ADVERTISEMENT

Teams underperform in a game all the time.....

Greene Rice FIG

Hall of Famer
Dec 30, 2005
We underperformed by 30 points last night (21 point defeat PLUS we being better team by 7-10).

This occurs many times all over college basketball. I’ll bet almost every time it is a discrepancy on both sides in 3 point shooting.

I’ll bet every fan base has similar complaints as we do.

chemistry bad
Coaching bad
Rotations bad
Players soft
Players don’t care

I am not saying there aren’t things that we should be concerned about. I can guarantee you all but 3 or 4 schools have things to be concerned about their team too. All teams, but a select few, have warts.

time to take a step back and look at the big picture. We aren’t what we were yesterday. We aren’t what we were in the last 28 minutes vs IU.

in the end so much of this comes down to shooting on both sides. I am not dismissing how we react to our bad shooting, but I think you really need to look at big picture.

VS Indiana we were brilliant for 28 minutes. Don’t think it takes a dummy to know why. It is obvious what the catalyst was.

We made a ton of 3s. Including 7 of 8 at one point.
But why did we make them? Saying we shot better isn't saying anything. Our deviations by everyone on the roster from game to game are ginormous.

Based on the fact that it is statistically proven we are NOT a very good 3 pt shooting team, any time we shoot the hell out of it is the aberration. Until we get better 3 pt shooters, that might suggest we take fewer of them.

Based on the fact that it is statistically proven we are NOT a very good 3 pt shooting team, any time we shoot the hell out of it is the aberration. Until we get better 3 pt shooters, that might suggest we take fewer of them.

If we are a 30% shooting team, why would 40% be any more of an aberration than 20%?

Reactions: RURahh
We're 283rd nationally at 3P% with .311 on the season, and we came out firing threes like we were the Houston Rockets. If we continued shooting threes the whole game at the rate we did the first 5:22, we'd have finished with 45 3PA. Could that really have been Pike's intent - fire threes like there was no tomorrow against the team with the best 3P% defense in the conference?

We're 283rd nationally at 3P% with .311 on the season, and we came out firing threes like we were the Houston Rockets. If we continued shooting threes the whole game at the rate we did the first 5:22, we'd have finished with 45 3PA. Could that really have been Pike's intent - fire threes like there was no tomorrow against the team with the best 3P% defense in the conference?
I thought the Rockets were known for dominating inside. How many teams start 2 7 footers. The shorter one is very athletic and coordinated.

I thought the Rockets were known for dominating inside. How many teams start 2 7 footers. The shorter one is very athletic and coordinated.

The Rockets have led the NBA in 3PA for 6 of the last 8 seasons (2nd in 2015-16 behind GSW, and 5th this year now that Harden has left). They peaked two seasons ago with 45.4/g, and last year had 45.3/g.

Reactions: NickRU714
We underperformed by 30 points last night (21 point defeat PLUS we being better team by 7-10).

This occurs many times all over college basketball. I’ll bet almost every time it is a discrepancy on both sides in 3 point shooting.

chemistry bad
Coaching bad
Rotations bad
Players soft
Players don’t care

I am not saying there aren’t things that we should be concerned about. I can guarantee you all but 3 or 4 schools have things to be concerned about their team too. All teams, but a select few, have warts.

time to take a step back and look at the big picture. We aren’t what we were yesterday. We aren’t what we were in the last 28 minutes vs IU.

in the end so much of this comes down to shooting on both sides. I am not dismissing how we react to our bad shooting, but I think you really need to look at big picture.

VS Indiana we were brilliant for 28 minutes. Don’t think it takes a dummy to know why. It is obvious what the catalyst was.
You fail to realize the team we’re playing often dictates how awful we are.
Nebraska made us look bad.
They imposed their will and we folded like a cheap suit.

I get teams have off shooting nights, but our recent performances (and lack thereof) seem more of a team-wide issue. I just can't accept that the entire team has an off shooting night more nights than not. We have eight players getting significant minutes a game and our recent shooting performances have been a collective abomination.

The law of averages would seem to indicate on any given night some players shoot above their norm while others shoot below theirs. With RU, its much more of an all or nothing result. To attribute it all to players pressing when the shots don't fall is just too simplistic. I don't think basketball is that bipolar. There has to be more to it than that.

There has definitely been a Jekyll and Hyde nature to the defense this year. Last year it was good effort every game. This year they seem to take some games off from playing D.

I get teams have off shooting nights, but our recent performances (and lack thereof) seem more of a team-wide issue. I just can't accept that the entire team has an off shooting night more nights than not. We have eight players getting significant minutes a game and our recent shooting performances have been a collective abomination.

