ADVERTISEMENT

The 100 Best Universities in the World Today / Rutgers #32

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Some university rankings focus on factors unrelated to academic merit. Thus, some rankings of colleges and universities may give weight to attractiveness of campus, satisfaction of students and alumni, extracurricular benefits (such as top athletics programs), affordability of tuition, and expected income of graduates.

This is not such a ranking.

In contrast, if you are looking for a ranking with a focus on academic prestige, scholarly excellence, and sheer intellectual horsepower, then this is the ranking you want.

https://thebestschools.org/rankings/best-universities-world-today/

What's great about this ranking, is that the methodology used prevents "gaming" which has been the major flaw in the USNWR rankings forever. But one should still look at these rankings, which are based on research. Rutgers is a powerhouse in research and graduate programs. The university still needs to get the undergraduate school up in the rankings where is used to be, which was in the thirties. But again, this is a great ranking (#32 in the world) for us.

Reactions: bigmatt718
What's great about this ranking, is that the methodology used prevents "gaming" which has been the major flaw in the USNWR rankings forever. But one should still look at these rankings, which are based on research. Rutgers is a powerhouse in research and graduate programs. The university still needs to get the undergraduate school up in the rankings where is used to be, which was in the thirties. But again, this is a great ranking (#32 in the world) for us.
Highest ranked public University in the Northeast at #32. Pitt, Maryland and PSU all in the mid 40s, Cuse at #62, UConn, Temple and Delaware are N/A on the list.

While often discussed in terms of its athletic aspirations, Rutgers might just well still be a sleeping giant academically too. It is a gem for all of NJ, with plenty of potential for the future. Integrating the medical programs under Rutgers will prove to be a critically strategic piece for the institution's legacy.

This ranking serves to reaffirm what many have known is available right in the backyard.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I look at some of the schools on that list of 100 and wonder why Carnegie Mellon University a prestigious academic institution which does several hundred million dollars annually in sponsored research (AAU member University) did not make the list. MIT and Cal Tech did make the cut.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I look at some of the schools on that list of 100 and wonder why Carnegie Mellon University a prestigious academic institution which does several hundred million dollars annually in sponsored research (AAU member University) did not make the list. MIT and Cal Tech did make the cut.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Agreed. CMU not being on the list is an eyebrow raiser.

This is great, great publicity, and I don't see why we can't be a top-30 school in another few years. I'm delighted to see us above PSU, but a little mystified to see U Minn placed so high. I always thought they were a middling state flagship, well below schools like Texas and Urbana. I know they're huge, but I don't know of anything they're particularly good at. What am I missing here?

Highest ranked public University in the Northeast at #32. Pitt, Maryland and PSU all in the mid 40s, Cuse at #62, UConn, Temple and Delaware are N/A on the list.

First bit should be on advertisting everywhere.

I wonder, outside of their alumni, does anyone seriously consider the latter 3 on the level of the others, at least on the undergrad level?

This is great, great publicity, and I don't see why we can't be a top-30 school in another few years. I'm delighted to see us above PSU, but a little mystified to see U Minn placed so high. I always thought they were a middling state flagship, well below schools like Texas and Urbana. I know they're huge, but I don't know of anything they're particularly good at. What am I missing here?

U of Minnesota is quite a research powerhouse and does well under this ranking's methodology, and it is far from middling regardless. It is typically perceived behind Illinois but it's still top 25 public worthy. That said, I'm not aware of which fields it particularly excels at so I can't offer insight on that.

First bit should be on advertisting everywhere.

I wonder, outside of their alumni, does anyone seriously consider the latter 3 on the level of the others, at least on the undergrad level?

I'd say some self-loathing New Jerseyans think UDel and UConn might be on the same level, in some cases to justify why they've sent their kids there with a higher tuition bill.

I'd say some self-loathing New Jerseyans think UDel and UConn might be on the same level, in some cases to justify why they've sent their kids there with a higher tuition bill.

Agree- I should have said anyone paying attention lol

Agree- I should have said anyone paying attention lol
Not that I’m agreement with the self loathers but I can understand the Delaware thing but not UConn. That makes no sense to me.

Not that I’m agreement with the self loathers but I can understand the Delaware thing but not UConn. That makes no sense to me.

RU is a far more known institution than UDel. I think UDel is basically a message, like hey I left NJ but I am 10 minutes away from it. NYU or Columbia or UPenn sure, not UDel.

Reactions: RU MAN

It's interesting about perceptions... for me, the exact same statement above would have UConn and UDel switched.

URI is another one like the above, but perception wise maybe lower than those two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT