ADVERTISEMENT

Targum Will Publish Four Times a Week During 2019-20 School Year

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - The Daily Targum, the student-run newspaper that has been covering Rutgers for 150 years, will continue publishing during the 2019-20 school year.

However, Sandy Giacobbe, the paper's business manager, said on Friday that the newspaper will publish on a Monday-through-Thursday schedule instead of five days a week.

More Here:

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...-four-times-a-week-during-2019-20-school-year

Yes The paper has a long history and several accomplished alumni. They needed to keep it going.

Scarlet Jerry

The Daily Californian, the student newspaper at Berkeley (on which I worked while in college) publishes four times a week. The difference is their schedule is every day but Wednesday. I would think that having a Friday issue would attract a lot of advertising for weekend entertainment, but perhaps it's different at Rutgers, where I suspect many students aren't around on Fridays because they've already taken off for the weekend.

The Daily Cal is my true alma mater; I spent more time there than in class, and I learned an awful lot about the world and about writing.

Camden, if you are referring to the days when Rutgers was a weekend suitcase college, I think those days are over. There is so much for the kids to do on campus—the movie theaters, several pools, the Werblin Center and other rec centers,all the Rutgers sports, over 500 events at The Mason Gross School of the Arts, plus the State Theater and the two new Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center which is opening on September 5. With the new RWJ Barnabas Center Opening this week, this will open up availability at The RAC and I have been told there will be more concerts and other events. And of course, there are a zillion places to eat on and off campus.Not saying some kids don’t go home, but that happens everywhere to some extent.

Camden, if you are referring to the days when Rutgers was a weekend suitcase college, I think those days are over. There is so much for the kids to do on campus—the movie theaters, several pools, the Werblin Center and other rec centers,all the Rutgers sports, over 500 events at The Mason Gross School of the Arts, plus the State Theater and the two new Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center which is opening on September 5. With the new RWJ Barnabas Center Opening this week, this will open up availability at The RAC and I have been told there will be more concerts and other events. And of course, there are a zillion places to eat on and off campus.Not saying some kids don’t go home, but that happens everywhere to some extent.

Then I wonder why the paper is not publishing Fridays. One would think that Wednesdays would be a deader time for ads, and you would think that the Targum would be trying to publish as many ads as possible to make money.

Then I wonder why the paper is not publishing Fridays. One would think that Wednesdays would be a deader time for ads, and you would think that the Targum would be trying to publish as many ads as possible to make money.
Just guessing but it naturally follows students' habit of not having many classes on Friday generally. If I remember correctly, most weekend info is printed the Thursday edition (used to be a section called inside beat or somesuch) anyway. And I can almost guarantee that the majority learn about bands, parties, e
thru soc-med. anyway

Reactions: retired711
Just guessing but it naturally follows students' habit of not having many classes on Friday generally. If I remember correctly, most weekend info is printed the Thursday edition (used to be a section called inside beat or somesuch) anyway. And I can almost guarantee that the majority learn about bands, parties, e
thru soc-med. anyway

That's probably right. At least at the law school, there have been fewer and fewer Friday classes as time has gone on, and that's probably now true of of undergraduate classes as well. And you make a good point about social media.

When I was there, columnists and letter writers hated to be on Fridays because so few people read the paper, and we were long past being a suitcase school by then. But when so many students live a short drive from home, it happens.

If RU had all the things they have now on campus plus played in the B1G for sports, I never would've went home for a weekend during the school year.

thru soc-med. anyway
Well that just brought back some memories. All good too. :)

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT