ADVERTISEMENT

The Myles Johnson Thread

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Kid deserves his own thread. Pike looks like a genius redshirting him last year, as he's now ready. Ready to grow into the best big man we've had on the Banks in at least 20 years, if not since Hinson. Maybe a little early for such a bold prediction, as I'm sure he'll have some clunkers as a youngster and may struggle against better competition, but at the very least, he's going to be a very good one and certainly better than most of the big men we've had in the lean years since Waters. Love his potential.

As I said in my RAC thread last night, kid has nice post moves, good footwork on defense, can pass the ball and is athletic enough to block shots and defend. Look at his line: 4 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Impressive, even for a game against an outmatched FDU. And he was on the Dean's list last year.

Kid deserves his own thread. Pike looks like a genius redshirting him last year, as he's now ready. Ready to grow into the best big man we've had on the Banks in at least 20 years, if not since Hinson. Maybe a little early for such a bold prediction, as I'm sure he'll have some clunkers as a youngster and may struggle against better competition, but at the very least, he's going to be a very good one and certainly better than most of the big men we've had in the lean years since Waters. Love his potential.

As I said in my RAC thread last night, kid has nice post moves, good footwork on defense, can pass the ball and is athletic enough to block shots and defend. Look at his line: 4 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Impressive, even for a game against an outmatched FDU. And he was on the Dean's list last year.

I made similar comments.

Kid has hands, feet, balance and fluidity.

And I hesitated to say what you did say....but he does have a chance to be the best center we had since Roy

Commented last night that he was the player I was most impressed by. Looking forward to seeing how he plays and develops against B1G competition.

I believe in the post game interview Pike said we have to get him more touches down low.

That wingspan on defense. Oh my.

And the guard skills he has - the way he started that break that led to the alley-oop was something. He dribbled out of the key, found Mathis with a super bounce pass along the left side, which led Mathis to alley-oop to Harper. Wow.

Last edited:
Besides showing incredible potential on the court, Myles is an amazing intelligent student who has a 3.7 GPA and is majoring in Engineering.

Pike said Myles is the best passer on the team and not only is the best big man offensively this year but also was last year during practice.

I was very impressed with Myles' offensive skills; his hook shot; his feel around the basket; his intelligence on the court etc and I greatly look forward to his upside and contributions to the rebirth of RU Basketball.

Further, Myles could have went to many schools including GA Tech (great engineering school) and credit to Pike; the staff and RU's Engineering Program - that he decided to come to RU.

Myles would have been more highly recruited out of HS but he was hurt his senior year in HS.

When Myles arrived in July 2017, he was definitely carrying that leg he injured as a junior in HS and he's 15 months ahead in the system, training and awareness.

The redshirt will payoff in his junior and senior seasons...and the "who did we beat out in recruiting for him" was tempered because of his injury in HS...but fortunately we beat Georgia Tech out this time.

Between Johnson and Harper we have two wildly skilled players that were undervalued because of their conditioning and game readiness.

The other beneficiary was clearly Peter Kiss, who hit the ground running. I'm almost tempted to take another freshman or sophomore transfer that perhaps is buried somewhere else, stash him next year and get 2 productive seasons out of that player....OR take a flier on another high quality kid with great academic background that's willing to redshirt in 2019-20....and have that player hit the ground running when Eugene, Shaq Carter depart in 2020.

I knew for the first time he posted up and scored, he was different. Seems so simple, but when was the last time we had s big man with a legitimate drop step?

In a game that is going away from post-up big men, his touch, length, and passing skills can make him unique.

I too am enthused about Johnson. But I want to wait a few games before I dub him the next Hinson. Remember Alvydys Tenys?

Reactions: soundcrib
I too am enthused about Johnson. But I want to wait a few games before I dub him the next Hinson. Remember Alvydys Tenys?

Ouch, yes.

