ADVERTISEMENT

Sweet 16 Discussion Thread

SkilletHead2

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2005
New Zealand
Here. Hey, I'm noticing that all the Nevada players are putting a hand in the face of the man with the ball. Is that a new defensive move? Haven't seen that before. I guess it would disrupt seeing the court well.

Horrible crowd at Texas AM- Michigan game. Lots of empty seats. Did AM beings any fans? It's empty behind their bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletDave
Loyola what a run the last 8 minutes...20-4 after being down 12. I like this team..would be a great story vs Kentucky

I think Michigan will coast, they got the kinks out in those close games, I have them in the finals losing to Nova

10 of 16 from 3 point range is insane. They scored more points in the 1st half than we did in some games.

In one hour, I went from thinking Nevada looked unstoppable to wondering how they won two games in the tournament....lol

I don’t think Michigan can sustain that shooting percentage but a 24 point halftime lead provides a lot of cushion. I think this other game goes down to the wire.

Loyola Chicago-kentucky matchup on the horizon, although I would rather it be Kansas state.

Marques Townes...a 2016 transfer from
Fairleigh Dickinson wins it for Loyola with a big 3 point shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUJMM78
The Martin twins are great....but how bout Marques Townes for Loyola....junior who transferred in from FDU.!?

Townes did not play for Immaculata. That was Wade Baldwin your are thinking of.

I believe he played for Cardinal McCarrick before transferring to St. Joe’s.

Reactions: Local Shill
I am very happy that Loyola won and that Townes iced the game with a three. Townes was very good at St. Joe's (Metuchen). He is from Edison as is Battle of Syracuse. I am an Edison guy having taught and coached at Edison H.S. for 36 years.

Reactions: bac2therac
Well Michigan just took apart Texas A & M 99-72. This is good to seeing Michigan moving on. The BIG is looking good.

I am very happy that Loyola won and that Townes iced the game with a three. Townes was very good at St. Joe's (Metuchen). He is from Edison as is Battle of Syracuse. I am an Edison guy having taught and coached at Edison H.S. for 36 years.
Was he ever a consideration for Pike? My guess this happened before Pike had a chance to get involved. Would have been that nice 4th guard we needed.

Was he ever a consideration for Pike? My guess this happened before Pike had a chance to get involved. Would have been that nice 4th guard we needed.

Considering that he went to FDU I am guessing he was not anywhere near a P5 level recruit out of HS. FDU is low major.

I heard on the radio that Kentucky is tops in the country at three point defense. Lots of open looks for Kansas State so far that aren't going in.

Considering that he went to FDU I am guessing he was not anywhere near a P5 level recruit out of HS. FDU is low major.
Meant as transfer from fdu going into pikes first year.

His hs numbers were solid for the #12 team in usa and his stats at fdu two years were solid.

17pts 5 bounds 3 asst 2 steals as senior. 1850 career pts second only to some kid named jay williams.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
Meant as transfer from fdu going into pikes first year.

His hs numbers were solid for the #12 team in usa and his stats at fdu two years were solid.

17pts 5 bounds 3 asst 2 steals as senior. 1850 career pts second only to some kid named jay williams.
Oh and he helped fdu get into the tourney his soph. Year before the transfer. Wow.

I heard on the radio that Kentucky is tops in the country at three point defense. Lots of open looks for Kansas State so far that aren't going in.

Kentucky has 7 guys with a 7 foot or longer wing span.. That's probably the reason.

Rutgers has ? One coming in next year. I've always said that Rutgers has historically lacked guys with length and long arms. Always an issue.

Last edited:
Kentucky has 7 guys with a 7 foot or longer wing span.. That's probably the reason.

Rutgers has ? One coming in next year. I've always said that Rutgers has historically lacked guys with length and long arms. Always an issue.

Yup and What’s Also interesting is that Rutgers isn’t recruiting Thiam’s brother but Elite 8 bound Kansas State has been recruiting his brother.

Reactions: Rokodesh
KSU looks like a good team. Long limbed athletes who can shoot the balk off the dribble/contested. Of can get anywhere he wants. Fun stuff!

Yup and What’s Also interesting is that Rutgers isn’t recruiting Thiam’s brother but Elite 8 bound Kansas State has been recruiting his brother.

Thiam's brother has a stockier build (though at 6-9 205 he's still slight) and plays a different game. He still takes a healthy number of three-pointers (only shot 34% though) but he did a lot more work inside, grabbing nearly 10 rebounds per game.

It is a little bit weird we're not in on him. Perhaps if we strike out with some other options we'd take a look.

Reactions: BoxStater
I may have to take back some of things I said about Hamilton and FSU at ACC Tourney time.

Go Noles! and they were not very good this year

both KSU and FSU were just sort pedestrian teams this year in their leagues. Didnt really get the big wins there and two teams you could easily see losing in first round but matchups and momentum count and all of sudden they both have shots at the final 4....ditto for Michigan, its all about playing your best at the right time.

51 Fouls called in UK-KState game made it virtually unwatchable

Nobody will beat Michigan if they hit 14 3's in a game

both KSU and FSU were just sort pedestrian teams this year in their leagues. Didnt really get the big wins there and two teams you could easily see losing in first round but matchups and momentum count and all of sudden they both have shots at the final 4....ditto for Michigan, its all about playing your best at the right time.
which is why (and I know I've said this like 5 times already) the Tourney folks need to put that "last 10" consideration back in play. Your examples above are PRIME .

edit: for the men's as the women apparently already still use it ...;)

Didn’t FSU have one of better players injured? Thought PSU deserved a chance if FSU and KSU and TCU...
All three initials? Hmmmmm.

Any B1G fan saw Michigan improving. PSU too.

I would still require .500 in league.
Expand to 128 to get all deserving Mid Majors get in.
Use Conference Tourney for Seeding. Conference winner must be highest seed and then descending.
Add 32 NIT teams already up to 96. Off top of my head Colgate, South Dakota, Harvard, etc. Can easily find deserving teams...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT