• 36-40

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Outside top 40

Votes: 65 32.5%

• Total voters

RUwoz

All Conference
Jul 20, 2014
where do we end up? With a lot of commits for many schools in the last two weeks, we have fallen slightly but pickups like Bolds will help us. Currently ranked 41 by Rivals, 38 by 24/7, 40 by scout, and 43 by espn

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/

According to the Rivals ranking database RU is at this moment ranked 44th overall and tied for 40th with average star rank per commit. TOS is almost exactly the same w a current overall rank of 40. Currently a little better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Pitt, Indiana, BC, Syracuse and others.

According to the Rivals ranking database RU is at this moment ranked 44th overall and tied for 40th with average star rank per commit. TOS is almost exactly the same w a current overall rank of 40. Currently a little better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Pitt, Indiana, BC, Syracuse and others.

Latest commit 3-star Tiquan Mason isn't listed per that 44th rank in Rivals.

--------
Early on many were suckered by the jump we sometimes get with early verbals, that put us close to a 20 rank...upper 30's would be great in the end, but 42-45 is more realistic

Next year we go through the same euphoria if we get numerous early verbals. What we need are some late 4 star players for a nice finish after our usual quick start to keep us in the 30's

Currently Rivals has Pitt ranked #33 and Rutgers ranked #44.

Have to wait until Feb 1 (NLI Day) to see the final poll numbers.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Currently Rivals has Pitt ranked #33 and Rutgers ranked #44.

Have to wait until Feb 1 (NLI Day) to see the final poll numbers.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

When you sort by average star/commit (click on that column header) you will see Pitt is tied at #40 with many others at an average of 3 stars/commit. And with 22 commits already chances that number won't change much. And as others catch up to that 22 number Pitt's overall ranking of 33 will most likely decrease. And Rutgers is in the same boat, with the additions of 2 star Devera and probable 2 star RB Dunlap , RU's avg/commit will go down a little as well. RU will add a few 3 stars as well, as I would imagine Pitt will do same , but has less room at this point.

Mississippi State

20 0 4 13 3.05 1506
Kentucky

23 0 4 16 3.04 1708
Illinois

19 0 3 13 3 1365
Rutgers

19 0 3 13 3 1367
Baylor

20 0 1 18 3 1485
Pittsburgh

22 0 2 18 3 1498
Virginia Tech

24 0 4 16 3 1635
Colorado

24 0 2 19 2.96 1574

Last edited:
I think joining the B1G will start to pay off after Coach Ash shows he can win at least 6 games this season.I never felt the state coaches bought into the whole Coach Flood regime.To all the GS haters,I wish he had stayed, having his B1G dream in place now, I feel he would have absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail. What could have been,Oh well, Que Sera,Sera.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...YuLRQqkobQqL-52Nw&sig2=3RM80gtxGL_DUwq9q1o2Sw

Reactions: RUaMoose
I'm curious who those who voted we'd finish in the top-25 think we will get that will boost us that high? Or maybe they just haven't followed along Recruiting recently and remember us being top-20 at one point

I always look at 247 rankings and tend to ignore the others services.

Yup. I think the 247 Composite is the best measure, as it takes into account the opinions of each recruiting service. As of last night:

2. Ohio State
4. Michigan
14. Penn State
18. Maryland
25. Nebraska
32. Michigan State
37. Northwestern
39. Rutgers
40. Wisconsin
44. Illinois
51. Minnesota
53. Iowa
58. Indiana
66. Purdue

Reactions: Akron Buck
That's nice for PITT. But maybe you should post this on the PITT message board? Rutgers and PITT are not in the same conference and don't play each other.
Growl is a regular RU poster and while clearly a Pitt fan I always find him respectful.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Pretty sure we finish in the 30's. Hopefully lower end of that range than higher

I think joining the B1G will start to pay off after Coach Ash shows he can win at least 6 games this season.I never felt the state coaches bought into the whole Coach Flood regime.To all the GS haters,I wish he had stayed, having his B1G dream in place now, I feel he would have absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail. What could have been,Oh well, Que Sera,Sera.

If he stayed, and we were in the B1G, he would've slaughtered it.

Growl is a regular RU poster and while clearly a Pitt fan I always find him respectful.
Nobody was accusing him of being rude, he just posted something that isn't at all relevant nor does anyone here care about unless they are also a pitt fan

The post I made was not random but was in response to a post by abro1975 who referenced team recruiting rankings mentioning Rutgers and Pitt among others.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

my gut feeling is this class ends with a puff instead of a bang. Seems like a lot of late offers going out to guys that are borderline talent.

Rutgers is currently 39th in the 247 Composite with a cumulative score of 180.41.

A reasonable close might be something like: Tijuan Mason, Corey Bolds, Eddie Lewis, Travis Vokolek and Axel Nyembwe.

Assuming no decommits, that would put the overall class score at 189.37. In 2016, that would have been the 41st best class nationally.

The post I made was not random but was in response to a post by abro1975 who referenced team recruiting rankings mentioning Rutgers and Pitt among others.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I have nothing against Growl. I have been reading the board for years and Growl is always polite. But not sure why he posts all this stuff about Pittsburgh on the Rutgers board. It's been years since Rutgers and Pitt have been in the same conference. Is there a Rutgers supporter on the PITT board always sending messages about how great Rutgers is compared to Pitt? I think Pitt needs New Jersey recruits more than Rutgers needs PA recruits so maybe Growl likes to talk up PITT on the message board of the state of New Jersey thinking that could help Pitt recruiting jersey guys. I don't know.

GS would have done well recruiting at RU in the B1G, however, I don't think he would have EVER done what Franklin did - let a coordinator go, bring someone in, and let them coordinate.

Yup. I think the 247 Composite is the best measure, as it takes into account the opinions of each recruiting service. As of last night:

2. Ohio State
4. Michigan
14. Penn State
18. Maryland
25. Nebraska
32. Michigan State
37. Northwestern
39. Rutgers
40. Wisconsin
44. Illinois
51. Minnesota
53. Iowa
58. Indiana
66. Purdue
Scary to think how well the B1G East division is recruiting. Makes it very hard for us to gain ground in the conference standings....

Scary to think how well the B1G East division is recruiting. Makes it very hard for us to gain ground in the conference standings....

Updated this morning:

2. Ohio State
4. Michigan
14. Penn State
18. Maryland
25. Nebraska
32. Michigan State
37. Northwestern
41. Wisconsin
43. Rutgers
44. Illinois
49. Minnesota
52. Iowa
57. Indiana
62. Purdue

Reactions: REDRICH65
Updated this morning:

2. Ohio State
4. Michigan
14. Penn State
18. Maryland
25. Nebraska
32. Michigan State
37. Northwestern
41. Wisconsin
43. Rutgers
44. Illinois
49. Minnesota
52. Iowa
57. Indiana
62. Purdue

We'll move up again once the Mason commit is official. Still 5 teams above us with a LOWER per-star and 1 team above us with an EQUAL per-star. All with MORE commits than us.

We'll be back in the top 40 once the Mason commit is official.

Unlikely.

RU's cumulative score now is 178.71. Mason brings it to 180.4, which would be good for 41st, and that's independent of who other programs in that range might lose/gain before Mason's verbal becomes official.

I edited my comments.

Fair enough. I'm not here to bash Ash and his staff's work on the recruiting trail. It's obviously a big improvement over Flood. However, I have said here throughout this cycle that I felt you guys were giving him a bit too much credit, largely because of the low comparison base of the Flood era.

To that end, I'm not sure where you're getting your averages. According to 247, RU ranks 11th in the B1G in terms of average player rating, with Illinois and Iowa jumping up despite having lower cumulative scores.

Fair enough. I'm not here to bash Ash and his staff's work on the recruiting trail. It's obviously a big improvement over Flood. However, I have said here throughout this cycle that I felt you guys were giving him a bit too much credit, largely because of the low comparison base of the Flood era.

To that end, I'm not sure where you're getting your averages. According to 247, RU ranks 11th in the B1G in terms of average player rating, with Illinois and Iowa jumping up despite having lower cumulative scores.

I'm getting my averages here and am talking about all schools, not just B1G, fyi.

I'm getting my averages here and am talking about all schools, not just B1G, fyi.

Got it. I prefer 247's ranking system, but to each his own. They don't, however, allow you to sort by the average, so I won't go through the trouble of seeing where RU ranks nationally in those terms over there.

Looking nationally on Rivals, there appear to be six teams that are behind RU overall, but have a higher average and fewer verbals, so that balances out. Things are fluid obviously with a week to go. In the end, RU is going to be somewhere in the 45 range most likely.

Last edited:
the current system works against Rutgers since schools like Michigan and Ohio St can offer late to guys we have committed as spots open up. They may lose a 4 star and then pick up one of our 4 star players. Then we replace the 4 star with a 2 star.

We have seen it recently with Iowa who is a level below Michigan and Ohio St but has a nice football tradition and was in a good bowl game.

the current system works against Rutgers since schools like Michigan and Ohio St can offer late to guys we have committed as spots open up. They may lose a 4 star and then pick up one of our 4 star players. Then we replace the 4 star with a 2 star.

We have seen it recently with Iowa who is a level below Michigan and Ohio St but has a nice football tradition and was in a good bowl game.

That's not the system's fault. Meaning, no system is ever going to change the fact that some programs are more desirable than others.

Allowing kids to sign in December will benefit them because they'll have a month to figure out their options when they learn that Alabama or Ohio State offer wasn't committable, but the elite programs will always have an advantage in recruiting.

Fair enough. I'm not here to bash Ash and his staff's work on the recruiting trail. It's obviously a big improvement over Flood.
Sure you are. Otherwise you wouldn't be here posting updated recruiting rankings every time we drop. You use that as an excuse every time you post here," I'm not here to bash" then proceed to degrade our team. Your intentions here are plain and simple. It's to show people how superior you feel psu is to RU, under the guise that your trying to educate us poor soles.

Reactions: CERU00
Sure you are. Otherwise you wouldn't be here posting updated recruiting rankings every time we drop. You use that as an excuse every time you post here," I'm not here to bash" then proceed to degrade our team. Your intentions here are to show people how superior you feel psu is to RU.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'll have no problem updating the B1G rankings at 247 should RU improve. Like I have no problem complimenting Ash while also recognizing he hasn't been the panacea to RU recruiting many have made him out to be over the past months. As far as PSU/RU, that gets settled on the field.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'll have no problem updating the B1G rankings at 247 should RU improve. Like I have no problem complimenting Ash while also recognizing he hasn't been the panacea to RU recruiting many of made him out to be over the past months. As far as PSU/RU, that gets settled on the field.

A lot of it is for 2 reasons:

- MUCH better recruiting in NJ
- MUCH MUCH better recruiting of the NJ top 10'ish
- MANY more P5 offers

A lot of it is for 2 reasons:

- MUCH better recruiting in NJ
- MUCH MUCH better recruiting of the NJ top 10'ish
- MANY more P5 offers

No arguments with any of that.

I suppose what it comes down to is, what is the bar you set when you're measuring how successful a recruiting cycle is? It has to be more than, "much better than Kyle Flood," because that doesn't necessarily mean it's all that great. In fact, it would have been far more impressive if he was somehow worse than Flood, since I'm not sure that's possible.

And even then, it ties into what your expectations are for RU moving forward. Is it to fight for bowl eligibility annually like a Maryland or Minnesota? Is it to occasionally contend for more like a Michigan State or Iowa. Or is it to ultimately win B1G titles and more? If it's the latter, these types of classes are not a direct path to success.

I guess, for me, as someone who thinks titles have to be the primary goal, that's where I think there has been a disconnect between the praise Ash has received for this class and what I feel are mediocre results when you ignore the disaster he followed and just look at the class for what it is. That's not to ignore the fact that you don't become a recruiting powerhouse overnight, but we can only judge what's in front of us at a given time.

For example, I understand that Maryland had some more on-field success than RU this season, but Durkin is also a first-year coach. Should Maryland be 20+ spots ahead of RU in the recruiting rankings? What is he doing to generate excitement that maybe Ash is not? Or is it because of other things - facilities, etc.? Just something to think about, especially since I think RU/Maryland will be compared for a long time.

Last edited:

I suppose what it comes down to is, what is the bar you set when you're measuring how successful a recruiting cycle is? It has to be more than, "much better than Kyle Flood," because that doesn't necessarily mean it's all that great. In fact, it would have been far more impressive if he was somehow worse than Flood, since I'm not sure that's possible.

And even then, it ties into what your expectations are for RU moving forward. Is it to fight for bowl eligibility annually like a Maryland or Minnesota? Is it to occasionally contend for more like a Michigan State or Iowa. Or is it to ultimately win B1G titles and more? If it's the latter, these types of classes are not a direct path to success.

I guess, for me, as someone who thinks titles have to be the primary goal, that's where I think there has been a disconnect between the praise Ash has received for this class and what I feel are mediocre results when you ignore the disaster he followed and just look at the class for what it is. That's not to ignore the fact that you don't become a recruiting powerhouse overnight, but we can only judge what's in front of us at a given time.

For example, I understand that Maryland had some more on-field success than RU this season, but Durkin is also a first-year coach. Should Maryland be 20+ spots ahead of RU in the recruiting rankings? What is he doing to generate excitement that maybe Ash is not? Or is it because of other things - facilities, etc.? Just something to think about, especially since I think RU/Maryland will be compared for a long time.

re: Maryland

- IMHO it's a combination of things this year. Facilities, what happened here under Flood, and the fact that he was able to capitalize in a state with MUCH MORE pride than there is here in NJ. Maryland was also set up better, coming into 2016, for a winning season, so put that up against our disaster and there you go. Durkin has landed the #'s 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 20, in what appears to be a very good year for that state. That's a huge # of top 20 in-state recruits for anyone to land.

re: Maryland

- IMHO it's a combination of things this year. Facilities, what happened here under Flood, and the fact that he was able to capitalize in a state with MUCH MORE pride than there is here in NJ. Maryland was also set up better, coming into 2016, for a winning season, so put that up against our disaster and there you go. Durkin has landed the #'s 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 20, in what appears to be a very good year for that state. That's a huge # of top 20 in-state recruits for anyone to land.
I think one of the telling things was that Durkin was able to come in last year and actually get some decent recruits to be excited about the change and commit to hime where Ash was unable to make that happen. Maybe that is state pride, maybe that was Durkin starting ASAP and Ash staying at OSU - who knows. He doesn't have one leg up on us but two.

Titles may be the end goal for PSU and the B1G blue bloods but RU is playing catch up so we're simply not at that point. Maybe one day we'll be focused on titles, but for now we (or at least those among us with reasonable expectations) are looking for incremental improvement, bowl eligibility, and ultimately being able to compete with the bulk of the B1G East Division. From that perspective - and given where we were under Flood - the enthusiasm generated by Ash's early recruiting seems well-earned.

Further, I'd say some of the shine is coming off Flood and his overall "approval rating" among RU fans has come down a fair amount (based on this season's performance and a slowdown after a hot start to recruiting). He's getting more than his fair share of criticism and doubts at this point, so it's not like he's universally looked at a savior.

Coming off a disastrous period under the previous regime, we have still managed to secure verbals from two of the Top 5 in NJ, and a decent representation among the Top 25, and are at least within the stratosphere of the programs we are chasing. This is a huge improvement over where we were and because of that, I'd say enthusiasm is warranted.

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
ADVERTISEMENT