ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to a PSU Starter About RU

ImBadRU

All American
Apr 3, 2002
I talked to a starter on PSU's defense. His take on RU. The defense is very good. They are talented, play very hard, and STRESSED that they play together and fight for each other. Said the constant three and outs kill the defensive players, particularly linemen. As to the offense. First thing he said, is that they do not play for each other. Everyone wants theirs. Thinks Gavin has talent, but needs more nurturing and development. Finally said, the WRs are very easy to cover, slow, and not quick. They were basically on the side line laughing about the offensive ineptitude.

I talked to a starter on PSU's defense. His take on RU. The defense is very good. They are talented, play very hard, and STRESSED that they play together and fight for each other. Said the constant three and outs kill the defensive players, particularly linemen. As to the offense. First thing he said, is that they do not play for each other. Everyone wants theirs. Thinks Gavin has talent, but needs more nurturing and development. Finally said, the WRs are very easy to cover, slow, and not quick. They were basically on the side line laughing about the offensive ineptitude.
Creep State troll?

Who cares what a Creep State scumbag thinks!

Thanks for the info. Makes sense from what I've viewed.

Fits the Schiano template - a Boys Town version of Rex Ryan with the spicey defense and the franks-n-beans offense.

Brian Billick says the hardest thing to do physically (in a game) is to rush the passer.
The famous Warren Sapp Tampa Bay defense was known to be flat after the first 27 plays.
Not surprised player said the 3 and outs hurt DL the most.

I had no idea about the offense not playing for each other, but the defense is locked in as a group. That was an insight/opinion that was completely new to me. Yes OC is walking into something challenging.

Re: the offense not playing for each other:

1. I think skill position players are generally selfish, and at PSU too. There's only one ball and the only way to shine and be noticed in those positions is to be featured.

2. Overall ineptitude. including from the 3 QBs exacerbates #1, and PSU doesn't suffer from this.

So yes, the players are bad and the offense is bad. Not exactly a surprising opinion. It's easy to see.

So we're are taking the word of an 18/19 year old about the talents of Rutgers Football which he saw 3 hours live?

What exactly does it mean that the Offensive players do not play for each other?

How is it different from other teams offenses?

Isnt the OP on the faculty at PSU? Was the PSU player possibly pulling his leg?

This is mostly a nothing burger imo.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Hope the Rutgers coaches have figured that out.

Not a troll. Posting for years. If you are not interested in hearing what a starter on a top 10 team has to say about our team, then you are an ostrich. I thought his insights were very interesting.
Shocked no mention of our OL.
Not as bad as I thought.

So we're are taking the word of an 18/19 year old about the talents of Rutgers Football which he saw 3 hours live?
An 18/19 year old who plays D1 football, against the team being analyzed? An 18/19 year old who watches film, basically as a job? An 18/19 who has been on the field with our players and interacted with them?
Yea, I'll take his word over some dude who sits in the stands and posts on a message board.

An 18/19 year old who plays D1 football, against the team being analyzed? An 18/19 year old who watches film, basically as a job? An 18/19 who has been on the field with our players and interacted with them?
Yea, I'll take his word over some dude who sits in the stands and posts on a message board.
How would he know they don't play for each other from watching film???

right mike, especially when it's the same view the rest of us have. i do find it interesting though that hundreds of us internet posters are 100% sure "Joe Knew" without actually being there or having any more intel than my grandfather who died in 1961 did. But I digress.

The kid said PSU players chuckled about RU's lack of talent on offense, and some don't believe what he says he was a part of ?

right mike, especially when it's the same view the rest of us have. i do find it interesting though when we discredit him without knowing a different truth yet hundreds of us internet posters are 100% sure "Joe Knew" without actually being there or having any more intel than my grandfather who died in 1961 did. But I digress.

The kid said PSU players chuckled about RU's lack of talent on offense, and some don't believe what he says he was a part of ?

What exactly does it mean that the Offensive players do not play for each other?

How is it different from other teams offenses?

Isnt the OP on the faculty at PSU? Was the PSU player possibly pulling his leg?

This is mostly a nothing burger imo.

It's only a nothing burger when we lose.

See the thread on the basketball board where everyone is upset that an Indiana podcaster tried to justify their loss to us.

Then it's very important what opposing teams players/fans think about us and people have to seek out every possible feedback.

That seems like a very simplistic analysis from that Penn State starter: the defense is good, therefore, they "play for each other." The offense is not as good, so they "don't play for each other."

Coach Schiano may have faults, but I think creating a culture in which players "don't play for each other" is not something he has done.

They just need better offensive players and a willingness to actually try to move the ball without worrying so much (in my opinion; although I am even less-qualified to comment than the Penn State starter)...

Same offense that had Maryland going for it on 4th down 4 times because they knew we couldn't get a first down if we could help it. No respect at all and yes laughable.

I would also add that this kid probably knows at least a few players on the RU team, so he may get insight that way. I personally don't interact with any of our players, so I'd assume he has more knowledge of the inner workings than I do.

Same offense that had Maryland going for it on 4th down 4 times because they knew we couldn't get a first down if we could help it. No respect at all and yes laughable.

This is the part people miss.

When you are confident in your defense stopping the other team (because of your own defensive skill or other teams offensive ineptitude) you actually play MORE aggressive on offense.

You don't just punt and "let the defense handle it".
You take the chance on offense and if it doesn't work then trust the defense to hold the fort.

right mike, especially when it's the same view the rest of us have. i do find it interesting though that hundreds of us internet posters are 100% sure "Joe Knew" without actually being there or having any more intel than my grandfather who died in 1961 did. But I digress.

It’s quite the take to argue, given what we know about the shower incident and it’s aftermath, that whether “Joe Knew” is in question.

Heard the same exact thing from OSU secondary coach.
Our receivers posed no threat to them and covering them presented no issues

Creep State troll?

Who cares what a Creep State scumbag thinks!

VO2DJHN.gif

Would be interested in the player’s insights on NIL baseline ($) and NIL opportunities for both teams.

It’s quite the take to argue, given what we know about the shower incident and it’s aftermath, that whether “Joe Knew” is in question.
you mean, what you THINK you know about the incident. i bring that up because in this thread, detached internet posters THINK they know more about what the PSU starter said was discussed on the sideline and game planning than he himself did know, actually being there.

We keep saying the OC sucks.
Our peers are quite upfront about the fact our receivers pose no problems or issues for their defense.
Replacing the OC does not remedy the issue
I thought Cruickshank and Youngblood had elite speed?

We missed Bo this year more then many think.

They are really fast. But does fast mean that you can get separation? Most routes rely more on quickness in and out of breaks. I'm reminded of Jason Witten at the end of his career. That guy was running about a 8.5 in the 40 and he still got separation every time down the field. It was maddening.

They had speed but lacked ball skills. Ryan had the best ball skills of the bunch and Jones made some nice plays. We haven’t replaced Leonte Carroo, which is the caliber of receiver we need to be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT