ADVERTISEMENT

The Kenny Parker factor....

Ever think that is what happens when you recruit skinny DB's and WR's and undersized Linebackers and Linemen with the idea of bulking them up in some cases 50 to 60 lbs? Recruiting a bunch of developmental players does not guarantee they will have the required quickness or flexibility once the weigh gain occurs. Some of these guys are probably carrying weight that does not allow them to have the required movement skills. Naturally big/thick athletes are almost always going to better and RU rarely gets those types

I'm not talking about the Ohio State's, etc. Even programs that recruit at our level look faster than us.

In fairness to Parker, he can only work with the talent he is given. When we are bringing in borderline talent all the S&C work in the world is not going to turn them into elite players. How many times now, and this goes back to Flood as well, are the kids we are bringing in having us as their only FBS or P5 offer.
Its all about recruiting, even the Strength Coach is only as good as the players we bring in, he can add more muscle or make them more fit, but he cant teach them talent

Reactions: BlockR
Its all about recruiting, even the Strength Coach is only as good as the players we bring in, he can add more muscle or make them more fit, but he cant teach them talent
always comes down to the jimmies and Joes..
you either recruit them or you dont.

I wouldn't say it's all about recruiting, there are teams that win pretty consistently without great recruiting, but yes overall recruiting is the single biggest element of college football success.

Still when Parker first got here, he and Ash were definitely floating the idea that he was going to have a major impact. That the previous regime was small time, and the new regime was big time. These guys were going to make us a legit B1G time team.

And I know I'm being snarky, but that bravado sticks in my mind, and then bubbles to surface after games like Saturday.

Reactions: TM514 and miketd1
Weightlifting is overrated. It is not exercising the muscles the way it is used when you are playing football.
I bet none of the players on the 1869 winning team spent any time in the weight room.

I'm not talking about the Ohio State's, etc. Even programs that recruit at our level look faster than us.
“Speed kills. You can't teach speed. Everything else in the game can be taught, but speed is a gift from God.” - Al Davis

I didn’t realize that Kansas has been out recruiting us. You can say it’s about the talent when we get blown out by OSU, but not Kansas. That is 100% on coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT