ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Grad Transfer Center visiting Rutgers

The more bodies the better. Especially when ur front line is very thin

That is my thought as well but at least his scholarship would come off the books for 2017 and he would give us an extra center in case of an injury and add depth to the front line.

Reactions: socaldave
This is a GREAT addition. Graduates from Syracuse after only 3 years so he won't be an academic risk. A big body which is huge especially if Thiam doesn't end up here. And it allows our staff to still concentrate on the 2017 class and with this staff you want as many open ships as you can I have a feeling the 2017 class is going to be ridiculous for us. We can live with Shaq, Diallo, Sa and Freeman down low. He just needed a guy who can give us minutes here and there and to have something in case of injury.

The only negative I see is that it seems that he is an awful free throw shooter.

He only played 67 minutes and scored 12 points all season.

and 11 points came in one game -

From this article he appears to be a focused & organized high character guy - - the kind of guy who might make a good first year contribution to a team that is transforming into a 'high intensity team -highly disciplined team- finely tuned basketball machine - that gives 120% all the time'
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...is_transferring_from_syracuse_basketball.html

If Pikiell & Co see him being able to make significant tangible & intangible contributions toward building the team that they want - then go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I have no problem with this player for one year.I also want a shooting guard that is at least 6'4'' because of the size of B1G guards that Rutgers will face.

Reactions: Scangg
Reading the article on him, they are going to appeal for another year of eligibility for him.

As someone referenced above, there is a very good chance he will be a rare two year player as a graduate transfer.

Would take either way

I follow both Rutgers and Syracuse basketball closely - attended games at both the RAC and Dome this season. Obokoh is a very high-character admirable guy, but he can not contribute in any meaningful way to a Big 10 or ACC team. However, he is very tall with long arms, and if Rutgers is only interested in someone who can provide minutes at center at time, and block a few shots, he could do that. He probably would not play any time at Syracuse next year, because Chukwu (transfer from Providence) will become eligible and Obokoh would be 4th option at center.

This a solid recruit considering he's been well coached and will be a "veteran" presence on the team. Also, he was involved with a Final Four caliber team. I think this will be a fine addition, plus he can provide 5 more fouls...

This a solid recruit considering he's been well coached and will be a "veteran" presence on the team. Also, he was involved with a Final Four caliber team. I think this will be a fine addition, plus he can provide 5 more fouls...

Did you read Elmiras post above? Unless he makes a huge leap in his game, he's not really a solid pick up. Just a tall body giving 5 fouls.

Leave the silly Sheridan stuff to the dedicated " Sheridan " thread . Normally, I would not have a problem,but, it's not even funny. REALLY NOT FUNNY. It's the ANTI-Funny.

Last edited:
lol at the posters saying anything other than "please God we just need bodies." you people realize we may go into this year with less than a full roster right? anyone 6'9 or above is an instant yes. many syracuse or uconn or pitt leftovers...would probably be close to starting for us.

Out of HS he had offers from Cuse, Nova, Temple, West Va, Texas, Miami, and others

At 6 9 he can help out defensively for at least 10 mins a game. At Cuse he may have been the 5th option offensively for his mins on the court which is why he scored so little. If he can get 2 offensive rebound put backs a game that is 4 points a game right there.

As a rebuilding team we may have only 1 or 2 players that can breal the top 7 rotation at a school like Cuse, Nova, or Mich St. The out of rotation 8th, 9th, and 10th guys at those schools are top 7 rotation guys at Rutgers right now.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/139997

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
I follow both Rutgers and Syracuse basketball closely - attended games at both the RAC and Dome this season. Obokoh is a very high-character admirable guy, but he can not contribute in any meaningful way to a Big 10 or ACC team. However, he is very tall with long arms, and if Rutgers is only interested in someone who can provide minutes at center at time, and block a few shots, he could do that. He probably would not play any time at Syracuse next year, because Chukwu (transfer from Providence) will become eligible and Obokoh would be 4th option at center.
Under our current roster makeup that means he can compete for a starting shot here. We have a long way to go, but Pikiell and company know that are are busting their tails to get a decent team together by 2018.

Syracuse has limited scholarships because of sanctions and that is why Boeheim went with only 6-7 players this past year. With limited schollies Boeheim can't waste them. He doesn't want dead weight on his roster.

Rutgers needs bodies not to be good but to just make sure they have a competent roster. Don't kid yourself, RU is not going to be good next year and thinking signing these late kids will change that is delusional.

Out of HS he had offers from Cuse, Nova, Temple, West Va, Texas, Miami, and others

At 6 9 he can help out defensively for at least 10 mins a game. At Cuse he may have been the 5th option offensively for his mins on the court which is why he scored so little. If he can get 2 offensive rebound put backs a game that is 4 points a game right there.

As a rebuilding team we may have only 1 or 2 players that can breal the top 7 rotation at a school like Cuse, Nova, or Mich St. The out of rotation 8th, 9th, and 10th guys at those schools are top 7 rotation guys at Rutgers right now.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/139997

Last edited:
Are you Sheridan's cousin?

If you go off topic and funny in a serious basketball conversation thread......Can you at least try to post something funny? That's all we want. It's the ANTI-Funny.

Last edited:
Syracuse has limited scholarships because of sanctions and they Boeheim went with only 6-7 players this past year. With limited schollies Boeheim can't waste them. He doesn't want dead weight on his roster.

Rutgers needs bodies not to be good but to just make sure they have a competent roster. Don't kid yourself, RU is not going to be good next year and thinking signing these late kids will change that is delusional.

I don't follow Syracuse, but, I thought Boeheim always played about 7-8 guys, even with a full roster.

If you go off topic and funny in a serious basketball conversation thread......Can you at least try to post something funny? That's all we want. It's the ANTI-Funny.

I thought this board was supposed to be for entertainment. Didn't realize it was supposed to be so serious.

When people were demanding that Eddie Jordan get fired, you interrupted all of our serious posts with your jokes about keeping him. Or were you serious?

I thought this board was supposed to be for entertainment. Didn't realize it was supposed to be so serious.

When people were demanding that Eddie Jordan get fired, you interrupted all of our serious posts with your jokes about keeping him. Or were you serious?

Just try to be funny if that's your thing. http://jokes.cc.com/

And Rutgers has been short-handed for practices, not just games.

Absolutely, depth is as much about practice as it is about having players for the games. A big man needs to practice against other big men to improve. This give Shaq, Diallo and Sa another guy to go against in practice

Exactly.
Ohio was such an apologist for Jordan when everyone knew he was a horrible fit.

Now he has turned into Mr. Serious, AKA, "Get off my lawn!"

I don't follow Syracuse, but, I thought Boeheim always played about 7-8 guys, even with a full roster.

With very few exceptions, that has always been true. He's had a couple of teams when he went deeper on the bench, but that was mostly been the exception.

He only played 67 minutes and scored 12 points all season.

I'm curious what part of lighting up Montana St for 11 Pts and racking up 4 fouls in 12 minutes makes people think this guy can contribute much of anything worth $25-$50k in scholarship $$, even in practice?

This is not Brent Dabbs, here. Not even Andre Lamoreaux (can't believe I have to type this in 2016).

Pass.

I'm curious what part of lighting up Montana St for 11 Pts and racking up 4 fouls in 12 minutes makes people think this guy can contribute much of anything worth $25-$50k in scholarship $$, even in practice?

This is not Brent Dabbs, here. Not even Andre Lamoreaux (can't believe I have to type this in 2016).

Pass.

I love it when guys say "pass".....even while Pikiell is bringing him in for a visit. Looks like we hired the wrong coach. We should have hired someone from this board.

Reactions: Local Shill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT