ADVERTISEMENT

The Book Is Out On Pikiell Amongst Big Ten Coaches And This Spells Trouble

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

If youve noticed, the last number of games as weve entered big ten play, coaches all have a similar strategy when playing us. Simply force us into playing a half court offense and then it’s a recipe for victory unless our players just play otherworldly one on one.

ill beat this horse til it has no more blood left but we simply do not run a consistent perpetual offense and are totally reliant upon getting buckets in transition and off turnovers. Coaches more than realize this now and have adjusted. Again, pike brings us a high floor but superrrrr low ceiling as ive said for 3/4 years at this point.

you guys can rip me all you want but it is a serious problem that in year 5 we still do not run an offense. Remember pike was in the american east for 11 years and only won the conference once despite his team finishing at or near the top multiple times. Because every coach knows how to beat him. Hes a good guy but a very very very very average basketball coach. We SUCKEDDDD for 30 years, but just because pike has made us look average doesnt mean hes a god send. Dont bury your bar because of where weve been and the incompetence and futility of our athletic department.

Teams stopped bothering throwing zone at us too because there is no one on the team other than young in half court who can consistently score against on the ball pressure

What about hiring an offensive guru as an assistant?
Pikes too loyal and too nice. I cant see him ever firing anyone. Has he ever fired anyone in his career? Serious question. Even at stony brook?

people are all worried about if he leaves. While I was hoping wed really just outperform ourselves and hed get a big opportunity and leave. We can do better despite what people think

Pikes too loyal and too nice. I cant see him ever firing anyone. Has he ever fired anyone in his career? Serious question. Even at stony brook?

people are all worried about if he leaves. While I was hoping wed really just outperform ourselves and hed get a big opportunity and leave. We can do better despite what people think

very dumb opinion.

Unfortunately your basketball intelligence is below average and it is on Pike but it has nothing to do with coaching or offense....most of it is rotation and removing Mulcahy from the lineup.

You can run any offense and eventually, an opponents defense forces a team's 4th or 5th options to beat you. Right now, opponents are focusing on where the ball gets to Harper and Baker and the defense of an opponent should slow down Harper and Baker. That forces us to go to option 3, 4 and 5.

Last year, option 3 was spacing well and find Yeboah who was camped in the corner for a 3.....you now have Mulcahy in that role. There's a drastically bigger difference between Yeboah as a threat from 3 OR, IF Yeboah decided to then drive, he was aggressive in attacking to score...instead you have a pass-first, non aggressive scoring wing/guard who is too unselfish....

Mulcahy had FOUR turnovers...none of them were because of great or even good Wisconsin defense....he had driving lanes.....didn't take them....he had floaters available in the lane.....didn't take them...instead he forces passes when every scouting report fully knows he wants to pass in the paint....that's on Mulcahy to score and look to score.

If you run that same set with Jaden Jones in Mulcahys spot for 27 minutes on pick and roll, there is no possible way you can come up with just 2 points, 4 turnovers and only 5 shot attempts.....even if Mulcahy decided to take 3 floaters and 1 mid range jumper in the lane, RU looks completely different.

Basketball is a very specific and detailed sport....the coaches don't get smarter or dumber from week to week or year to year.....the players and what they can or cannot do, change what a coach does.

This is not to say Harper 2-12 or others didn't play well. But kyk1827, this narrative on Pike is so far from Basketball reality, it's no even worth discussing. These cliche lines and discussing Stony Brook vs Vermont, as if you watched more than 2 games of Stony Brook is ridiculous...

These are correctable and reasonably fair to ask Pike to fix.....but there is no Yeboah spacing guy from 3 and to drive and Caleb just got off the bench a week ago....you are playing most of these games without Caleb and Yeboah and elevating Mulcahy into a role where he has to take what's given to him. If he doesn't take those shots, reduce his minutes and figure out how fast you can get someone in the Yeboah/corner 3/pick and roll position.

I can guarantee you, if you make that switch and you have a legitimate scoring threat from 3, mid range and a passing threat like Jones projects to be, totally different ball game.

