ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise Stat of the Year? Spencer Leads the Nation in Steals.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
20 steals in 5 games. I expected good shooting (including FTs) and good court sense and effort from Cam, but I had no idea how good his anticipation is on defense. He's obviously not the quickest guy and struggles staying in front of quick guards, but he's a very complementary defensive player, who has very quick hands and anticipates passing lanes and ball movement very well, allowing him to get a lot more steals than one would predict. It's fun to watch. When we have everyone back, I wonder if we'll play more zone, given our fantastic length and excellent connectedness as a team (and this might also help us at times with Cam and Paul on the floor together).

Apparently.. Pike's defensive system is something Spencer has mastered rather quickly. Now, Temple shot over it and the point differential just got us into a funk... but it has looked damn good in every other game... and so has Spencer.

Heard a stat during the broadcast that said after a hot 3-pt shooting start for teh whole team.. we had cooled down and all 4 additional makes since then were by Spencer alone. Everyone else went cold.

@BillyC80 I see what you did there.

Not a surprise at all I believe he had more steals than McConnell last season.

Only a mild surprise in light of the fact that he let his league in steals last year.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He comes off his guy to sneak in all the time and hasn't get burned so far that I've seen.
Issue will be the tape that is accumulating where he can't stay in front of quicker guys. We will see spacing and picks where he ends up on island, they will hunt his side.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We need to get after it on D so pressuring and trapping is needed. Don’t see us three balling much this year and scoring lots of points so D and rebounding is key. Wolf is getting min because we need to be a better rebounding team this year.

316693955_5487466458047103_8284718254209599525_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT