ADVERTISEMENT

The Legend of Saint Greg

Ok Shifty, How about in the immortal words of Henry Rollins and Black Flag.."Rise Above. We're gonna rise above!"

If you guys say - hey I know what Schiano can do and I'm ok with it. That's fine. But let's not pretend like Schiano is a slam dunk hire. He is not. There are a lot of risks associated with it, mainly, if we get it wrong - we are stuck with it for a long long time. I'm ok with that risk only because we need stability. BUT, it is not a no-brainer. Far from it.
Good summary of the reality of the situation.

History may repeat itself, right? Isn't that your argument? That Schiano can repeat what he did? So, why can't history of not winning the conference because he would lose to good coaches not repeat too? I distinctly remember you slamming me after we got our arses handed to us by Brian Kelly on the opening game of the 2009 season. I said all hope is not lost - be positive and YOU essentially told me to STFU cause you were so disappointed with Schiano and didn't think he would ever get over the hump - as far as winning championships. That was the Big East where he feasted on guys like Kragthorp and Greg Robinson. The B1G East has elite coaches and his history has shown he has struggled with elite coaches. We can't just poopoo that fact.

If you guys say - hey I know what Schiano can do and I'm ok with it. That's fine. But let's not pretend like Schiano is a slam dunk hire. He is not. There are a lot of risks associated with it, mainly, if we get it wrong - we are stuck with it for a long long time. I'm ok with that risk only because we need stability. BUT, it is not a no-brainer. Far from it.
There was no doubt I complained, and I’ll complain again:)
I’ll take my chances with GS.
His high floor at this time is a no brainer to me.
I think the chances are greater, any other coach you bring in will be overwhelmed...unless it was Meyer or a Franklin

I am not in the Schiano camp as I feel his ceiling is too low and I was never a fan of his game day coaching(not to mention he was, and still is, clueless in trying to stop spread/read option offenses). Frankly I thought once Ash was fired RU would experience that dead cat bounce and actually play better going forward and the job might look attractive. However, and to be graphic, that cat splattered to the point where things are so bad now I wonder if any up and coming coach would risk his career to come here. So to that extent maybe Schiano is the only viable option because this has to be rebuilt from the ground up again and at least that is something he knows how to do. The question is does he really want to do that again. I would personally like to see an up and coming creative offensive coach, but it that cannot be found then maybe Schiano is the next best thing.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I am not in the Schiano camp as I feel his ceiling is too low and I was never a fan of his game day coaching(not to mention he was, and still is, clueless in trying to stop spread/read option offenses). Frankly I thought once Ash was fired RU would experience that dead cat bounce and actually play better going forward and the job might look attractive. However, and to be graphic, that cat splattered to the point where things are so bad now I wonder if any up and coming coach would risk his career to come here. So to that extent maybe Schiano is the only viable option because this has to be rebuilt from the ground up again and at least that is something he knows how to do. The question is does he really want to do that again. I would personally like to see an up and coming creative offensive coach, but it that cannot be found then maybe Schiano is the next best thing.
Good post and sobering.
As bad as we are and the total rebuild necessary, makes this a high floor job the next 5 years.
It’ll take 3 just to have the pleasure of expectations!

Remember people, we lead the league in “well what did you expect”

Say what you want about Greg, but 9 years ago today Eric Legrand got hurt. Watching how he handled that, and how much he cared for that young man; I'm good for a second chance.

He was not a great coach at times, but he can recruit, and he was a good steward. Sign me up

Reactions: ATIOH
Greg Schiano was the right hire 19 years ago. He built Rutgers' a solid foundation in football which was needed to weather the oncoming conference expansion storm and help get RU into the B1G. Temple is the only original BCS team that is not in a Power 5 conference. Without Schiano, it is possible Rutgers would have suffered the same fate as Temple.

After Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East, the conference was not as competitive as the other BCS conferences, with the possible exception of the ACC. After 2009 (the last time the conference finished the season with three ranked teams), the conference was not much stronger than the American Athletic Conference is today. I reviewed the past schedules and results to gauge how RU performed under Schiano against top teams in an attempt to determine expected performance in the toughest division in college football.

Rutgers with Schiano (2006 -- 2011)
I this section I will document the performance of Rutgers in the six seasons from 2006 and 2011 and the competitiveness of the schedule.

Overall record: 49-28 (.636)
Record vs Winning Teams: 19-22 (.463)
Record vs Teams .500 or Worse: 23-6 (.793)
Record vs FCS Teams: 7-0 (1.000)

Current Power 5 teams played (Years Played, Combined Record during those years):
West Virginia (2006 – 2011, 59-19 .756)
Pitt (2006 – 2011, 44-32 .579)
Louisville (2006 – 2011, 41-34 .547)
Syracuse (2006 – 2011, 26-47 .356)
North Carolina (2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 26-25 .510)
Maryland (2007, 2009, 9-16 .360)
Kansas State (2006, 7-6 .538)
North Carolina State (2008, 6-7 .462)
Iowa State (2011, 6-7 .462)
Illinois (2006, 3-9 .250)
------------------------------------
Cumulative Record: 227-202 .529
B1G Cumulative Record for 2017 and 2018: 200-157 .560

Record against current Power 5 teams: 17-17
Record of opponents in 17 wins: 87-123 (.414)
Record of the opponents in the 17 losses: 138-81 (.630)
Record against winning Power 5 teams: 3-14 (.214)
The three wins were against Louisville in 2006, Kansas State in 2006, and Pitt in 2008

Overall record of all teams played (not including FCS): 477-399 (.545)

Record against teams that were ranked the week the game was played: 3-7
Average ranking of teams defeated: 9.7
Record of ranked teams defeated: 29-10 (.744)
Wins were against #2 USF in 2007, #3 Louisville in 2006, and #24 USF in 2009

Average ranking of teams RU lost to: 18.1
Record of ranked teams RU lost to: 69-22 (.758)
Losses were against #25 West Virginia in 2011, #24 West Virginia in 2010, #23 West Virginia in 2009, #20 Cincinnati in 2007, #15 West Virginia in 2006, #13 Connecticut in 2007, and #7 West Virginia in 2007

Record against teams that were ranked at the end of the season: 2-8
Average ranking of teams defeated: 14.0
Record of ranked teams defeated: 22-4 (.846)
Wins were against #7 Louisville in 2006 and #21 Cincinnati in 2011

Average ranking of teams RU lost to: 14.6
Record of ranked teams RU lost to: 84-21 (.800)
Losses were against #22 West Virginia in 2009, #20 Cincinnati in 2007, #18 West Virginia in 2011, #17 Cincinnati in 2008, #15 Pitt in 2009, #10 West Virginia in 2006, #9 Cincinnati in 2009, and #6 West Virginia in 2007

I had to double check that Rutgers only played 10 teams that finished the season ranked in the final six seasons of Schiano’s tenure as well as only 10 teams that were ranked when RU played. The highest ranked opponent RU defeated in this time span was #2 USF in 2007, who finished that season unranked. These numbers are worse than I expected.

B1G Challenges
Ohio State and Michigan appear to be the top two teams in the B1G East. To get to their level, we need to be better than Penn State and Michigan State who I believe are the next two teams in the B1G East. I gave each Franklin a two year mulligan to get started at their current job. I also could not include this season because part of the analysis is based on a full season. That means Franklin’s numbers are from 2016 – 2018 and Dantonio’s numbers are from 2009 – 2018. My thinking is by examining the performance of others, we can better determine Schiano’s effectiveness in his first stint at RU and apply that to expectations if he is rehired.

Overall record of all teams played (not including FCS) – Strength of Schedule
Franklin: 286-224 (.561)
Dantonio: 905-709 (.561)
Schiano: 477-399 (.545)

Overall record
Franklin 31-9 (.775)
Dantonio 91-41 (.689)
Schiano 49-28 (.636)

Record vs winning teams
Franklin 13-9 (.591)
Dantonio 39-34 (.534)
Schiano 19-22 (.463)

Record vs .500 teams or worse
Franklin 18-0 (1.000)
Dantonio 45-8 (.849)
Schiano 23-6 (.793)

Record against current Power 5 teams
Franklin 25-9 (.735)
Record of opponents in the 25 wins: 156-158 (.497)
Record of opponents in the 9 losses: 90-29 (.756)

Dantonio 66-39 (.629)
Record of opponents in 66 wins: 430-407 (.514)
Record of opponents in 39 losses: 366-149 (.711)

Schiano 17-17 (.500)

Record against winning Power 5 teams
Franklin 10-15 (.400)
Dantonio 34-32 (.515)
Schiano 3-14 (.176)

Record against teams that were ranked the week the game was played
Franklin: 5-6 (.455)
Average opponent ranking of 5 wins: 11.2
Record of ranked teams defeated: 49-17 (.742)

Average opponent ranking of 6 losses: 8.7
Record of teams PSU lost to: 65-18 (.813)

Dantonio 22-20 (.524)
Average opponent ranking of 22 wins: 12.2
Record of ranked teams defeated: 208-82 (.717)

Average opponent ranking of 20 losses: 11.2
Record of teams MSU lost to: 225-46 (.830)

Schiano: 3-7 (.300)
Average opponent ranking of 3 wins: 9.7

Average opponent ranking of 7 losses: 18.1

Record against teams that were ranked at the end of the season
Franklin: 3-7 (.300)
Average opponent ranking of 3 wins: 10
Record of ranked teams defeated: 32-8 (.800)

Average opponent ranking of 7 losses: 9.1
Record of teams PSU lost to: 75-18 (.807)

Dantonio 15-19 (.441)
Average opponent ranking of 15 wins: 12.7
Record of ranked teams defeated: 160-40 (.800)

Average opponent ranking of 19 losses: 11.2
Record of teams MSU lost to: 202-55 (.786)

Schiano: 2-8 (.200)
Average opponent ranking of 2 wins: 14

Average opponent ranking of 8 losses: 14.6

Summary
In my opinion, Greg Schiano is a very good Plan B and a mediocre Plan A. He will manage the program and recruit well, perhaps at a grade A or B+ level. He is a C grade coach. With the exception of 2010, Schiano was a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season coach against a fairly weak schedule. From 2006 -- 2013, Rutgers had 21 players drafted by the NFL. During the same timeframe, West Virginia had 18, Pitt had 19, and Syracuse had 17.

Although his supporters consider him a sure thing / known quantity, he will make a similar jump from Big East Rutgers to B1G Rutgers as Memphis’ Mike Novell would be making. Schiano went 42-28 (.600) against FBS opponents in his final six seasons at Rutgers while playing seven conference games instead of the nine Rutgers plays as a member of the B1G. Rutgers has played 19 ranked teams in their first five seasons in the B1G compared to 10 ranked teams in Schiano’s final six seasons.

Rutgers schedule against (final) ranked teams by year:
2018: 4 (#3 Ohio State, #14 Michigan, #17 Penn State, and #19 Northwestern)
2017: 4 (#5 Ohio State, #8 Penn State, #15 Washington, and #16 Michigan State)
2016: 4 (#4 Washington, #6 Ohio State, #7 Penn State, and #10 Michigan)
2015: 4 (#4 Ohio State, #6 Michigan State, #11 Michigan, and #21 Wisconsin)
2014: 3 (#1 Ohio State, #5 Michigan State, and #13 Wisconsin)

2011: 2 (#18 West Virginia, and #21 Cincinnati)
2010: 0
2009: 3 (#9 Cincinnati, #15 Pitt, and #22 West Virginia)
2008: 1 (#17 Cincinnati)
2007: 2 (#6 West Virginia, and #20 Cincinnati)
2006: 2 (#7 Louisville, and #10 West Virginia)
Took the day off?

Maybe it’s been said before in other posts on this topic but I believe people do not give enough credit to Schiano for overcoming all the obstacles associated with the Rutgers football program. How many, if any, P5 schools have less history of success overall at a high D1 level; less support from its alumni base (across the entire spectrum from those with power and money and casual fans - in particular, older alumni with wealth who never experienced a D1 game as a student or young alumni and could care less about RU football), as well as from school officials and administrators who have some influence; less support from its State government and the general population; greater negative stigma among its high school students due to its geographical location and other factors; and more local media bias and opposition. I believe all these factors make Rutgers football a very difficult job and not necessarily a great fit for even the most brilliant football minds with great x and o and gameday coaching abilities.

We need to find the next Greg Schiano of 2000. I am not at all certain that the Greg Schiano of 2019 is that man.

Reactions: Block R
Temple has like 20 players in the nfl - atleast half is from Jersey.. Anyone who half decently recruits NJ, is gonna produce NFL talent. Schiano wasn't no master developer. Even if you praise him for the NFL players, you gotta admit he wasn't good enough on gameday to win with them.
Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?
If it’s so easy to recruit New Jersey how come he was the only Rutgers coach could do it?
When you are a long time Rutgers fan one thing you are always looking at is are we trending up?
In that respect he never failed. He took a lousy program and just built it up. Always something new,always getting better recruits. More and more players in the NFL. More successful players in the NFL. Bigger wins.He added seats to the stadium, if he stayed we might be building another addition by now.
I don’t know if he’s going to get invited back. I don’t know if he wants to come back. I can tell you when he was here it was the most exiting time to be a Rutgers football fan in history. He gained a lot of respect for the program that we haven’t seen since he left.
We sure could use a little of that right now.
Not saying he’s the only coach who could do it but you have to give him credit for what he accomplished here.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Cincinnati was in, Central Florida was never a BCS team.
Technically, they were. 2013 was the first year of the AAC and the last year of the BCS. The AAC was grandfathered into the Big East's BCS bid that year. Central Florida, behind Blake Bortles, won the BE and beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.

Technically, they were. 2013 was the first year of the AAC and the last year of the BCS. The AAC was grandfathered into the Big East's BCS bid that year. Central Florida, behind Blake Bortles, won the BE and beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.
I forgot about that. SMU, and Houston too.

Present a better plan A then that's going to fit in our price range and will be willing to come here.

If you don't want Greg, present someone who's clearly better than him that will take our job for our pay and you'll start making an argument.
But but but... Urban Meyer is available. Why settle for Schiano when you can pull Urban Meyer out of retirement to take on a program rebuild for middle of the road salary at a place that only kinda likes college football when the team is winning.

the slam was in the thread title..obviously

also no regard to the uniqueness of Rutgers and the program history given where it came from. Its a huge consideration. People act as if RU has had levels of success that make it like any other job. I dont think people are honest with RU's place in the athletic world, its truly at the bottom..just going off of history now when you add in RU hoops 28 years of no NCAA

You have a valid point that there are intangible factors to be considered. There are intangible factors for all coaches, including Schiano - some good and some bad. But they should only be considered in the context of all relevant data, which includes all the numbers the OP dug up and arranged for us.

The title is a bit of well-deserved light mockery of the only-Schiano camp. There are definitely some who are treating Schiano as some kind of mystical being whose mere presence will instantly transform RUFB to respectability.

Which is a completely ridiculous proposition. Only consistently winning games against tough competition can transform RUFB to respectability. And the OP's numbers present a troubling reality about Schiano's being able to consistently win against tough competition.

Thank you. You understand the concept. @bac2therac, please reread the first paragraph of the OP.
Greg Schiano was the right hire 19 years ago. He built Rutgers' a solid foundation in football which was needed to weather the oncoming conference expansion storm and help get RU into the B1G. Temple is the only original BCS team that is not in a Power 5 conference. Without Schiano, it is possible Rutgers would have suffered the same fate as Temple.

I'm acknowledging that it is reasonable to believe we are in the B1G today because of what Greg did here. Before Greg got here, we were battling Temple for 7th place in the eight team Big East. I understand the sentiment that he has earned the opportunity to "bask in the glory" and that he has gained your trust. But he chose to leave. If RU hires him back, that should only happen as long as it is also what's best for Rutgers football and Rutgers University. Want one more pro-Greg statement? If Flood ran the program like Schiano did, Chris Ash was never the head coach at Rutgers.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Good summary of the reality of the situation.
Agree.

And I think many are on the same page with this.

After Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East, the conference was not as competitive as the other BCS conferences, with the possible exception of the ACC. After 2009 (the last time the conference finished the season with three ranked teams), the conference was not much stronger than the American Athletic Conference is today. I reviewed the past schedules and results to gauge how RU performed under Schiano against top teams in an attempt to determine expected performance in the toughest division in college football.

Rutgers with Schiano (2006 -- 2011)
I this section I will document the performance of Rutgers in the six seasons from 2006 and 2011 and the competitiveness of the schedule.

Overall record: 49-28 (.636)
Record vs Winning Teams: 19-22 (.463)
Record vs Teams .500 or Worse: 23-6 (.793)
Record vs FCS Teams: 7-0 (1.000)

Current Power 5 teams played (Years Played, Combined Record during those years):
West Virginia (2006 – 2011, 59-19 .756)
Pitt (2006 – 2011, 44-32 .579)
Louisville (2006 – 2011, 41-34 .547)
Syracuse (2006 – 2011, 26-47 .356)
North Carolina (2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 26-25 .510)
Maryland (2007, 2009, 9-16 .360)
Kansas State (2006, 7-6 .538)
North Carolina State (2008, 6-7 .462)
Iowa State (2011, 6-7 .462)
Illinois (2006, 3-9 .250)
------------------------------------
Cumulative Record: 227-202 .529
B1G Cumulative Record for 2017 and 2018: 200-157 .560

Record against current Power 5 teams: 17-17
Record against winning Power 5 teams: 3-14 (.214)
The three wins were against Louisville in 2006, Kansas State in 2006, and Pitt in 2008

Overall record of all teams played (not including FCS): 477-399 (.545)

Record against teams that were ranked the week the game was played: 3-7
Average ranking of teams defeated: 9.7
Wins were against #2 USF in 2007, #3 Louisville in 2006, and #24 USF in 2009

Average ranking of teams RU lost to: 18.1
Losses were against #25 West Virginia in 2011, #24 West Virginia in 2010, #23 West Virginia in 2009, #20 Cincinnati in 2007, #15 West Virginia in 2006, #13 Connecticut in 2007, and #7 West Virginia in 2007

Record against teams that were ranked at the end of the season: 2-8
Average ranking of teams defeated: 14.0
Wins were against #7 Louisville in 2006 and #21 Cincinnati in 2011

Average ranking of teams RU lost to: 14.6
Losses were against #22 West Virginia in 2009, #20 Cincinnati in 2007, #18 West Virginia in 2011, #17 Cincinnati in 2008, #15 Pitt in 2009, #10 West Virginia in 2006, #9 Cincinnati in 2009, and #6 West Virginia in 2007

I had to double check that Rutgers only played 10 teams that finished the season ranked in the final six seasons of Schiano’s tenure as well as only 10 teams that were ranked when RU played. The highest ranked opponent RU defeated in this time span was #2 USF in 2007, who finished that season unranked. These numbers are worse than I expected.

B1G Challenges
Ohio State and Michigan appear to be the top two teams in the B1G East. To get to their level, we need to be better than Penn State and Michigan State who I believe are the next two teams in the B1G East. I gave each Franklin a two year mulligan to get started at their current job. I also could not include this season because part of the analysis is based on a full season. That means Franklin’s numbers are from 2016 – 2018 and Dantonio’s numbers are from 2009 – 2018. My thinking is by examining the performance of others, we can better determine Schiano’s effectiveness in his first stint at RU and apply that to expectations if he is rehired.

Overall record of all teams played (not including FCS) – Strength of Schedule
Franklin: 286-224 (.561)
Dantonio: 905-709 (.561)
Schiano: 477-399 (.545)

Overall record
Franklin 31-9 (.775)
Dantonio 91-41 (.689)
Schiano 49-28 (.636)

Record vs winning teams
Franklin 13-9 (.591)
Dantonio 39-34 (.534)
Schiano 19-22 (.463)

Record vs .500 teams or worse
Franklin 18-0 (1.000)
Dantonio 45-8 (.849)
Schiano 23-6 (.793)

Record against current Power 5 teams
Franklin 25-9 (.735)
Record of opponents in the 25 wins: 156-158 (.497)
Record of opponents in the 9 losses: 90-29 (.756)

Dantonio 66-39 (.629)
Record of opponents in 66 wins: 430-407 (.514)
Record of opponents in 39 losses: 366-149 (.711)

Schiano 17-17 (.500)

Record against winning Power 5 teams
Franklin 10-15 (.400)
Dantonio 34-32 (.515)
Schiano 3-14 (.176)

Record against teams that were ranked the week the game was played
Franklin: 5-6 (.455)
Average opponent ranking of 5 wins: 11.2
Record of ranked teams defeated: 49-17 (.742)

Average opponent ranking of 6 losses: 8.7
Record of teams PSU lost to: 65-18 (.813)

Dantonio 22-20 (.524)
Average opponent ranking of 22 wins: 12.2
Record of ranked teams defeated: 208-82 (.717)

Average opponent ranking of 20 losses: 11.2
Record of teams MSU lost to: 225-46 (.830)

Schiano: 3-7 (.300)
Average opponent ranking of 3 wins: 9.7

Average opponent ranking of 7 losses: 18.1

Record against teams that were ranked at the end of the season
Franklin: 3-7 (.300)
Average opponent ranking of 3 wins: 10
Record of ranked teams defeated: 32-8 (.800)

Average opponent ranking of 7 losses: 9.1
Record of teams PSU lost to: 75-18 (.807)

Dantonio 15-19 (.441)
Average opponent ranking of 15 wins: 12.7
Record of ranked teams defeated: 160-40 (.800)

Average opponent ranking of 19 losses: 11.2
Record of teams MSU lost to: 202-55 (.786)

Schiano: 2-8 (.200)
Average opponent ranking of 2 wins: 14

Average opponent ranking of 8 losses: 14.6

Summary
In my opinion, Greg Schiano is a very good Plan B and a mediocre Plan A. He will manage the program and recruit well, perhaps at a grade A or B+ level. He is a C grade coach. With the exception of 2010, Schiano was a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season coach against a fairly weak schedule. From 2006 -- 2013, Rutgers had 21 players drafted by the NFL. During the same timeframe, West Virginia had 18, Pitt had 19, and Syracuse had 17.

Although his supporters consider him a sure thing / known quantity, he will make a similar jump from Big East Rutgers to B1G Rutgers as Memphis’ Mike Novell would be making. Schiano went 42-28 (.600) against FBS opponents in his final six seasons at Rutgers while playing seven conference games instead of the nine Rutgers plays as a member of the B1G. Rutgers has played 19 ranked teams in their first five seasons in the B1G compared to 10 ranked teams in Schiano’s final six seasons.

Rutgers schedule against (final) ranked teams by year:
2018: 4 (#3 Ohio State, #14 Michigan, #17 Penn State, and #19 Northwestern)
2017: 4 (#5 Ohio State, #8 Penn State, #15 Washington, and #16 Michigan State)
2016: 4 (#4 Washington, #6 Ohio State, #7 Penn State, and #10 Michigan)
2015: 4 (#4 Ohio State, #6 Michigan State, #11 Michigan, and #21 Wisconsin)
2014: 3 (#1 Ohio State, #5 Michigan State, and #13 Wisconsin)

2011: 2 (#18 West Virginia, and #21 Cincinnati)
2010: 0
2009: 3 (#9 Cincinnati, #15 Pitt, and #22 West Virginia)
2008: 1 (#17 Cincinnati)
2007: 2 (#6 West Virginia, and #20 Cincinnati)
2006: 2 (#7 Louisville, and #10 West Virginia)
I think Greg is Hobb’s plan B. If not then they would have met and the meet up
would have been leaked by one side. Had they met and Greg passed then his agent would have let others know that he’s not waiting on Rutgers.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Cincinnati was in, Central Florida was never a BCS team.

They were in the inaugural season of the American Athletic Conference (2013), which is the only season it was a BCS Conference. They won the conference and then beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl

btw, Urban Meyer would never get board approval. too many skeletons in that closet.
Assume, for the sake of argument, he was willing to come here for a reasonable, albeit extremely high, salary. The benefits to RU would dwarf any amorphous negative perception nonsense. It's not even close.

He's the only available coach for whom the expectation of having a national championship caliber team in 4 years is not a ridiculous proposition. Because he's the only one whose name outweighs RU perception enough to instantly and dramatically improve the recruiting of players and assistants.

And having a national championship capable football program maximizes every positive aspect of having a football program. Revenue, perception, marketing, everything.

The BOG is going to say no to that? I don't think so.

Assume, for the sake of argument, he was willing to come here for a reasonable, albeit extremely high, salary. The benefits to RU would dwarf any amorphous negative perception nonsense. It's not even close.

He's the only available coach for whom the expectation of having a national championship caliber team in 4 years is not a ridiculous proposition. Because he's the only one whose name outweighs RU perception enough to instantly and dramatically improve the recruiting of players and assistants.

And having a national championship capable football program maximizes every positive aspect of having a football program. Revenue, perception, marketing, everything.

The BOG is going to say no to that? I don't think so.

you think Urban will accept anything less than what Saban is getting at Bama?

Urban Meyer wouldn't come here if you gave him a blank check. It’s not happening!
I know if we could ever get a Hall of Famer it would give us instant credibility but that is not how it works. I sure wouldn't mind getting a young Howard Schnellenberger,(Miami) or young Bobby Bowden (Fla.St.) type of coach to build this thing. I think we’re beyond that though too.
I think this time around we need a well respected
coach that still has some gas in the tank to out work the competition.

Last edited:
you think Urban will accept anything less than what Saban is getting at Bama?
I have no idea what Meyer would accept. I would guess that he's not interested at all. He doesn't need the money and might no longer have much interest in the stress.

Urban Meyer wouldn't come here if you have him a blank check. It’s not happening!
I know if we could ever get a Hall of Famer it would give us instant credibility but that is not how it works. I sure wouldn't mind getting a young Howard Schnellenberger,(Miami) or young Bobby Bowden (Fla.St.) type of coach to build this thing. I think we’re beyond that though too.
I think this time around we need a well respected
coach that still has some gas in the tank to out work the competition.
I don't think he'd come here either. But I'd be annoyed to find out that we didn't at least raise the question with him or his agent. Because you and I are just making educated guesses. Which is not nearly the same thing as knowing.

In fact, if I were Hobbs, I'd pull together a presentation just for Meyer that sought to convince him. Because why not? It wouldn't take long to do and there's no downside and immense upside in making the attempt.

Extremely low odds, sure. But far stranger things happen all the time.

I don't think he'd come here either. But I'd be annoyed to find out that we didn't at least raise the question with him or his agent. Because you and I are just making educated guesses. Which is not nearly the same thing as knowing.

In fact, if I were Hobbs, I'd pull together a presentation just for Meyer that sought to convince him. Because why not? It wouldn't take long to do and there's no downside and immense upside in making the attempt.

Extremely low odds, sure. But far stranger things happen all the time.

Agree. But Hobbs should have made that presentation for Les Miles last year.

Miles would have moved the needle for RU FB like few others could.

Hobbs is in a tough spot right now. Greg is his last resort but Greg will take any P5 or close to P5 program before RU imo. Hobbs needs to come up with a big name. A Lance Leipold type will not convince the fan base to buy tix next season.

Agree. But Hobbs should have made that presentation for Les Miles last year.

Miles would have moved the needle for RU FB like few others could.

Hobbs is in a tough spot right now. Greg is his last resort but Greg will take any P5 or close to P5 program before RU imo. Hobbs needs to come up with a big name. A Lance Leipold type will not convince the fan base to buy tix next season.
I completely agree about Miles (and advocated for it then, as did @RU4Real).

I also agree about Schiano preferring to be elsewhere. RU could be highly toxic for him this time around as many of those who are clamoring for him now are voicing ridiculously high expectations for him and will be the first to sour on him. The thing a lot of people are overlooking is that Schiano's familiarity with the recruiting struggle at RU makes him more realistic than most about how likely it is he can overcome that challenge this time around. And if he's even interested in coaching right now, he must realize that his career cannot survive another failure. So we're probably his fallback position.

Hopefully Hobbs can locate another Miles-type hire somewhere and convince him to come to RU. I don't know who. But then it's not my job to know who.

I completely agree about Miles (and advocated for it then, as did @RU4Real).

I also agree about Schiano preferring to be elsewhere. RU could be highly toxic for him this time around as many of those who are clamoring for him now are voicing ridiculously high expectations for him and will be the first to sour on him. The thing a lot of people are overlooking is that Schiano's familiarity with the recruiting struggle at RU makes him more realistic than most about how likely it is he can overcome that challenge this time around. And if he's even interested in coaching right now, he must realize that his career cannot survive another failure. So we're probably his fallback position.

Hopefully Hobbs can locate another Miles-type hire somewhere and convince him to come to RU. I don't know who. But then it's not my job to know who.
Can you tell me who has ridiculously high expectations for GS?
I would say 99% of the Schiano advocates think he’s the best man to right the ship and get us off of Joke Street.
That’s nothing more than giving the program an identity, winning a handful of games and giving us the gift of some expectations.

And even that will take at least two years given the shit show, dead program he’d have to revive

ADVERTISEMENT