Can you get Jones up and running in a couple of weeks to add that dimension?? I sure hope so or Mulcahy needs to kick it into gear....I will take 4 of 10 from the field on floaters and 10 to 12 points on easy baskets, instead of 1 of 5 from the floor and 2 points and 4 turnovers from overpassing.....plus getting beat on backdoor cuts on defense....Mulcahy has to step forward....

If Pike can't get Mulcahy to take what the defense gives us, find another player that will....that's how I see it.....the high floor low ceiling nonsense....LMAO.....go grab a drink man and watch Basketball beyond RU games......

Unfortunately your basketball intelligence is below average and it is on Pike but it has nothing to do with coaching or offense....most of it is rotation and removing Mulcahy from the lineup.

You can run any offense and eventually, an opponents defense forces a team's 4th or 5th options to beat you. Right now, opponents are focusing on where the ball gets to Harper and Baker and the defense of an opponent should slow down Harper and Baker. That forces us to go to option 3, 4 and 5.

Last year, option 3 was spacing well and find Yeboah who was camped in the corner for a 3.....you now have Mulcahy in that role. There's a drastically bigger difference between Yeboah as a threat from 3 OR, IF Yeboah decided to then drive, he was aggressive in attacking to score...instead you have a pass-first, non aggressive scoring wing/guard who is too unselfish....

Mulcahy had FOUR turnovers...none of them were because of great or even good Wisconsin defense....he had driving lanes.....didn't take them....he had floaters available in the lane.....didn't take them...instead he forces passes when every scouting report fully knows he wants to pass in the paint....that's on Mulcahy to score and look to score.

If you run that same set with Jaden Jones in Mulcahys spot for 27 minutes on pick and roll, there is no possible way you can come up with just 2 points, 4 turnovers and only 5 shot attempts.....even if Mulcahy decided to take 3 floaters and 1 mid range jumper in the lane, RU looks completely different.

Basketball is a very specific and detailed sport....the coaches don't get smarter or dumber from week to week or year to year.....the players and what they can or cannot do, change what a coach does.

This is not to say Harper 2-12 or others didn't play well. But kyk1827, this narrative on Pike is so far from Basketball reality, it's no even worth discussing. These cliche lines and discussing Stony Brook vs Vermont, as if you watched more than 2 games of Stony Brook is ridiculous...

These are correctable and reasonably fair to ask Pike to fix.....but there is no Yeboah spacing guy from 3 and to drive and Caleb just got off the bench a week ago....you are playing most of these games without Caleb and Yeboah and elevating Mulcahy into a role where he has to take what's given to him. If he doesn't take those shots, reduce his minutes and figure out how fast you can get someone in the Yeboah/corner 3/pick and roll position.

I can guarantee you, if you make that switch and you have a legitimate scoring threat from 3, mid range and a passing threat like Jones projects to be, totally different ball game.

Can you get Jones up and running in a couple of weeks to add that dimension?? I sure hope so or Mulcahy needs to kick it into gear....I will take 4 of 10 from the field on floaters and 10 to 12 points on easy baskets, instead of 1 of 5 from the floor and 2 points and 4 turnovers from overpassing.....plus getting beat on backdoor cuts on defense....Mulcahy has to step forward....

If Pike can't get Mulcahy to take what the defense gives us, find another player that will....that's how I see it.....the high floor low ceiling nonsense....LMAO.....go grab a drink man and watch Basketball beyond RU games......
Lol

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Why can a team take away our best 1-2 options, but the teams we play rely on their 1-2 options and they deliver?
I’ve said it a hundred times, if Harper isn’t one of the best wings in the league every night with 20 in the bank before the game starts....we’re average at best.
I don’t care if the opponent is “taking him away” B1G Ten all-stars score anyway.
Try and take away Ayo, he still beats you

Lack of motivation by several starters,playing with hustle in spurts settling for 25 foot forced jumpers? Not ready at start of games.
No real offense is being run and free throws are a comedy show.Alot of that is on Coaching .these are real fundamental problems before you worry about if "option 3" is hiiting shots.
Harper,Baker and Young were 7 out of 31.
Only Myles played hard.
Worrying about 3rd and 4th option is least of problems currently.
Should we get into recruiting next?
Kyk is right.Pike ceiling isnt high.

Reactions: ricdrul
We might not shoot well but we have excellent athletes.
There’s not a reason on earth we should look like a Chinese fire drill on basically every possession.
It’s astonishing to me Harper can’t even get a timed up, step into it look.

A big issue right now is the spacing is messed up because teams have scouted us and are are sagging off of Harper and geo away from the basket. Until they get their range back with good percentage; the half court spacing is going to be out of whack. It’s clear that Ron has no push off his foot ...his form which was perfect pre-injury is a disaster now with all arms. Geo has been that way all year

Jacob has stepped up to score; but geo and Harper aren’t close to 100% now Mathis is in a major funk.

Reactions: SirScarlet
A big issue right now is the spacing is messed up because teams have scouted us and are are sagging off of Harper and geo away from the basket. Until they get their range back with good percentage; the half court spacing is going to be out of whack. It’s clear that Ron has no push off his foot ...his form which was perfect pre-injury is a disaster now with all arms. Geo has been that way all year

Jacob has stepped up to score; but geo and Harper aren’t close to 100% now Mathis is in a major funk.
JR missed only one game and we just had a long layoff....I’m not buying he’s hurt

The offense looked good when guys were hitting shots early in the season.

I do agree with Hawk here on Mulcahy, can’t play 4 on 5 on O. Hurts the team. Needs to sit and watch a bit from the bench. Our upper class leaders Geo, Harper, and Mathis are in a funk and have disappeared which is the main reason for the wheels coming off.

And I will admit, I thought Palmqvist was going to step in and put up Yeboah’s #s. He has length, kept hearing how athletic he was, and most importantly what a good shooter he is. But he needs to develop and not having the 10 non Conf games to have that game where the light bulb turns on didn’t happen.

Hopefully, Pike makes a few lineup adjustments and more importantly the guys relax and stop thinking too much and shoot and just play good team ball

Why can a team take away our best 1-2 options, but the teams we play rely on their 1-2 options and they deliver?
I’ve said it a hundred times, if Harper isn’t one of the best wings in the league every night with 20 in the bank before the game starts....we’re average at best.
I don’t care if the opponent is “taking him away” B1G Ten all-stars score anyway.
Bingo. Our leaders have disappeared.

I don't know what games you have watched this year....Trice had 13 points....Davison had his points...When they overplayed Davison, Potter got a dunk or open looks...We defended Wisconsin well, which is why we held them to 60 points...Wisconsin is a balanced attack that doesn't rely on 2 players.

Any good B1G team has 4 to 5 scoring threats....Garza didn't beat RU 2 weeks ago, their 5th option Keegan Bradley did with 14 points....Not Weiskamp, Frederick who were under double figures.

The faster Mulcahy starts shooting and driving to score and get fouled and has the goal to attack, the faster RU gets better....you cannot win at high level basketball and play 4 or 3 on 5 offense....you will not beat good teams without balanced abilities to score.

Reactions: Unionst
Think Pike is going to have to start hurting some feelings and sitting guys not consistent on defense and offense. Pike shortened the rotation but one or two players need more time on the bench and add one or two players from the bench until the offense gets it going back again.

Thought RU defense played well enough to win this game but we didn’t make open shots and when you don’t do that don’t even bother looking for a whistle when you drive into the paint and get rocked in this league. Not going to happen.

Shots need to be made. Ron is off and no one else is stepping up to give us the needed scoring. Too many empty possessions. That being said, Jacob plays hard all day, RHJ drove to the basket more, Cliff gave good mins and Myles had good body language and effort today.

No one feels sorry for you in this league and our team needs to wake TFU.

