ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about the Scarlet Lot

RUskoolie

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2007
I joined a tailgate last week in Scarlet and decided to move my tribe for next season. I've been in Blue for years but it's a shell of what it used to be 5 years ago and I'm not as poor anymore. What is the best spot in Scarlet? How early do you have to get in usually to get first row? How is it getting out? (Can't imagine worse than Blue) Charcoal cans anywhere? Any other tips for a newbie?

Reactions: biker7766
I joined a tailgate last week in Scarlet and decided to move my tribe for next season. I've been in Blue for years but it's a shell of what it used to be 5 years ago and I'm not as poor anymore. What is the best spot in Scarlet? How early do you have to get in usually to get first row? How is it getting out? (Can't imagine worse than Blue) Charcoal cans anywhere? Any other tips for a newbie?
If you think its hard to get out if the blue than I can't give you any advice. I've been in every single lot other than yellow and the only one ever difficult was purple.
Ok, ill play a bit. Was in Scarlet last season and if we showed 2 hrs Pre game wed get 2nd row. But that was the Ash effect. Hopefully it changes real soon and you'll be back by entrance with that arrival time.

Over the last 3+ decades we've been in Yellow (before it had a name), White, Scarlet, Yellow, Blue and Yellow again.

The Scarlet lot is a good scene, although if you're looking for something that's genuinely amped up from the Blue or Yellow lots, I don't think that's what you'll find in Scarlet. We ultimately gave up on it because it was too cramped when the lot was even semi-filled (the actual parking spaces mean that you really only get 8.5' of space) and it was pure hell getting out, particularly making the left onto River Road.

The easiest lot to get in and out of is the Yellow lot. It's been our real favorite over the years - good people, some great tailgates without having to worry about being overrun by hooligans or cops and close to the stadium.

Over the last 3+ decades we've been in Yellow (before it had a name), White, Scarlet, Yellow, Blue and Yellow again.

The Scarlet lot is a good scene, although if you're looking for something that's genuinely amped up from the Blue or Yellow lots, I don't think that's what you'll find in Scarlet. We ultimately gave up on it because it was too cramped when the lot was even semi-filled (the actual parking spaces mean that you really only get 8.5' of space) and it was pure hell getting out, particularly making the left onto River Road.

The easiest lot to get in and out of is the Yellow lot. It's been our real favorite over the years - good people, some great tailgates without having to worry about being overrun by hooligans or cops and close to the stadium.
Great point on the space side. It was terribly cramped and "ding city".

I loved the Scarlet Lot. Before they told you where to park we always parked along Sutphan Rd and put our grill on the space where you couldn't park because of the angle.
Once they started with the attendants it ruined everything. Wound up parking way down the row towards River Rd. It sucked getting out. Then they finally priced me out of the
lot with the $2,500 fee even though I had enough points to park there. That's when I moved to Green for a few years before I gave up my season tickets because of the weather.
Tailgating 3 hrs before kickoff then sitting in the stands in rain and snow became a pain.

Appreciate it. Now that I have kids I just want something that is a little easier for me. Being on pavement is a big attraction to me instead of needing to worry about mud, dust, etc and being in the shadow of the stadium is also cool. It's definitely a different crowd than Blue or Yellow though, that much I am certain of.

To me, the downside of the Scarlet Lot is that you tailgate on blacktop, which is really hot in September.

The big advantage is you are really close to the stadium, especially if you sit on the west side. (If you sit on the east side, and you get to the Yellow lot early enough to get a space close up, the Yellow lot is probably closer to your seats.)

The Scarlet lot tends to be the most subdued of the tailgate lots because the fans who can afford to park there are usually older and well-heeled. Even the younger fans who tailgate there are those looking for a more subdued atmosphere. It is a matter of your preference if you would rather be in a more subdued lot or a wilder lot.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I have been in what's now called yellow since the mid 80s. But over time I have tailgated in Scarlet, Green, White, Blue, and Purple. In my opinion, they are all good for tailgating.

The wildest is blue. The most sophisticated is Scarlet. Yellow appeals to me because I think it is a good cross between blue and Scarlet. White and yellow are probably your best bets for easy in/out. My guess is green is easier to get out than Scarlet. Purple allows a good tailgate experience without breaking the bank to get there.

I can't comment on the other lots that basically were only introduced after 2005.

I’ve been parking in the Scarlet for years. It’s a good tailgating lot for family stuff (kids, grandparents etc). It’s also good when the weather is nasty because it’s paved, and is a great in/out when you don’t tailgate (and arrive 15 minutes before kickoff). But, as others mentioned, if you’re looking to rage it’s probably a bit too chilled for that. Good luck

Over the last few years, there has been another plus for the Scarlet lot ... our tailgate group always has unspoken for tickets (spares), and without fail we are able to go out at half time for an adult beverage and make it back easily for second half action.

Haha - We’re the same

I plan on doing Scarlet next year if Greg is hired. Going to be interesting because I have like 30 people who will be coming to my tailgates and we are talking about taking over that one popular spot - forget who’s it is and what they calls their tailgate. But we have no problem getting to the lot at 3AM or whenever is needed to reserve it.

Shit might hit the fan but such is life.

I plan on doing Scarlet next year if Greg is hired. Going to be interesting because I have like 30 people who will be coming to my tailgates and we are talking about taking over that one popular spot - forget who’s it is and what they calls their tailgate. But we have no problem getting to the lot at 3AM or whenever is needed to reserve it.

Heh, heh, heh! There is lots of space you can choose from in Scarlet at 3AM. But the Island is one place you won't be getting. That I promise.