Didn't see the game. Know little about FDU. Just happy RU was so dominate in the 2nd half. Without Freeman and Williams RU won't be as dominant on the offensive boards but better all around scoring may make it a bit easier to absorb.

Just off seeing Miles one game I am pleasantly optimistic. His footwork seemed great and his length and agility is something you can’t teach . Also seems like he has s great feel for the game which is evident by his passing skills . I was supposed how active he was on d as well but would like to see him against quicker more athletic players . Also wondering if he has a jump shot as well .

Just off seeing Miles one game I am pleasantly optimistic. His footwork seemed great and his length and agility is something you can’t teach . Also seems like he has s great feel for the game which is evident by his passing skills . I was supposed how active he was on d as well but would like to see him against quicker more athletic players . Also wondering if he has a jump shot as well .

Myles

When Myles arrived in July 2017, he was definitely carrying that leg he injured as a junior in HS and he's 15 months ahead in the system, training and awareness.

The redshirt will payoff in his junior and senior seasons...and the "who did we beat out in recruiting for him" was tempered because of his injury in HS...but fortunately we beat Georgia Tech out this time.

Between Johnson and Harper we have two wildly skilled players that were undervalued because of their conditioning and game readiness.

The other beneficiary was clearly Peter Kiss, who hit the ground running. I'm almost tempted to take another freshman or sophomore transfer that perhaps is buried somewhere else, stash him next year and get 2 productive seasons out of that player....OR take a flier on another high quality kid with great academic background that's willing to redshirt in 2019-20....and have that player hit the ground running when Eugene, Shaq Carter depart in 2020.
This is one aspect of pike that had me excited for his hiring from the start. For a coach like him to succeed in a smaller program, you have to have a good eye for under-the-radar talent and know how to develop those players. Pike’s proving to do it well at RU with his recruitment of Eugene, Myles and harper

Don’t forget the transfer guard we pick up next year. Wow this team is going to be explosive

Going to be an interesting mix next year when you add Young and Mulcahey to mix . Should make for some interesting lineups for sure

Include me in the Myles fan club. Kid needs a nickname.
The Hughes H-4 Hercules (aka Spruce Goose) is the aircraft with the longest wingspan. So how about “Hercules” as a nickname?

I was saying the same thing last night to anyone around me at the RAC who would listen!

This is one aspect of pike that had me excited for his hiring from the start. For a coach like him to succeed in a smaller program, you have to have a good eye for under-the-radar talent and know how to develop those players. Pike’s proving to do it well at RU with his recruitment of Eugene, Myles and harper
Harper wasn't close to under the radar. He was first team all group all state, and just possibly the best player in the state.

Reactions: RUpop and soundcrib
With his high basketball IQ, the passing, the post-moves and his major/high-GPA... just go with "The Engineer"
Great call dkostus and with Myles being the Engineer, I think Eugene should be the Engine since the kid works so hard, never quits and has such a great motor. Exciting times on the Banks for sure in the future.

So, Myles had another good game tonight with a similar stat line: 4 points, 7 boards, 2 assists, 3 blocks and 0 steals in 19 minutes and had a couple of shots that didn't quite drop. Shaq also had 4/7 and 3 blocks in 18 minutes for 8/14/6 from the center position for the game. I'll take that every night if we can get it against better teams, although that might be a tall order.

Apparently Myles’ parents were in town visiting from California for the last two games. The radio announcers said they spoke with them and that they couldn’t be happier with how things are going for their son at Rutgers both academically and athletically. That’s always nice to hear.

We’ve got this promising and talented big for the next four years.

It’s so damn exciting to think about how much talent we have on this roster and how much of it is going to remain intact moving forward. We can only get better and better.

You’ve really gotta love what’s going on in our BB program right now.

Great point.

Strong talent evaluator/developer.
Head coaching experience.
Reputation as a program builder/overachiever.
Local recruiting roots.

Now, what football HC candidates have those traits..?

ADVERTISEMENT