few iced teas.....same with the RU staff, he thinks he knows everything about the sport because he sired a tremendous wrestler.

Nick literally used the Sinatra song "My Way" to hint at this return on his most recent IG post. That tells you all you need to know lol

Reactions: Leonard23
Suriano's old man and Nick himself are to blame...Humphrey is an easy excuse. Penn State did not want Nick to leave, but the PSU staff were so happy they did not have to deal with Bob any longer they hoisted a few iced teas.....same with the RU staff, he thinks he knows everything about the sport because he sired a tremendous wrestler.
Correct. I coached against him in high school. Some very bizarre behavior particularly in AC. If there are any coaches on here who had kids in the tourney and thus had access to the scale area and the stage (warm up) area you know exactly what I mean. The kid never had a moment to himself.

elvis7,
Do you really believe SeaBass beats Suriano?
I think it is a close match, but i see suriano winning the match 8 or 9 times out of 10

I wish Nicky pushups the best, but once he missed a season, i did not think he would be back.

Humphrey may have messed this up but did Suriano really accomplish his goals at ASU?
Suriano was a legit threat for the Olympic spot...he got a lot better at freestyle under Perry who also had unique insight into Gilman, Lee and Fix. He coached Gilman and was around Lee everyday. Not being able to compete because of Covid is not on ASU or Suriano.

I would be interested know what the deal was with Humphrey as well.

Always sucks to lose a national champ… grateful for everything Suriano has done here..

Dunno the full details of the Humphrey drama but damn would have been nice to have Nicky push-ups for another full season, dammit… wish him nothing but the best🥺

I suppose I'm old-fashioned in expecting loyalty. He took a free ride at Penn State and left for whatever reason. Rutgers welcomed him with open arms (and wallet) and then bent over backward in supporting his Olympic dream. Rutgers held a spot for him but he or his dad didn't have the courtesy to say if he would return. I think that is pretty arrogant and inconsiderate of his Rutgers teammates.

I suppose I'm old-fashioned in expecting loyalty. He took a free ride at Penn State and left for whatever reason. Rutgers welcomed him with open arms (and wallet) and then bent over backward in supporting his Olympic dream. Rutgers held a spot for him but he or his dad didn't have the courtesy to say if he would return. I think that is pretty arrogant and inconsiderate of his Rutgers teammates.
And in a nutshell you just described Bob Suriano.

I have a mutual acquaintance that works with Bob suriano and he's very much the a$$hole that everybody says he is. I'm betting it's either Arizona State or Ohio State. On a side note, this is this kids third College ... come on man, show a little bit of loyalty to somebody. Goody had no control over what Reese Humphries did, it was just an excuse for Bob Soriano to open up his big ass mouth.

elvis7,
Do you really believe SeaBass beats Suriano?
I think it is a close match, but i see suriano winning the match 8 or 9 times out of 10

I wish Nicky pushups the best, but once he missed a season, i did not think he would be back.
Sebastian beat Spencer Lee twice. I think his mind is stronger than Nick's.IMO

I'll admit, following Nick's career got me back into wrestling. It also got me back into RU wrestling. This one is tough to swallow as a fan.

The only good that comes out of this is that Rutgers can finally move on. Now the staff can re-allot that scholarship money. And the Suriano questions aren't lingering anymore. It must of been somewhat toxic after all this time. Now the team and fan base can breathe.

Wish we could of had him in our room, but he's clearly about himself which is a shame. I know it's an individual sport but life is too short to dismiss the team aspect of this sport. If he doesn't have an mma career then he'll be killing bugs just like his father. The social skills are definitely lacking with this one. 3 different schools does say a lot in my opinion.

That said I'll still root for the kid. Just not against Rutgers. I hope he goes 125. Would love to see him beat Robbie Howard, Pat Glory, Aruja and Spencer Lee.

I know I mentioned that suriano may choose Arizona State or Ohio State , but I could not see goody releasing him to Ohio State. That would be insanity. All eyes are set on Arizona state if I was a betting man. He has a relationship with Perry, and there's a pipeline for MMA. I hope 15 years down the road Nick suriano has gained some sort of and sense of loyalty, because this kid has just really turned me off. I used to be a big fan with some hesitations, now I'm hoping he gets decked.

I know I mentioned that suriano may choose Arizona State or Ohio State , but I could not see goody releasing him to Ohio State. That would be insanity. All eyes are set on Arizona state if I was a betting man. He has a relationship with Perry, and there's a pipeline for MMA. I hope 15 years down the road Nick suriano has gained some sort of and sense of loyalty, because this kid has just really turned me off. I used to be a big fan with some hesitations, now I'm hoping he gets decked.
You don't have to get a release any more. It's his 1st time under the new rules they're not retroactive so the psu transfer doesn't count.. This time with the new rules implemented he gets a free shot to go where ever he wants.

You don't have to get a release any more. It's his 1st time under the new rules they're not retroactive so the psu transfer doesn't count.. This time with the new rules implemented he gets a free shot to go where ever he wants.
I'm not sure that's accurate and would like clarification on that, as he already took advantage of the one-time transfer exception that wrestling had before the new rule change expanded it to other sports and removed the requirement to obtain a release from the prior school. I'm curious how he doesn't have to sit out a year for a 2nd transfer, even as a grad student.

Nick will always have a place in RU history as our first NCAA champ and that memory will forever be ingrained in my mind. Sadly I think they blew it by putting all their eggs in the Olympic Trials scenario. He could have wrestled in the Big Tens at 125 or 133 for us and then the NCAAs and hopefully win it. When they cut off communication with RU it became a lack of interest on both sides so divorce was inevitable.

Reactions: Leonard23
While I was leaning towards and hoping for a return of Suriano, the chances seem super slim now. But you know what? Screw him and the dad. I guess the "back to be home and proud to represent Rutgers/New Jersey" was just a bunch of BS. I suppose loyalty goes out the window for some when you dont get your way 100% of the time. It's a sad and immature way to live your life and/or make your kid live his life. Good luck in your endeavors Nick. Maybe the big FU goes to your dad in this situation. If it does, shove it Bob...really hard.

I always felt Suriano was all about himself and a distraction - he didn’t come across as a Rutgers guy and his interviews rubbed me the wrong way . I was disappointed that it was him, rather than Ashnault, who won our first championship.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Suriano will always have a place in my heart. Him and Ashnault winning the national gold that year really put RU in a different place in the wrestling world. He's gone now, but he wasn't supposed to be at RU this long considering the year he started college wrestling. Best wishes to him!

Lots of social media chatter regarding tOSU.

That would be a real kick in the di*k if true. I could stomach ASU, but having him back in the B1G especially if you consider that Reece Humphrey was one of the main reasons for him leaving RU\NJRTC to train out west. So in a twisted, round about way he somehow caused Nick to end up at his alma mater.

It’s good for both sides. Suriano gets to do what he wants, Rutgers finally gets some closure and can move on and allocate a lot of scholarship money. I personally hold no grudge against him. The two years he wrestled here were awesome.

I would like to see Suriano go 125 and win a National title wherever he ends up. I think we have a legit chance to contend for a National title at both 133 and 141 and I think Suriano would beat either of our guys at that weight class. Only thing he has left to put on his resume is to beat Spencer Lee.

Pretty dick move if he stays in conference.. but sounds like the old man drives the bus and he’s a dick so not terribly surprising then.

ADVERTISEMENT