ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting TBT: Looking at Rutgers and Akron projected starters as recruits

Reactions: TM94goRU
The kind of game where a running QB drastically reduces the chance of losing to a MAC team if the pass game sputters.

HS ratings are similar but our transfers are kids that are moving up because they were good at lower levels and theirs are kids transferring down.
And we have 2 star kids that have played like 4 stars.

I’ll always remember something flood told me- that a kid like my son, he wouldn’t have taken him at Delaware because they just don’t have the resources or ability to take a “prospect” and build and coach him correctly, but at Rutgers, that was in place and such a higher rate of success.

Interesting to see their WR room ranked higher than ours coming out of high school.

The major difference in early assessment talent is in the lines.

Wait - so Finley actually had a rib injury before the OSU game?
I'm talking about the Rutgers side of things, I'm unsure of the Akron injury report. Like I posted on here, they don't have a beat reporter and aren't in the Big Ten so they don't require an injury report.

I'm talking about the Rutgers side of things, I'm unsure of the Akron injury report. Like I posted on here, they don't have a beat reporter and aren't in the Big Ten so they don't require an injury report.
Yes - I totally get that. I was talking about the Akron injury report in the link. Ours is clearly just rolled forward as Greg makes it clear he’s not revealing anything other than what and when he’s required to.

Im suddenly a bit concerned about this game...
I've been concerned ... and I'm even more so now seeing the talent (on paper) that Akron has.

Everyone's been talking about Virginia Tech since the schedule came out. How a win there and Rutgers will be 3-0 vs Washington.

If this Akron game isn't a classic example of a so-called trap game, I don't know what is.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
If I’m Akron, I force AK to make plays in the passing game by bringing 8 and 9 into the “box.” KM is gonna have to work for yards as Akron is not undersized.

It counts of course, but what’s the average without the one busted coverage pass in the backfield to Brown he scored the long TD on ? I’ll check.
YPC = Yards Per Carry.. why did I even bother to look at your IGNORED post?

YPC = Yards Per Carry.. why did I even bother to look at your IGNORED post?
I thought he meant YPC = Yards Per Catch. I believed that is the more common meaning, Mr. Rozelle, but I could be wrong.i have
seen it used both ways but since we’re talking about a QB, he should be judged on passing

It counts of course, but what’s the average without the one busted coverage pass in the backfield to Brown he scored the long TD on ? I’ll check.

I thought he meant YPC = Yards Per Catch. I believed that is the more common meaning, Mr. Rozelle, but I could be wrong.i have
seen it used both ways but since we’re talking about a QB, he should be judged on passing

Huh? It was directly in response to a comment that a running QB like Wimsatt supposedly reducing the risk of losing.

AK basically couldn’t have ran more efficiently last week if he tried. He ran for 1st downs on 5 of 6 rush attempts and picked up 9 yards on 2nd and 10 on the other attempt.

Reactions: Wagram97
i am pretty sure that is not what is used for QB passing

Reactions: TRU2RU
Is Ben Finley definitely out? Not on the list.

On paper, their recruit rankings match up pretty well with Rutgers' rankings.

I’m not seeing how anyone would expect otherwise considering we don’t have that many starters with 4 star ratings out of HS. Where do the 3 star guys who don’t pan out at the major conference level go?

I’ve said for weeks that Akron’s D is decent. Concern about taking that too lightly I could see. But concerns about how their recruiting ranking stacks up? I just don’t get it. Would you taken anyone on their OL over Pierce? Who cares what his rating was (I know the answer). I’m not sure there are even 5 starters on their team who would start for us in total. Thats what matters.

I’m not seeing how anyone would expect otherwise considering we don’t have that many starters with 4 star ratings out of HS. Where do the 3 star guys who don’t pan out at the major conference level go?

I’ve said for weeks that Akron’s D is decent. Concern about taking that too lightly I could see. But concerns about how their recruiting ranking stacks up? I just don’t get it. Would you taken anyone on their OL over Pierce? Who cares what his rating was (I know the answer). I’m not sure there are even 5 starters on their team who would start for us in total. Thats what matters.
QB play matters most of all. Hopefully ours plays better than theirs.

QB play matters most of all. Hopefully ours plays better than theirs.
their QB's really don't have the best stats to show that they can play with the big boys. We still arent sure about AK but I don't think I am going out on a limb by saying our QB is at least as good as theirs. And our defense is lightyears better. Our RB's are lightyears better and our OL is lightyears better.

What does that mean- they may put up a score or two and be in it till halftime- but unless we shit the bed and they play a perfect game- they shouldn't be close. No different then our chances against OSU most years

Reactions: Kbee3
The more talented QB doesn’t always outplay the other. That’s why I said what matters is who plays better.

Quit digging the hole.

(EDIT: corrected from You mentioned to Someone mentioned..)

Someone mentioned needing a running QB. I mentioned our current QBs YARDS PER CARRY and you then went on tilt talking about YARDS PER CATCH as if we were discussing a WR.. and then you claim it is the more common meaning.

Quit digging.

We see you don't know anything and you are only here to troll. Do yourself a favor and disappear from this board. Go haunt somewheres else.

Last edited:
Quit digging the hole.

You mentioned needing a running QB. I mentioned our current QBs YARDS PER CARRY and you then went on tilt talking about YARDS PER CATCH as if we were discussing a WR.. and then you claim it is the more common meaning.

Quit digging.

We see you don't know anything and you are only here to troll. Do yourself a favor and disappear from this board. Go haunt somewheres else.

Knight Owl mentioned the running QB. That wasn’t Shelby.

That said - I can’t see how he would argue Bullock seems like the better QB on paper. Bullock seems like a poor man’s Wimsatt to me.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Quit digging the hole.

You mentioned needing a running QB. I mentioned our current QBs YARDS PER CARRY and you then went on tilt talking about YARDS PER CATCH as if we were discussing a WR.. and then you claim it is the more common meaning.

Quit digging.

Digging how ? If AK outplays the other QB, we are almost certain to win. If he doesn’t, who knows. Shelby does not prefer QBs who run and can’t manage any vertical passing production.

Last edited:
Digging how ? If AK outplays the other QB, we are almost certain to win. If he doesn’t, who knows. Shelby does not prefer QBs who run and can’t manage any vertical passing production.

You obviously missed Knight Owls posts about us being better off (less at risk of losing to Akron) with a running QB. Good Ol was responding to that which had nothing to do with any of what you said. The point is, thus far, nothing AK has done in an RU uniform should lead anyone to worry about his running ability. He picked up first down in 5 of 6 opportunities running the ball so far and 9 yards in the other carry,

You obviously missed Knight Owls posts about us being better off (less at risk of losing to Akron) with a running QB. Good Ol was responding to that which had nothing to do with any of what you said. The point is, thus far, nothing AK has done in an RU uniform should lead anyone to worry about his running ability. He picked up first down in 5 of 6 opportunities running the ball so far and 9 yards in the other carry,
Yes, missed that. Shelby doesn’t worry about AK’s running ability. Against good teams, that’s irrelevant. Howard needed to focus entirely on stopping our bell cow, selling out there and therefore gave up yards on occasional AK bootlegs. He worries that his passing ability won’t surpass Wimsatt’s in the sense that he can’t win games for us with his arm when necessary either.

I've been concerned ... and I'm even more so now seeing the talent (on paper) that Akron has.

Everyone's been talking about Virginia Tech since the schedule came out. How a win there and Rutgers will be 3-0 vs Washington.

If this Akron game isn't a classic example of a so-called trap game, I don't know what is.
How do you look at that and come to the conclusion that Akron has "talent" on paper?

These guys transferred to one of the worst FBS programs. If they played to their HS rankings they wouldn't be at Akron.

Their OL/DL will not be able to compete with ours and will eventually get worn down.

Reactions: Kbee3
Yes, missed that. Shelby doesn’t worry about AK’s running ability. Against good teams, that’s irrelevant. Howard needed to focus entirely on stopping our bell cow, selling out there and therefore gave up yards on occasional AK bootlegs. He worries that his passing ability won’t surpass Wimsatt’s in the sense that he can’t win games for us with his arm when necessary either.

Again - this discussion wasn’t even about good teams either. It was about “not losing” to Akron who doesn’t qualify as a good team regardless of what happens tomorrow. Good Ol was only saying that Gavin’s running ability relative to AK’s is not likely to matter at all.

How do you look at that and come to the conclusion that Akron has "talent" on paper?

These guys transferred to one of the worst FBS programs. If they played to their HS rankings they wouldn't be at Akron.

Their OL/DL will not be able to compete with ours and will eventually get worn down.

Yeah exactly. I’m not sure why anyone would be concerned about 3 stars who transferred into Akron from other programs where they couldn’t crack the starting line up. Thats what life is in the transfer portal era. You don’t have to sit out a year. The days of the 3rd and 4th stringers on major conference rosters being better than MAC starters ended a long time ago. Kids want to play.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Yeah exactly. I’m not sure why anyone would be concerned about 3 stars who transferred into Akron from other programs where they couldn’t crack the starting line up. Thats what life is in the transfer portal era. You don’t have to sit out a year. The days of the 3rd and 4th stringers on major conference rosters being better than MAC starters ended a long time ago. Kids want to play.
I get it- pretty much any given day, a favored team could have everything go wrong and the underdog can have everything go right.

but if the HS rankings are putting fear into some fans, that is crazy. OMG- we have a walk-on LT and a 2 star RB…is there anyone on the Akron roster that was a high 3 star playing better?
Our RB and LT mentioned are playing like 5 stars and both will be in the NFL.
Maybe count how many players on the field will be wearing an NFL jersey at some point.

And could you imagine the fear on paper is QB’s like GW or Art had transferred there? lol

I was hinting at using an Aaaa Johnny Sheppard package at times to shake things up and force the Akron coaches to adjust their defense during the game. The dude has a 4.53 electronically timed 40 in the books. GW was great for a team lacking elite WR’s and TE’s.

sexy happy days GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT