ADVERTISEMENT

The last time . . .

RU finished that year 21-8, 10-6 in the Big East. They got a #6 seed and lost in the first round of the NCAAs to #11 Gonzaga, who in classic RU screw fashion, got to be at home. (Gonzaga went on to also upset #3 Miami at home in 2nd round).

RU finished that year 21-8, 10-6 in the Big East. They got a #6 seed and lost in the first round of the NCAAs to #11 Gonzaga, who in classic RU screw fashion, got to be at home. (Gonzaga went on to also upset #3 Miami at home in 2nd round).

While there are issues with giving the top 16 teams home court in the first round, it still was a lot fairer than letting schools bid for home court advantage. RU got hurt by that system repeatedly, and as I recall ended up being the team that played the most games as a higher seed on the lower seed's court - 2003 @ Georgia, 2004 @ Chattanooga (made worse by having a ton of injuries, including one in the BEast semis, and suiting up only 8 players, including 2 team managers), 2007 @ Michigan State, 2011 @ Louisiana Tech, and 2012 @ Gonzaga, plus 2008 @ Iowa playing Iowa State (not technically on the other team's home court, but pretty close).

While there are issues with giving the top 16 teams home court in the first round, it still was a lot fairer than letting schools bid for home court advantage. RU got hurt by that system repeatedly, and as I recall ended up being the team that played the most games as a higher seed on the lower seed's court - 2003 @ Georgia, 2004 @ Chattanooga (made worse by having a ton of injuries, including one in the BEast semis, and suiting up only 8 players, including 2 team managers), 2007 @ Michigan State, 2011 @ Louisiana Tech, and 2012 @ Gonzaga, plus 2008 @ Iowa playing Iowa State (not technically on the other team's home court, but pretty close).

Ah yes, if I remember correctly, the Chattanooga game was where a Chattanooga player was caught saying "she didn't even touch me" after the Refs called their millionth foul on RU.

ADVERTISEMENT