ADVERTISEMENT

Telling Stats From Last Night

FIJI'83

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2008
Shooting Percentage: Miami FG 49.1%; RU 37.3%. Free Throws: Miami 10/12; RU 4/4. Bench Scoring: Miami 6pts; RU 6 pts. But the most telling stat of all was Cam Spencer shooting only 1-10 from the field, no FTs and scoring a total of 3 points. And he is suppose to make up in large part for the great scoring loss caused by the Harper & Baker departures. If Cam continues to underperform to this extent as the competition level increases, our season is doomed; PM or no PM.

Jury still out on Cam for sure (I mentioned this in Rider game thread) but I'm expecting him 1) to be more settled when/if Mulcahy returns and he plays as a more natural SG than the heavy combo guard role he's taken on without PM and 2) a few more games at real Div-1 level pace.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I see Cam a huge beneficiary in a 3 man game, with proper spacing of Cam, Paul and Cliff. We saw a bit of 2 man action vs Rider with Cam and Cliff where the defender made the choice of helping Cliff and opening a space for Cam to get a good look.

Reactions: bowlgoal and cm_13
The 2 things Cam's bad games have in common are 1. Better comp and 2. Away from home.

Im hoping getting back to home against Indiana fixes Cam's issues and gets his confidence back up for the rest of the year. Defense want the issue last night. He had some wide open shots and he kept hitting the front rim.

If Cam hits 35% from 3 against UM and TU we 'd be undefeated.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Cam will be fine. He had an off night. He does a lot of things really well. We came apart at the seams down the stretch. Plenty of blame to share the last few minutes of a very winnable game against a more than decent team playing on their home court. They made big shots at key moments. We didn’t.

Shooting Percentage: Miami FG 49.1%; RU 37.3%. Free Throws: Miami 10/12; RU 4/4. Bench Scoring: Miami 6pts; RU 6 pts. But the most telling stat of all was Cam Spencer shooting only 1-10 from the field, no FTs and scoring a total of 3 points. And he is suppose to make up in large part for the great scoring loss caused by the Harper & Baker departures. If Cam continues to underperform to this extent as the competition level increases, our season is doomed; PM or no PM.
Miami field goal percentage inflated based on the number of fast break laups while Rutgers was shooting bricks in the last five minutes of the game.

I just added this to a different thread.. but fits "telling stats" fairly well:

Miami was called for 6 fouls in the entire game resulting in 4 free throws for RU.
In their prior 4 games, they were called for 18, 21, 8, and 18 fouls (the 8 was in a rout of St Francis by 79-56).

The previous 4 opponents shot 22, 23, 12, and 17 free throws (St Francis was the 12)

The opposition in the 4 games fouled 16, 12, 14, and 13 times, resulting in Miami FTs of 18, 12, 26, and 12.

In our game, Rutgers was called for 12 fouls, resulting in 12 FT's for Miami.

Anyone really watching that game.. ANYONE.. should have seen that Miami was getting away with a lot. But if you watch thinking the refs always see what they call and call everything they see.. that could make you doubt your own eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm_nj and RC71

Miami was called for 6 fouls in the entire game resulting in 4 free throws for RU.
In their prior 4 games, they were called for 18, 21, 8, and 18 fouls (the 8 was in a rout of St Francis by 79-56).

The previous 4 opponents shot 22, 23, 12, and 17 free throws (St Francis was the 12)

The opposition in the 4 games fouled 16, 12, 14, and 13 times, resulting in Miami FTs of 18, 12, 26, and 12.

Anyone really watching that game.. ANYONE.. should have seen that Miami was getting away with a lot. But if you catch thinking the refs always see what they call and call everything they see.. that could make you doubt your own eyes.
Miller was definitely fouled going for the layup on the breakaway at the very end of the 1st half. Bad no call...

Anyone really watching that game.. ANYONE.. should have seen that Miami was getting away with a lot. But if you catch thinking the refs always see what they call and call everything they see.. that could make you doubt your own eyes.
Interesting point about the lack of fouls called: RU took 67 shots, including 46 from 2-point range, and was only fouled 6 times all game by a team whose tallest player is 6’7. That must be some kind of modern day record for fewest fouls called against one team whose opponent took more than 45 2-pointers.

We have very little action towards the basket. We had a bunch of fade away shots. When you can't penetrate, you won't get any foul calls.

Reactions: bowlgoal
We have very little action towards the basket. We had a bunch of fade away shots. When you can't penetrate, you won't get any foul calls.
This sounds legit. Miami’s guards were penetrators. Much like Temples. Simpson is very young and has to be more crafty going to the hoop. He seems to get his ball swatted many times. Miller is the same. Im beginning to really understand why Pikiell goes after bigger guards. I think simpson improves as the year progresses but we could really use Paul. I’m not sure what to make of Cams penetrating ability? We need him in open space. He was bottled up the same way he was against Temple.

ADVERTISEMENT