GO RU

Bingo! I knew we would miss Yeboah this year and sadly it has come to fruition. In the start of B1G play Ron was confident and hot and was knocking down three's and elbow jumpers. He's cooled off maybe based on his ankle not fully recovered, or just lost his confidence. But Hawk you're absolutely right. I don't know what Pike or Karl or Brandin need to say to Paul, but when he's open he needs to shoot. How many times was he within six feet from the basket and just looked to pass? On his missed threes (I think 3 of them) he didn't look confident at all. If Yeboah's there he knocks down at least two of them and forces Wisconsin to play honestly there.

If Paul is talked to by the coaches and still performs the same with with unselfish, but really afraid to shoot, then limit his minutes.

I know people may not want to talk about, but ever since Caleb McConnell came back into the rotation the team's chemistry has been really off and not to blame him but our losing streak and poor play began when he stepped back on the court.

Reactions: Doteman
First 6 games / 24:22 minutes @ OSU 48-32 lead)

Ron Harper FG 54-90 3pt 21-40 / FG 7-12 3pt 4-6 (61-102 59.8%., 25-46 54.3%)
Jacob Young FG 37-77 3pt 6-14 / FG 3-6 3pt 1-3 (40-83, 7-17)
Montez Mathis FG 31-74 3pt 6-24 / FG 3-5 3pt 1-2 (34-79, 7-26)
Myles Johnson FG 22-35 / 0-1 (22-36)
Paul Mulcahy FG 11-24 3pt 1-6 / FG 2-4 3pt 1-2 (13-28, 2-8)
Geo Baker FG 7-20 3pt 3-10 / FG 3-7 3pt 2-3 (10-27 37%, 5-13 38.4%)

15:38 minutes @ OSU 20-48 / last 5 games
1-8 3pt 0-4 / Ron Harper FG 17-52 3pt 5-21 (18-60 30%, 5-25 20%),
1-1 / Jacob Young FG 33-69 3pt 5-14 (34-70, 5-14)
2-5 3pt 1-2 / Montez Mathis FG 19-46 3pt 9-14 (21-51, 10-16)
1-1 / Myles Johnson FG 16-29 (17-30)
0-0 / Paul Mulcahy FG 12-28 3pt 4-11
0-5 3pt 0-3 / Geo Baker FG 21-53 3pt 3-20 (21-58 36.2%, 3-23 13%)

Chemistry is fractured since OSU game, bad shooting, less assists
15:38 OSU, Purdue, Iowa, Tez was a bright spot and shot 16-32, 3pt 8-11, last 3 games, Tez has shot 5-19, 2-5. Something is going on there.
Myles, JY, Tez aren't the problems,
Glad Caleb and Cliff are back.
Paul needs to be more of an option on offense, but was consistent first 6(6-0) and last 6(1-5).
Geo needs to come off the bench, stop shooting threes, and less minutes.

**There is a story behind Ron Harper Jr's slump and it started during the first OSU game, 2nd half, first 4 minutes scores 8 pts, 2 3s(3-3,2-2), last 15:38(1-8,0-4) been ice cold since OSU, starting to question if sitting out Purdue and slump was something other than the ankle. I can't believe 6 games in and 24 minutes into OSU, he is shooting 60% FG and 54% from 3, and magically becomes a 30% FG shooter and 20% from 3 since. 162 pts scored 6 games 24 minutes(25 pts/gm) and only 43 pts scored in 4 games 16 minutes (9.5 pts) since.**

Last edited:
Reactions: RU MAN
If youve noticed, the last number of games as weve entered big ten play, coaches all have a similar strategy when playing us. Simply force us into playing a half court offense and then it’s a recipe for victory unless our players just play otherworldly one on one.

ill beat this horse til it has no more blood left but we simply do not run a consistent perpetual offense and are totally reliant upon getting buckets in transition and off turnovers. Coaches more than realize this now and have adjusted. Again, pike brings us a high floor but superrrrr low ceiling as ive said for 3/4 years at this point.

you guys can rip me all you want but it is a serious problem that in year 5 we still do not run an offense. Remember pike was in the american east for 11 years and only won the conference once despite his team finishing at or near the top multiple times. Because every coach knows how to beat him. Hes a good guy but a very very very very average basketball coach. We SUCKEDDDD for 30 years, but just because pike has made us look average doesnt mean hes a god send. Dont bury your bar because of where weve been and the incompetence and futility of our athletic department.

