ADVERTISEMENT

The first 1/3 of the B1G basketball season, as I see it

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
Northwestern has been a pleasant surprise, but can they maintain that level of success once B1G play starts? If their guards continue to play well, then the answer is yes.

Minnesota is a complete mess, but don't tell their fans. Their fans believe everyone else is crap. 🤣 Expect more of the same.

Michigan has talent but is a clusterf*ck led by an *sshole of a coach. With that much talent, they can't continue to fail. Expect improvement, but not B1G championship caliber.

Michigan State has been trapped in average play for the last few years. No one can explain why the talent hasn't performed better. Like UM, MSU will underachieve again.

Penn State is much better than the naysayers (entitled B1G teams/fans), and they can't handle the possibility PSU may finish in the upper half of the B1G. Expect PSU to be in the top half of the B1G

Wisconsin looks the part of a typical Badgers team, but it seems like smoke and mirrors. They remind you of Rutgers' teams of the past. Solid defensively but not consistent enough offensively.

Nebraska may be able to upset a team here and there, but they are precisely who we thought they were. NU is a collection of talent who don't play well together when facing similar or better talent.

Illinois, at least for this year, has taken on Nebraska's identity. Unlike Nebraska, Illinois can recover, which has to do with a good HC patrolling the sidelines. They will figure this out.

Ohio State has tons of talent, but it's still learning to play together. So, seeing OSU have two or three 'WTF' games is not out of the question. It couldn't happen to a better team.

Indiana is doing an Indiana thing. Bobby Knight is not walking through the door. When will the media stop kissing IU's *ss? They will hang around most of the season before they disappoint.

Iowa can score as usual, but the defense is worse than normal. They will be exposed by most of the B1G. IMO, I see Iowa as the best of the bottom half of the B1G.

Purdue is successful because they play to its potential. That's great for the B1G play but not for March Madness. They likely will finish at or near the top of the B1G unless B1G teams pressure PU guards.

Maryland is solid, but depth is an issue. If teams push the pace and play physically, Maryland may be in some trouble. The trouble is, I don't think too many teams in the B1G will figure it out in time.

Rutgers is doing Rutgers, They are playing great defense, but the offense may be better than some of our fans think. The offense is better because the defense is elite compared to other seasons. RU will surprise the B1G when the season ends.

When March arrives, this is how I see the B1G playing out. The upper half of the B1G contains teams like Purdue, Rutgers, Ohio State, Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan State. The middle pack will include Michigan, Penn State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana. Bringing up the rear will be Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

The B1G has 12 good teams and only 1 that is elite imo. There will be a lot of close games and a lot of home teams winning. Tiers as I see it:

Purdue
Indiana

Illinois
Rutgers
Iowa
Ohio St

Maryland
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Penn St

Michigan St
Michigan

Nebraska

Minnesota

Reactions: kt124
The B1G has 12 good teams and only 1 that is elite imo. There will be a lot of close games and a lot of home teams winning. Tiers as I see it:

Purdue
Indiana

Illinois
Rutgers
Iowa
Ohio St

Maryland
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Penn St

Michigan St
Michigan

Nebraska

Minnesota
Do you think Indiana is good and near the top of the B1G? I think they are an average team at best.

I feel this is Iowa's worse team in years. At least the other Iowa teams "tried to play" defense. This year's team does not attempt to stop anyone. It's all about the offense, and it's nowhere near as capable as previous teams.

Reactions: Rokodesh
We play Minnesota twice. Have to sweep. Won’t get any easier on the road.

Iowa shoots lights out but has the defense of Coppin State

Maryland Iowa back to back at home. 3 days stretch little rest will be a challenge but how we do in these 2 games will set the tone for me.

We should be 2-0 in B1G play right now

Reactions: Rokodesh and Kbee3
Indiana is not a top tier team, no matter how many “experts” jam it down your throat. They have 4-5* talent but are charmin soft.
And Woodson looks like a deer in the headlights. Like he’s missing some lightbulbs upstairs. 31-17 at Indiana. Basically 3-2. Hope they keep him a long time

Northwestern has been a pleasant surprise, but can they maintain that level of success once B1G play starts? If their guards continue to play well, then the answer is yes.

Minnesota is a complete mess, but don't tell their fans. Their fans believe everyone else is crap. 🤣 Expect more of the same.

Michigan has talent but is a clusterf*ck led by an *sshole of a coach. With that much talent, they can't continue to fail. Expect improvement, but not B1G championship caliber.

Michigan State has been trapped in average play for the last few years. No one can explain why the talent hasn't performed better. Like UM, MSU will underachieve again.

Penn State is much better than the naysayers (entitled B1G teams/fans), and they can't handle the possibility PSU may finish in the upper half of the B1G. Expect PSU to be in the top half of the B1G

Wisconsin looks the part of a typical Badgers team, but it seems like smoke and mirrors. They remind you of Rutgers' teams of the past. Solid defensively but not consistent enough offensively.

Nebraska may be able to upset a team here and there, but they are precisely who we thought they were. NU is a collection of talent who don't play well together when facing similar or better talent.

Illinois, at least for this year, has taken on Nebraska's identity. Unlike Nebraska, Illinois can recover, which has to do with a good HC patrolling the sidelines. They will figure this out.

Ohio State has tons of talent, but it's still learning to play together. So, seeing OSU have two or three 'WTF' games is not out of the question. It couldn't happen to a better team.

Indiana is doing an Indiana thing. Bobby Knight is not walking through the door. When will the media stop kissing IU's *ss? They will hang around most of the season before they disappoint.

Iowa can score as usual, but the defense is worse than normal. They will be exposed by most of the B1G. IMO, I see Iowa as the best of the bottom half of the B1G.

Purdue is successful because they play to its potential. That's great for the B1G play but not for March Madness. They likely will finish at or near the top of the B1G unless B1G teams pressure PU guards.

Maryland is solid, but depth is an issue. If teams push the pace and play physically, Maryland may be in some trouble. The trouble is, I don't think too many teams in the B1G will figure it out in time.

Rutgers is doing Rutgers, They are playing great defense, but the offense may be better than some of our fans think. The offense is better because the defense is elite compared to other seasons. RU will surprise the B1G when the season ends.

When March arrives, this is how I see the B1G playing out. The upper half of the B1G contains teams like Purdue, Rutgers, Ohio State, Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan State. The middle pack will include Michigan, Penn State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana. Bringing up the rear will be Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
No way Iowa will be a bottom tier team that scores more than 75 points a game and has Murray as a go to scorer.

No way Iowa will be a bottom tier team that scores more than 75 points a game and has Murray as a go to scorer.
Murray is hurt and you see the team's response against a bad opponent. B1G teams play defense and there are no solid guys outside of Murray who you fear. Also, who said Murray is healthy for the remainder of the season?

Reactions: shields
I don’t see Wisconsin winning the league or anything but they (really anyone but Minnesota/Nebraska) can beat anyone anywhere on any given night.

Not that those other two can’t also but they are obviously less of a threat

There is no final 4 team or possibly no elite 8 team in this conference. Bunch of good teams for which most will not make it to the second weekend as usual.
Purdue , albeit a good team, always peaks out too early.

Because we are one of the worst offensive team from a power conference.

The reality is if you tell me we will score 70 pp in our last 18 regular season games …we finish top 3 in big ten

How we do will be about how well we score the ball

How teams do in close game will be the biggest deciding factor on who dances from the conference.

I actually an hour ago googled the logistics of going to each of the 8 1st weekend sites. If we don’t win more than a 1/3 of close games we aren’t going anywhere.

And we are -3 right now …this is the one to watch

Reactions: bac2therac
There is no final 4 team or possibly no elite 8 team in this conference. Bunch of good teams for which most will not make it to the second weekend as usual.

Historically, other than the blue bloods or lighting in a bottle squads, it takes teams a few years to finally break through. This feels like the year for Purdue. Almost no team in the country can handle Eddy.

How can you or anyone say this? Are you saying none of these teams are capable of going on a 3 game winning streak?

There is parity (especially with the 3 point line). If these teams can make the tournament they are capable of making the elite 8

Reactions: TRU2RU and Scangg
Historically, other than the blue bloods or lighting in a bottle squads, it takes teams a few years to finally break through. This feels like the year for Purdue. Almost no team in the country can handle Eddy.
Guard play in the NCAA tournament ends up mattering the most.

2 things
1. Edey (and others) have a finite amount of energy. They can’t dominate for 2 hours. They can dominate for 15 minutes
2. If you put pressure on the perimeter getting the ball to Edey in the right spot is VERY difficult

Cliff dominates when the opponent puts light to no pressure on the perimeter and is silent when they do.

How can you or anyone say this? Are you saying none of these teams are capable of going on a 3 game winning streak?

There is parity (especially with the 3 point line). If these teams can make the tournament they are capable of making the elite 8
There is no specific team in the Big Ten that is a favorite to make the elite 8, but it is much more likely than not that at least one Big Ten team makes the elite 8.

Guard play in the NCAA tournament ends up mattering the most.

2 things
1. Edey (and others) have a finite amount of energy. They can’t dominate for 2 hours. They can dominate for 15 minutes
2. If you put pressure on the perimeter getting the ball to Edey in the right spot is VERY difficult

Cliff dominates when the opponent puts light to no pressure on the perimeter and is silent when they do.

I generally agree but Edey is a different animal. Purdue will end up no worse than a 4 seed and likely a 2. No mid major will have the size to compete with him, and he has learned to utterly dominate. I see Purdue cruising into the Sweet 16. At that point, you’re talking about winning 2 games to get to a Final Four. Edey also is now averaging over 31 minutes per game. I think Painter has done a great job developing him a bit more every year.

But, I could be wrong. I expect Cliff go out and dominate these non-P5 schools every game and he only does it like every 3 or 4 games.

Irony Phil is that we could be that team. Of we learn how to close during the season, we can go as far as our concentration and energy take us.

There is no specific team in the Big Ten that is a favorite to make the elite 8, but it is much more likely than not that at least one Big Ten team makes the elite 8.
Do you think there is any team you would take even money for the Elite 8?

I’d think as we approach March a team or 2 may emerge that would have more than a 50% chance. Who knows.
Without doing too much analysis, I’m guessing that at least the four #1 seeds once you know they are #1 seeds would have a >50% chance.

ADVERTISEMENT