The law of averages would seem to indicate on any given night some players shoot above their norm while others shoot below theirs. With RU, its much more of an all or nothing result. To attribute it all to players pressing when the shots don't fall is just too simplistic. I don't think basketball is that bipolar. There has to be more to it than that.

Question is what their "norm" is.

Career averages from 3P for players with at least 70 career attempts:
.327 - Baker (542 attempts)
.315 - Harper (337 attempts)
.293 - McConnell (193 attempts)
.291 - Young (337 attempts)
.277 - Mathis (195 attempts)

We're really not a great 3P shooting team - even with some of these players shooting better overall this year than their career numbers.

We're really not a great 3P shooting team - even with some of these players shooting better overall this year than their career numbers.
Thanks for posting this. It really puts things in proper perspective in black and white more than any other post the past 24 hours. Clearly our hot shooting from early December was the exception to the norm, while our recent shooting woes is the truer reversion to the mean. 🥺

You fail to realize the team we’re playing often dictates how awful we are.
Nebraska made us look bad.
They imposed their will and we folded like a cheap suit.
Definitely an issue how certain individuals respond when they don’t make baskets.

I see the Nebraska game as a snowball that began with #11 starting the game hot and then the snow ball kept getting bigger fueled by us missing shots sprinkled in with the thought that the switch was going to to get turned Indiana style.

my theory is we would have been steam rolled in Indiana if we didn’t catch fire making 7of 8 threes in the last 8 minutes of the 1st half. Gave us energy and momentum and Indiana folded like your cheap suit

these are facts and they are frightening. Sample size is big enough here to form conclusions.

Reactions: RUChoppin and RW90
. . .

. . .
So how about we expand the consideration beyond yesterday and look at the overall picture, which might show how much good there's been and how much bad. Overall, for the year, we are lower than 100 as a team in the following three categories: points per game (182nd), opponents points per game (106th), and rebounds per game (149th). Think that over.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
So how about we expand the consideration beyond yesterday and look at the overall picture, which might show how much good there's been and how much bad. Overall, for the year, we are lower than 100 as a team in the following three categories: points per game (182nd), opponents points per game (106th), and rebounds per game (149th). Think that over.
Get back to me when you adjust for SOS

How about this under performance two years ago,
2nd to last regular season 2018-19
OSU(18-11, 8-10) 50 FG 17-64 26.6% 3pt 4-26 15.4%
NW(12-17, 3-15) 68

Last year, 2019-20
Purdue 37 FG 15-60 25% 3pt 3-17 17.6%
Same team scored over 100 on Iowa
Illinois 63

Northwestern St shot 0-26 from 3 in 2012
Vanderbilt shot 0-25 from 3 against Tenn from 3 in 2020

Last edited:

Some pretty good batting averages but woeful 3 point shooting percentages.Its no wonder that Rutgers has such difficulty even scoring 60 points.

Reactions: RUChoppin

There some dude named Ken Pom or something who crunched those numbers and seems to come to a different conclusion than you?

We should just run a very fast offense and try to score at will. Maybe with such a low FG % we need to take more shots on goal

then just play stifling defense and I think we win more games

chemistry bad
Coaching bad
Rotations bad
Players soft
Players don’t care

You know there are psycho UM fans tonight calling for Howard's head, lol.

The Rockets have led the NBA in 3PA for 6 of the last 8 seasons (2nd in 2015-16 behind GSW, and 5th this year now that Harden has left). They peaked two seasons ago with 45.4/g, and last year had 45.3/g.

Don't bother responding.
This board is clueless about the NBA and hasn't watched a game in 94 years.

Until NBA draft projection time.
Then they think they're an NBA expert - see all the "RHJ is leaving for the NBA" and "Player X is a guaranteed 1st round pick" threads.

We all knew this last year... for many years really.

Its just that the early season run had us shooting great from 3.. as if the CoVid presason ha deveryone practicing threes. And those 3s opened up the lanes for all manner of alley-oops.

A few injuries.. a funk.. a slum.. and our good 3-point shooting disappeared.

And for years now, many people here have repeated that we need to recruit SHOOTERS... 3 point shooters. That is where the game is today.

Reactions: RW90
We all knew this last year... for many years really.

Its just that the early season run had us shooting great from 3.. as if the CoVid presason ha deveryone practicing threes. And those 3s opened up the lanes for all manner of alley-oops.

A few injuries.. a funk.. a slum.. and our good 3-point shooting disappeared.

And for years now, many people here have repeated that we need to recruit SHOOTERS... 3 point shooters. That is where the game is today.
I'm still at a loss how just about everyone seemed to be en fuego earlier this season.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
ADVERTISEMENT