Eddie Jordan is an elite offensive coach and a Rutgers alum. Maybe they hire him?

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

Agree with you 100% as you can see from the other thread I started and what I don't understand is he has two assistant coaches who are supposed to be top notch assistants and guards who don't seem to add anything to this lack of offense; NO BACK screens off the ball, terrible spacing, 4 guys just standing around and watching the guy dribble the ball, etc, etc

Reactions: Doteman
I don't know what games you have watched this year....Trice had 13 points....Davison had his points...When they overplayed Davison, Potter got a dunk or open looks...We defended Wisconsin well, which is why we held them to 60 points...Wisconsin is a balanced attack that doesn't rely on 2 players.

Any good B1G team has 4 to 5 scoring threats....Garza didn't beat RU 2 weeks ago, their 5th option Keegan Bradley did with 14 points....Not Weiskamp, Frederick who were under double figures.

The faster Mulcahy starts shooting and driving to score and get fouled and has the goal to attack, the faster RU gets better....you cannot win at high level basketball and play 4 or 3 on 5 offense....you will not beat good teams without balanced abilities to score.
Paul taking 4 floaters and few pull-ups will not replace your best player disappearing, vanishing!
A sub par game, sure....MIA you lose

JR missed only one game and we just had a long layoff....I’m not buying he’s hurt

Strongly suggest rewatching the last few games ...and watch his lack of elevation when he jumps and how much his jumper is all arms now.

Notice we have not tried him once on a back cut for an alley -oop for the last five games ?

You really have not watched college basketball, over the years . Coach K’s Duke teams or Calipari’s Memphis and Kentucky teams all won on ball screen offense ,that ‘s it. Their great athletes were relied upon him to break down the defender , or ball screen them to death with dish outs for the three ball. I guess you call that not running an offense . What I do not like is not playing inside out and putting Myles and Ron on the block , occasionally coming up on ball screens ( Myles doesn’t need to do it every time) , and letting the offense go through the post where Myles can take it , or his great passing skills can hit cutters or guys ready to catch and shoot. It has become mental. Geo and Ron went to be line 0 times last night and it is not because of Pike’s offense. Sometimes your players or stars have to stop laying like their heads are up their ass and play. Geo has to use ball screens and go to the hole where he will get fouled . Ron has to go to the block and offense rebound where he will get fouled instead of being lazy and hanging out on the perimeter. Simp,e adjustment.

Reactions: Groz
Strongly suggest rewatching the last few games ...and watch his lack of elevation when he jumps and how much his jumper is all arms now.

Notice we have not tried him once on a back cut for an alley -oop for the last five games ?
Replace him with a healthy player then.
If he’s that compromised he hurts the team.

Replace him with a healthy player then.
If he’s that compromised he hurts the team.

That’s my question here too. There was a period where geo was so negative on defense (Which he did better with yesterday ) that I think he needed to be shut down

I think pike would have if we had a normal season with 4-5 more games Cupcakes to get the frosh on the floor...but with the schedule this year ...Caleb and cliff our...we would be throwing up sire losses if we played without geo, Ron, Caleb and cliff . 70% geo and Ron Gave is a chance.

Hindsight it might have been better to shut them down ...but they are warriors and want to be out there with their teammates

You really have not watched college basketball, over the years . Coach K’s Duke teams or Calipari’s Memphis and Kentucky teams all won on ball screen offense ,that ‘s it. Their great athletes were relied upon him to break down the defender , or ball screen them to death with dish outs for the three ball. I guess you call that not running an offense . What I do not like is not playing inside out and putting Myles and Ron on the block , occasionally coming up on ball screens ( Myles doesn’t need to do it every time) , and letting the offense go through the post where Myles can take it , or his great passing skills can hit cutters or guys ready to catch and shoot. It has become mental. Geo and Ron went to be line 0 times last night and it is not because of Pike’s offense. Sometimes your players or stars have to stop laying like their heads are up their ass and play. Geo has to use ball screens and go to the hole where he will get fouled . Ron has to go to the block and offense rebound where he will get fouled instead of being lazy and hanging out on the perimeter. Simp,e adjustment.
I stopped reading after the first couple sentences. You kind of just made my point. You cannot expect to play one on one basketball and win games unless you have lottery picks up and down your roster

