ADVERTISEMENT

Tavon Jones had 41 tonight in a 2 OT loss to The Patrick School 84-82'

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
This was an amazing game tonight. Jones was by far the best player on the court tonight. Vlad Manuel played very well for the Patrick School but they had 3 6'10" or taller players. He and one of the others was on the court for almost the entire game. I think Manuel probably had over 30 points. I think Manuel could really help us as he can score and blocks shots. He also can make foul shots. Jones shot 3-4 on threes and 12-15 on foul shots. He was unbelievable tonight and now has a 26.2 ppg average with 262 points in 10 games. The thing that amazes me about him is he is only 6'2" or perhaps 6'3" but he can score in so many ways and his defense is outstanding too and he is so quick up & down the floor. I don't think we have a spot for him but if Corey didn't come back I think he could step right in for him.

I am still waiting for the box score to see how many Vlad scored. I also see that Coach Pikiell was there as well. His picture is up on NJ.com talking with Phil Colicchio, the Linden coach after the game. I'm glad he saw this game in person.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
This was an amazing game tonight. Jones was by far the best player on the court tonight. Vlad Manuel played very well for the Patrick School but they had 3 6'10" or taller players. He and one of the others was on the court for almost the entire game. I think Manuel probably had over 30 points. I think Manuel could really help us as he can score and blocks shots. He also can make foul shots. Jones shot 3-4 on threes and 12-15 on foul shots. He was unbelievable tonight and now has a 26.2 ppg average with 262 points in 10 games. The thing that amazes me about him is he is only 6'2" or perhaps 6'3" but he can score in so many ways and his defense is outstanding too and he is so quick up & down the floor. I don't think we have a spot for him but if Corey didn't come back I think he could step right in for him.
Then we find a spot for him. It's not like we are over loaded with players that can shoot,lol.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I mentioned Tavon Jones on here before and how RU should go after him but many said he would not be a good fit here..I’m not sure why a 2 way player from one of NJ’s top basketball schools wouldn’t be a priority for Rutgers. I’ve seen the kid play in person and he’s the real deal..coachable defensive minded player who’s more of a slasher than a shooter but he’s a legit mid-high level college prospect

Wondered about Jones for a while, thought talk was he was not a good shooter.

I am still waiting for the box score to see how many Vlad scored. I also see that Coach Pikiell was there as well. His picture is up on NJ.com talking with Phil Colicchio, the Linden coach after the game. I'm glad he saw this game in person.

Being an old Linden grad I would love Rutgers to bring in Jones. Maybe this games makes Pikiell take a long look at a local guy just 30 minutes from campus.

The question is whether his skills project as a contributor at the P-5 conference level? The issue would appear to be his size for the type of offensive game he has. I assume he would need to be a SG versus a PG. We can't afford another miss. Is Jones thought to have a higher ceiling than Wade(?) who I think went to Houston and accounted for himself very well after we passed? Was there another Linden kid who went to school in the northern Va area and did well or am I getting totally confused on this? I will say this Collichio runs a hell of program. Does he get kids from outside Linden?

The question is whether his skills project as a contributor at the P-5 conference level? The issue would appear to be his size for the type of offensive game he has. I assume he would need to be a SG versus a PG. We can't afford another miss. Is Jones thought to have a higher ceiling than Wade(?) who I think went to Houston and accounted for himself very well after we passed? Was there another Linden kid who went to school in the northern Va area and did well or am I getting totally confused on this? I will say this Collichio runs a hell of program. Does he get kids from outside Linden?

Otis Livingston, son of the NBC 4 sports guy. He’s doing well in the A10, he could have helped us too. Carino just posted an article about him.

Otis Livingston from APP

The Wade family is from Linden. I think you may be referring to Wilson who went to school in Va...also from Linden. I believe Jones is also a Linden kid.

As a public school I don't think he gets players from outside the city but I could be wrong. I thought only Catholic or prep schools recruit players like that.

Being a linden grad and knowing Jones since he was a kid. I would love to have him at RU but he’s more of a 2 than a 1. The biggest question mark on him is can he transition to a point at the next level at say a P5 school or does he go A10 level or smaller where being that scoring guard bodes better.

Jones is from Linden. He was second team All State in the Ledger as a soph and first team last year as a junior. Linden has no one over 6'3" tall. Last night again was like the midgets vs. two Goliaths who were on the court the entire game. Trust me when I say Tavon can score, play defense, pass the ball & rebound. He could play PG as well as he is so quick, can pass and can dribble. He also can shoot from outside. He may not hit 40% on his threes but he is pretty good. Last night he was 3-4 on threes. As a soph he made 5 of them in a game vs. Roselle Catholic on the road. He is more of a slasher and has moves similar to Corey where he drives and pulls up for a 12 footer. I've been told by people from Linden that he would love to go to RU. Otis Livingston wanted to come badly as well but Eddie blew it. Eddie told me later it was the biggest recruiting mistake that he ever made. I know St. Bonaventure wants Tavon very badly but somehow I think he can help us. I believe even if he only got 12 minutes a game or such as a frosh he would be a contributor. As a freshman at Linden he was only getting minor minutes until he started about his last 5 games that year. Phil Colicchio is an unbelievable coach. He gets 100 % out of his team every season. Coach Pikiell loves the guy. Tavon is also a good foul shooter at over 75 %. For his last 4 games he is 30-37 for 81%. I would take that every day of the week. Vlad Manuel spoke so highly of Tavon after last night's game. (on Ledger site). When LHS played Gill St. Bernard two days before the season opener the game ended 58-58 and Tavon held Paul Mulcahy to 12 points. The two seemed to be very good friends from what I could see at the game. I would love to see Vlad, Tavon and Paul all on on RU. They are all outstanding NJ players.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruJerz
I have only seen Tavon Jones play twice and both times he was A+ ... I have not followed New Jersey High School B.B. like in the past... All I see is a young man who is fearless even against the supposed BEST players in the private and parochial schools...I guess we don’t know the entire reason why the offers are not there?...Is it academics?... Collichio is a very excellent coach and has produced more than a few D-1 players over the years... Is it the fact that Bullock was a stretch even for Rutgers?... or is it he is a scorer and not a pure shooter?... there in lies the question... tough call but I just wish we were at the point to take a chance on a local kid.

In reality he is not a Waliy Dixon who was the type of player we could surely use now in the B1G

Hi Art--you were always very high on Matt Bullock but he's done nothing since he's been at Rutgers. Last night was the first time I've seen him play even though it was only a few minutes. He looked very out of shape but seemed to have a nice mid-range jumper. However his defense looked suspect. Is Bullock the same player you saw in high school and if not what , what's holding him back? I realize his size is a problem but nevertheless he looked about 25 pounds overweight.

Jon, Bullock to me looks very much like he did when at Roselle Catholic. He made first team All State in his senior year and was the best player on RC at that time. He was able to rebound and shoot well in high school. Perhaps he might be a little heavier but he dominated games in high school. I don't know exactly why he hasn't gotten into previous games. I know he can shoot and rebound and he is pretty strong. I think he could contribute a little bit in games going forward by playing a few minutes at a time. He looked pretty good to me last night.

If the Tigers were in the habit of bringing in kids from outside of. Linden then surely it would be some of size. Year in and year out that's the disadvantage (and the only one) they face against the St Pat's, Roselle Catholic etc. Coach Colicchio spoke on it before this season when said (not verbatim) that its just is what it is. That he just can't go outside of Linden or NJ or even the country in some cases to grab some bigs when needed. He does a great job with an. Undersized team about every year.

Jon, Bullock to me looks very much like he did when at Roselle Catholic. He made first team All State in his senior year and was the best player on RC at that time. He was able to rebound and shoot well in high school. Perhaps he might be a little heavier but he dominated games in high school. I don't know exactly why he hasn't gotten into previous games. I know he can shoot and rebound and he is pretty strong. I think he could contribute a little bit in games going forward by playing a few minutes at a time. He looked pretty good to me last night.
Thanks Art. By the way my dad passed away this past August. I regret he wasn't able to live long enough to see the basketball team prospects turn around under Pikiell. I hope you're well and doing fine...

Jon, I am so sorry to hear that. I loved both your mom and dad. It is so sad knowing that they are now both gone.I know how much they both loved RU basketball. I miss them at the games. They were such nice people.

Thank you Art . Your kind words mean very much to me . I miss them both very much.....

Would love to see Vlad Manuel here? Not sure what happens with Bullock now that he's been put in a game? Or is it Souf who leaves? First and foremost; we need Corey back for one more season.

Being an old Linden grad I would love Rutgers to bring in Jones. Maybe this games makes Pikiell take a long look at a local guy just 30 minutes from campus.

When did you graduate from Liinden?

My first date was Ellen Rosenberg, Dr. Rosenberg's (Cardiologist) daughter.

Any info on what happened to her (she would have graduated in '67)?

MO

ADVERTISEMENT