ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Heinicke

Just went right down the field.
In obvious pain with a shoulder injury.

He's a free agent after this year.
Giants should look at him as a cheap QB2 who could push Jones and step in if needed (injury or ineffectiveness).

His 280 yards tonight is more than the Giants had in any game all season (279 against Pitt in Week 1).

I doubt he is a starter in the league for any length of time. But he probably makes himself a long-term backup somewhere and thats a pretty good gig for your long term health and financial stability.

Reactions: Rokodesh and gef21
Not a starter but definitely a gamer, and an engineering major. Could be career back up and coach. I e jason Garrett

Not a starter but definitely a gamer, and an engineering major. Could be career back up and coach. I e jason Garrett
Going to disagree here.
The natural argument is if he’s so good why was he a back up in the XFL and so on.
I don’t care, what you saw last night was a guy who reads defensives, makes great timing throws and has great football IQ.
Washington should let this guy work with all the starting receivers and OL from day one.
You don’t make the reads, throws and plays out of nothing like this guy did last night by luck or chance....he’s gifted and has never been given a chance to prove it.
Well he did last night

Last edited:
Going to disagree here.
The natural argument is if he’s so good why was he a back up in the XFL and so on.
I don’t care, what you saw last night was a guy who reads defensives, makes great timing throws and his great football IQ.
Washington should let this guy work with all the starting receivers and OL from day one.
You don’t make the reads, throws and plays out of nothing like this guy did last night by luck or chance....he’s gifted and has never been given a chance to prove it.
Well he did last night
Not so sure zap. My argument has nothing to do with what you said. It has to do with the fact he’s listed at 6’1 205.

Not so sure zap. My argument has nothing to do with what you said. It has to do with the fact he’s listed at 6’1 205.
And in his 2 career starts, he was banged up in each.

Granted he came back and led a TD drive, but I think durability is a concern. And that 6'1"? When we was looking way up at Brady in the post game? I think he might be a bit shorter then that. Not that that is definite non-starter these days, but combined with the durability issues, it's something to think about.

If I'm Washington, I'm bringing him back, drafting a QB, and then seeing what happens.

If he was an engineering major and high IQ, wouldn't that make him a smaller, more mobile Ryan Fitzpatrick. He was a 4 yr starter, 3 of those years 2011-13 was in FCS, 2014 ODU became a FBS program.

Played game 4 freshman yr, started game 5(3-1) at that PT.
Fr 211-307 2385 yds 68.7% 25TD 1Int, 68 rushes 363 yds 4TD (10-3)
So 398-578 5076 yds 68.7% 44-14, 126 470 11 TD (11-2)
Jr 340-498 4022 yds 70.0% 33-8, 93 348 5 TD (8-4)
Sr 289-457 3476 yds, 63.2% 30TDs 16Int. 80 139 2TD (6-6)

14,959 yds 67.1% 132TD 39Ints (32-14) is a pretty good college career.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU-05
Reminded me a bit of early tannehill.
Was Tannehill ever that mobile?

Heinicke was impressive running, and he made some nice throws, but his pocket presence may have been the most notable aspect of his game. Some of those escapes were fantastic.

Now maybe it's easier to lay it all out there when you have one game to play and your body is as fresh as it can be. And I wonder if, after a couple games of getting banged around,(if he is even able to stay in the game), that he is able to play with such fearlessness.

Was Tannehill ever that mobile?

Heinicke was impressive running, and he made some nice throws, but his pocket presence may have been the most notable aspect of his game. Some of those escapes were fantastic.

Now maybe it's easier to lay it all out there when you have one game to play and your body is as fresh as it can be. And I wonder if, after a couple games of getting banged around,(if he is even able to stay in the game), that he is able to play with such fearlessness.
Tannehill has plenty of speed for a qb... was a big play WR at TAMU early in his career there.

Reactions: Rokodesh
He was here in Carolina as a backup (3rd string) for Ron Rivera. Ironic that Haskins is being brought in this week by the Panthers to meet with them. What do I care, I'm a Giants fan!

As a Bucs fan, I was just as stunned as the announcers with him.
Keep in mind that the Washington team had no running game as the the Bucs obviously decided to force them to pass. My guess is that they had no idea what they were wishing for.
I kept on thinking how could this guy not be a starter somewhere? Think the Patriots could do better with him than Cam?
But...he is going to have to back off of the hero stuff when he is running. He is small and was really getting banged up. Getting through a season would look kind of impossible as he was struggling to get through one game.

so is the kid from BYU and they talk about him as a top 5 pick. Both Baker Mayfield and Brees are about that size too.

Since Giants averaged 300 yards per game, yes, let’s just make stuff up.
It's just his Jones obsession. Ignore and move on.

Oh boy. You must be new around here.
If I post a number or stats - 99% of the time there is a direct source reference.
Usually not a good idea to challenge any stats I post.
I don't "just make stuff up".
I will give you credit - I didn't post a direct link in my above post.
Here you go.

2020 Giants Passing Offense:
Total Yards: 3026 yards (#29)
Based on a 16 game schedule, Average Yards Per Game: 189.1 yards (#29)

Note: 189.1 yards per game is significantly less than 300 yards per game.

Ok - now your turn to justify your "Giants averaged 300 yards pre game".
Good luck.
I'll assume you have an actual reference and didn't just "make stuff up"

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/index.htm#all_passing

Here is list of Giants specific game stats. I'll save you the suspense.
Passing yards ranged from a high of 262 (vs. Pitt) to a low of 81 (vs. Ari).

Note: 262 yards is less than the 306 yards Taylor Heinicke had against TB on Saturday night.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2020.htm

And it's not a "Jones obsession".
It is a "Giants offense went backwards and was Bottom 3 in the NFL" obsession.
Sorry, I have this weird quirk where having a an offense go backwards and finish bottom of the league annoys me.

Reactions: zappaa
If I post a number or stats - 99% of the time there is a direct source reference.
Here you go.

Good luck.

Note: 262 yards is less than the 306 yards Taylor Heinicke had against TB on Saturday night.

Sorry, I have this weird quirk where having a an offense go backwards and finish bottom of the league annoys me.
He must be confusing total yards with passing yards Nick

Reactions: NickRU714
He must be confusing total yards with passing yards Nick

Perhaps. However, the thread was clearly about Tyler and his production.

Regardless, Giants Total Yards per game were 299.625 per game (4,794 total yards).
I guess you could round that up to 300 total yards per game.

Just to provide context - that is #31 in the league in Yards/Game.
Ahead of only the Jets.

Here you go.

Good luck.

I first thought you might have been talking about just passing at first. But saw Giants threw for 262 vs Pitt so figured you were referring to total yards. Pro football reference has Giants total yards for season at 4794 or 300 per game.

ADVERTISEMENT