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
We are over thinking things. It comes down to foul shooting mostly. This team can win ugly if it makes foul shots. Pike has to get these guys to buy in to being disciplined and mentally focused at the line. It’s costing us the difference in scoring in most of our losses or at least contributes to the edge in momentum. Mathis, Harper, Geo, Young and Mulcahy absolutely cannot continue to choke at the foul line. We’d have at least 2-4 more wins by now.

Mulcahy is overmatched a lot out there. He’s not a great shooter and he’s too slow and not athletic enough to create his own shot in the B1G. He hustles, plays smart. and could be a crowd favorite but he needs to play on a good team to be effective at this level, always as the 4th or 5th option. We are not a good team right now and his deficiencies are magnified.

I stopped reading after the first couple sentences. You kind of just made my point. You cannot expect to play one on one basketball and win games unless you have lottery picks up and down your roster
They didn’t have lottery picks on Duke 10 years ago and Cal was at Memphis with Derrick Rose and nobody else. That is their offense , ball screen , penetrate to the hole or dish to the open man. They haven’t changed in 15-20 years. They were doing it with good complimentary players not lottery picks. Do you not see it.

Mulcahy is overmatched a lot out there. He’s not a great shooter and he’s too slow and not athletic enough to create his own shot in the B1G. He hustles, plays smart. and could be a crowd favorite but he needs to play on a good team to be effective at this level, always as the 4th or 5th option. We are not a good team right now and his deficiencies are magnified.

Paul is a role player but hardly the reason we are losing. When Montez Mathis routinely misses layups and front ends of one and ones, it has a far greater impact. Now Geo is missing layups and foul shots and Ron has gotten lazy which has led to his decline in play. The amount of layups these guys miss is astounding and for Mathis and Geo to be so poor at the line; it’s inexcusable. Be disciplined and focus.

Reactions: hiwater
They didn’t have lottery picks on Duke 10 years ago and Cal was at Memphis with Derrick Rose and nobody else. That is their offense , ball screen , penetrate to the hole or dish to the open man. They haven’t changed in 15-20 years. They were doing it with good complimentary players not lottery picks. Do you not see it.
Hold up. You realize other than the 2008 draft duke has had players drafted every single draft since 1997, right?

cal had 10 players drafted while at memphis.

bad take here by you. Nba draft picks arent complimentary players. Whos RU’s best player in the 21st century? Quincy Douby. Call had 5 players drafted higher than him while at memphis.

duke since ‘97? Has had 27 players drafted in the top 20 lol. Thats alot of complimentary players.

when pike recruits like that i wont complain about not running an offense

Hold up. You realize other than the 2008 draft duke has had players drafted every single draft since 1997, right?

bad take here by you
He’s been running the dribble drive motion offense since 2005. It’s not a secret. There were no lottery picks on that team and they won 33 games.

bad take here by you. Nba draft picks arent complimentary players. Whos RU’s best player in the 21st century? Quincy Douby. Call had 5 players drafted higher than him while at memphis.

duke since ‘97? Has had 27 players drafted in the top 20 lol. Thats alot of complimentary players.

when pike recruits like that i wont complain about not running an offense
You just got caught and you changed the argument. Just admit that the so called best coaches in the land run nothing more than a ball screen offense ( no great play calls ) and that is a good offense but Pike running ball screen withJacob , who is hard to defend or Geo last year , with his health and his lift and increased speed , is a bad offense. Listen he doesn’t runguys around screens all day like Painter , who is phenomenal for what he gets out of Purdue players, but stop with the nonsense about no offense. Good offense is finding the mismatch and exploiting it.

Reactions: hiwater
ADVERTISEMENT