Heh, heh, heh! There is lots of space you can choose from in Scarlet at 3AM. But the Island is one place you won't be getting. That I promise.
images

Last edited:
Love a Scarlet Lot Spot battle...

One of my favorite tailgating memories dates back to my junior year of college, fall of 2005. Was out all night partying and decided to camp out in the purple lot. We convinced a sober friend to drive us to the lot around 3:30am while holding our arms out of the back windows up on the roof to secure an inflated air mattress on the roof of the car. We then put the mattress down in our usual spot and passed out. When our usual crew arrived around 6am, they thought homeless people were sleeping in their spot.

Also camped in the blue lot the night before the Louisville Game in 06. Set up a tent, made a bonfire around 9 pm. Woke up in the middle of the night because there was a herd of deer running into our stuff. Got up at 4:30 am and started the best Rutgers Day of my life.

One of my favorite tailgating memories dates back to my junior year of college, fall of 2005. Was out all night partying and decided to camp out in the purple lot. We convinced a sober friend to drive us to the lot around 3:30am while holding our arms out of the back windows up on the roof to secure an inflated air mattress on the roof of the car. We then put the mattress down in our usual spot and passed out. When our usual crew arrived around 6am, they thought homeless people were sleeping in their spot.

Also camped in the blue lot the night before the Louisville Game in 06. Set up a tent, made a bonfire around 9 pm. Woke up in the middle of the night because there was a herd of deer running into our stuff. Got up at 4:30 am and started the best Rutgers Day of my life.

Full disclosure, I've always wanted to camp out in the Yellow lot.

It's surprising that there are so few people (none, really) who also believe this to be a good idea.

It's surprising that there are so few people (none, really) who also believe this to be a good idea.
If Schiano comes back, it may be time to get club seats again!

If Schiano comes back, it may be time to get club seats again!

My seats are fine.

I just always felt like a good overnight tailgate in the Yellow lot would be fun. Nobody does this.

Set up the canopies, build a nice fire, good food, good bourbon...

The joint needs some spirit.

Sounds great. I am SHOCKED Rutgers 2019 would allow...but if so, very cool.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Sounds great. I am SHOCKED Rutgers 2019 would allow...but if so, very cool.

Well, it's an interesting sort of "boundary test", right?

The Old Queens Island folks (I believe @mkollar is a member of that crew) typically land in the Scarlet lot at 3AM. So obviously the "Lots open 5 hours before kickoff" rule isn't an absolute. I've done 12 hour tailgates for night games with zero hassle by The Man. So yeah, it would be all about where they choose to draw the line, if at all.

Reactions: hiwater

The Old Queens Island folks (I believe @mkollar is a member of that crew) typically land in the Scarlet lot at 3AM. So obviously the "Lots open 5 hours before kickoff" rule isn't an absolute. I've done 12 hour tailgates for night games with zero hassle by The Man. So yeah, it would be all about where they choose to draw the line, if at all.

overnight camping area (tent City) in September? would definitely be there 1 game per year. Right now I could just see some RU police come by at midnight and kick you out....which would suck. But as you said...ya never know until you try lol.

I’m lucky enough to have a choice of lots and over the years have selected blue, yellow, green, scarlet.

Blue - a little too wild for me as I age (eg PSU night game a few years ago - nuts)

Green - wife loved it, used to park in the fenced in area, easy in & out. Grass - good. TOO MELLOW for me.

Yellow - As others mentioned, the perfect tailgating balance. Love it. Crappy when wet weather but favorite lot.

Scarlet - I’ve come full circle and it’s my lot of choice. There again the last few years. Easy in & out especially if you make the right onto River Rd on exit. Good tailgating, paved. @Skoolie, my kids are older now (4), but was quick parking if running late & obvious short walk to stadium. With kids sports & family stuff didn’t tailgate as much during kid years so quick access was key. Also, if I didn’t set up my tailgate, really enjoyed taking a walk to the other lots to visit friends and kids zone. One other key for efficiency, is to time your exit.....if it’s over, get out to the car before the masses and your out quick. Give it a try and see..you can always downgrade. My $.02 on the scarlet.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I used to do a sleep over tailgate several years in a row in Blue. No one will bother you. Last did it in 2014.

Great point on the space side. It was terribly cramped and "ding city".
Ding city? I have been in the Scarlet Lot since 1979, and I have never known anyone that got their car "dinged". We have a large group also

You must be very unlucky or you need to sober up before try to leave the lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkollar

Did you get a slice of pizza from a delivery boy with the same name as the HC?

Last edited:
Ding city? I have been in the Scarlet Lot since 1979, and I have never known anyone that got their car "dinged". We have a large group also

You must be very unlucky or you need to sober up before try to leave the lot.
Good for you. Its a very tight lot with marked spaces unlike being on the ground and able to spread out and open a truck door without whacking or getting whacked.

Go ahead now. Teed you up for some more cracks with the whack comments.

Reactions: hiwater

Agreed. The “Lots open 5 hours before kickoff” rule is only based on when the cones are put up. Usually that is at 6AM. Police and parking staff are as professional and courteous as you are to them. Build relationships with them, let them know you are a mature adult who can be trusted to abide by rules and they will respect you being there early.

We get into Scarlet early for the simple reason that we mostly pull 90 hour weeks in a variety of jobs. Being able to set up and kick back for a relaxing time before a game is just a way to rest 7 times a year, regardless of kickoff time.

To skoolie’s Q, tailgating in any lot is what you make of it. Friends of Frank in Yellow kick serious tail every game. But look at what they each bring to make the event. There are some catering services that could not compete. We’re there to have a good time among friends and enjoy the effort we’ve put into the setup.

ADVERTISEMENT