ADVERTISEMENT

The Book Is Out On Pikiell Amongst Big Ten Coaches And This Spells Trouble

I dont read posts past like 1-2 sentences that claim we run an offense tbh. So just find me clips, thats all. Again 5 years, all im asking for is a 4 minute clip in over 100 games

Why are you asking for something that you are saying doesn't exist....LOL

OK, RU doesn't run any offense....if you have "suggestions " in the B1G on what offense is run without a screen being set, is insanity....how about @kyk1827 ....you show us what team in the B1G runs this dynamic offense you claim doesn't exist.

I would help you out, but I'm relaxing watching some Chiefs Browns mixed with some NBA and college hoops between commercials.

If you are asking for a teams film where in a consecutive 4 minute stretch of half court offense, it's virtually impossible....

A) teams make shots (easier to get back on defense when a team makes shots and gets to matchup after a made basket.

B) Teams get fouled and go to the FT line....(in theory, getting fouled should count as good offense, it means you had an advantage on offense OR you have driven to the basket or gotten fouled.

C) Are you seeing a man defense or zone.....in man offense, any reasonable coach defending man offense, knows the goal of what you want to accomplish.....

I will help you a 2nd time....if you can answer this simple question for us newbies....should you're "running an offense", automatically get an open shot for your best player OR should it generate an open shot by moving the ball until you get a favorable matchup??

I watch a LOT of basketball....more than I admit....and Purdue runs good offense, probably the best in the B1G....and even Matt Painter abandoned his running an offense last year at the RAC....he stopped running an offense because our defense was BETTER than his offense.

So, what did Painter do after falling behind by double digits at the RAC last year, he abandoned his offense and isolated a grad transfer Jahad Proctor, when he was guarded by freshman Paul Mulcahy....after Proctor posted up Mulcahy and scored on the baseline, he ran the same iso 4 straight possessions and Proctor went to work against the weakest of the 5 defenders.....

Again, this is not a personal attack but basketball wise, you're not aware of anything you are watching game to game, possession to possession....

For the record, Proctor came into last years game at the RAC at around 5PPG with Purdue coming off a 20PPG average at his prior mid major...Painter went straight to the well, until Pike switched the defense but by that point, a player is now in rhythm and making shots....now he's confident he can score on anyone....Proctor left the game scoring 18 vs RU....because he took what the defense gave Painter AND he was not scoring much as their 5th option within their offense.....

When Harper is hitting shots and is able to post up his defender and has the footspeed (health) and agility (ankle) to maneuver around a bigger defender, or overpowering a smaller defender, that is good "offense"....no different than Iowa running sets for Luka Garza or Purdue running action to get Trevion Williams a good angle to receive a pass in the post, in a spot that's favorable to him as an offensive player.....because he's also a good passer.

BUT, you want 4 minutes of game action without missed shots, no fast breaks, no steals, no wide open shots etc.....LOL.....I've already explained it....good coaches make your offense go to or give opportunities to your 4th or 5th option....(Mulcahy or Caleb now that he's back).....

Ask any coaching staff.....they will always say, if the 4th or 5th option beats you on offense, you tip your hat to your opponent.....last year, Mulcahy scored a few points per game because he was not part of the scouting report of opponents....he hasn't been scoring now, while playing a LOT of minutes.

If he takes what the defense presents to him in the lanes AND from 3, different ballgame....OR RU gets another player in that spot who can score....HINT....Caleb McConnell has been scoring since he returned....

I love how he thinks there’s a 4 minute clip of a basketball team running the same offense over and over. This isn’t football. They don’t just run the spread, pro style or option. Coaches call different sets. One possession they could be running a 3 around 2 for an open 3 point shot, the next set could be a 1-4 low into a pick and roll for a shot near the basket. There’s no perpetual offensive scheme.

I love how he thinks there’s a 4 minute clip of a basketball team running the same offense over and over. This isn’t football. They don’t just run the spread, pro style or option. Coaches call different sets. One possession they could be running a 3 around 2 for an open 3 point shot, the next set could be a 1-4 low into a pick and roll for a shot near the basket. There’s no perpetual offensive scheme.
Correct ; college coaches don’t run offense over and over again. You see this in high school and it’s easy to scout and play against once you get it down . Most coaches run offense through quick hitters and action that let the players read the defense .
Hawk gave a geat example of Purdue . Painter runs the best stuff in the big ten bar none, but they don’t run continuity at all. They run very complex individual sets with various counters . I guess you can blame Pike on this as our offense isn’t very complex but we do run various actions that I can easily pick out such as European ball screen, horns and screen the screener.
Our problem is the players hold the ball too long sometimes , aren’t consistent jump shooters and sometimes don’t react well when the d stops our initial look. I would blame that on both the staff and players but making jump shots and getting to the line cures everything .

Then ...tbh, I’m done talking with you

Pretty hypocritical that you expect everyone to read completely read your point, but you don’t consider any other points beyond “1-2 sentences”

People see through the “look at me agenda “...and it’s a shame, because the guy actually makes some good points and has some good stuff when he isn’t trying to self promote himself ....
Haha this isnt self promotion ive been saying this same line for 4 years

Haha, im talking about 4 minutes where the team gets in a half court set. If in those 4 mins the team gets a transition bucket then im not gonna say thats not an offense lol. Did you watch the iowa game today? That’s an offense that can be installed.

The amount of lobs we throw is unbelievable. We certainly hit our fair share but we get very aau like with some of them

I just hate that we don’t value the ball/possessions in a year where every possession matters with the limited OOC schedule. Especially against the slate of teams we just went up against.

Haha, im talking about 4 minutes where the team gets in a half court set. If in those 4 mins the team gets a transition bucket then im not gonna say thats not an offense lol. Did you watch the iowa game today? That’s an offense that can be installed.
Missed it. I was watching Kansas City-Cleveland but I’ve seen the sets they run. McCaffrey does a great job of recruiting to what he wants to run as well. A point guard that is an excellent distributor, a dominant big man and some knockdown shooters that will kill you if you try to help out to much on the drives by the point guard or the lobs inside. Since Garza is so good, they play a lot of 4 around 1. That’s gives them excellent floor spacing.

We can’t hit the knock down shots right now so I’m not sure if that would help. They were also getting killed on the glass and on points in the paint while Cliff was out. 4 around 1 won’t improve that. They need to get more high percentage shots around the basket, get to the line more and crash the boards as a team. I think more ball screens and dribble penetration is the way to go. They just need to finish strong. Montez goes up to the basket weak and Paul looks to dish it for a corner 3 too quickly. Hopefully, Pike points that out in film work. Big Ten basketball is very physical. They need to match the opposition’s physicality going to the rim. That’s one thing Jacob Young has been doing recently.

Why are you asking for something that you are saying doesn't exist....LOL

OK, RU doesn't run any offense....if you have "suggestions " in the B1G on what offense is run without a screen being set, is insanity....how about @kyk1827 ....you show us what team in the B1G runs this dynamic offense you claim doesn't exist.

I would help you out, but I'm relaxing watching some Chiefs Browns mixed with some NBA and college hoops between commercials.

If you are asking for a teams film where in a consecutive 4 minute stretch of half court offense, it's virtually impossible....

A) teams make shots (easier to get back on defense when a team makes shots and gets to matchup after a made basket.

B) Teams get fouled and go to the FT line....(in theory, getting fouled should count as good offense, it means you had an advantage on offense OR you have driven to the basket or gotten fouled.

C) Are you seeing a man defense or zone.....in man offense, any reasonable coach defending man offense, knows the goal of what you want to accomplish.....

I will help you a 2nd time....if you can answer this simple question for us newbies....should you're "running an offense", automatically get an open shot for your best player OR should it generate an open shot by moving the ball until you get a favorable matchup??

I watch a LOT of basketball....more than I admit....and Purdue runs good offense, probably the best in the B1G....and even Matt Painter abandoned his running an offense last year at the RAC....he stopped running an offense because our defense was BETTER than his offense.

So, what did Painter do after falling behind by double digits at the RAC last year, he abandoned his offense and isolated a grad transfer Jahad Proctor, when he was guarded by freshman Paul Mulcahy....after Proctor posted up Mulcahy and scored on the baseline, he ran the same iso 4 straight possessions and Proctor went to work against the weakest of the 5 defenders.....

Again, this is not a personal attack but basketball wise, you're not aware of anything you are watching game to game, possession to possession....

For the record, Proctor came into last years game at the RAC at around 5PPG with Purdue coming off a 20PPG average at his prior mid major...Painter went straight to the well, until Pike switched the defense but by that point, a player is now in rhythm and making shots....now he's confident he can score on anyone....Proctor left the game scoring 18 vs

Ask any coaching staff.....they will always say, if the 4th or 5th option beats you on offense, you tip your hat to your opponent.....last year, Mulcahy scored a few points per game because he was not part of the scouting report of opponents....he hasn't been scoring now, while playing a LOT of minutes.

If he takes what the defense presents to him in the lanes AND from 3, different ballgame....OR RU gets another player in that spot who can score....HINT....Caleb McConnell has been scoring since he returned....

This begs the question, why is Mulcahy logging so many minutes without being very productive?

OPs shtick is wait for an opportunity to rip Pike because when he started watching Rutgers basketball 5 years ago he decided Pike was a bad coach. He has been on a crusade ever since to prove himself right.
Yeah we suck right now but OP would never be as critical of Schiano who probably has the same floor and ceiling.

People ITT getting butthurt for getting hit with the truth.

Pike sucks, the players respond to the crowd at the RAC, not Pikes coaching

OPs shtick is wait for an opportunity to rip Pike because when he started watching Rutgers basketball 5 years ago he decided Pike was a bad coach. He has been on a crusade ever since to prove himself right.
Yeah we suck right now but OP would never be as critical of Schiano who probably has the same floor and ceiling.
lol. Again as youve said ive had the same
Position on pike for 5 years, im not opportunist with my belief its been the same for years. The problems remain the same.

Regarding GS, its alot easier to get competitive and middle of the pack in bball than football. All it takes is literally 1 MAYBE 2 players in bball. But GS is better no doubt, thats not even worth wasting time arguing lol

ADVERTISEMENT