ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

BIGTENITCH

Junior
Aug 31, 2017
Any big Olympics fans out there?-always love to catch some of the action. NBC is advertising "Live" action (I guess due to a ~14 or so hour difference they broadcast Live events in the AM (maybe only on cable to save for primetime). Love learning about the host country, athletes, yada. Some of my favorite events are women's skating, downhill skiing and bobsledding/luge.

Starts tonight w Opening Ceremonies Coverage Friday night!

From old Korean War footage I knew Koreas could be cold/snowy. Still - could never imagine South Korea an Olympic, winter wonderland. I'm curious to see that S Korean toe-pographa as Shelby Foote would say.

Well we R underway! Moderator Mike Tiraco has a great voice and NBC doing a nice job via analyst discussing the politics surrounding the games.

Figure skating team competition now on. Tara Lipinski looks hot in her red sequins, Johnny Weir looks, well like himself in similar red sequins.

After a great performance by the South Korean National Champ both the German and Chinese athletes had troubles. The German skated to a Harry Connick Jr version of Oasis' "Wonderwall"" and promptly looked like the (now former Oasis) brothers get along! Nathan Chen (the "quad King") up shortly for the US.

Nathan Chan just probably had his short\ short program ever. Fell once and (I think) only got 2 rotations on an intended 2nd quad. Currently in 3rd with a few left to go. Weir says the skate put the US in jeopardy to even get a bronze (in this team, not individual-competition.

Seems everyone is falling left and right.

Is the ice just crap and their blades are getting stuck? It makes the Barclays Center ice seem awesome.

Seems everyone is falling left and right.

Is the ice just crap and their blades are getting stuck? It makes the Barclays Center ice seem awesome.

No it's likely just incredible nerves. It's their World Series and potentially millions of dollars of personal revenue are on the line if they win the Gold/medal.

I think is was James Bailey or Hollis Copeland who described similar with re Rutgers' disappointing performance (0-2) in the 1976 Final 4 (after Rutgers had gone 32-0) Bailey or Copland stated that not only were the teams they played (UCLA and Michigan) much better than they had faced but all of a sudden (after a relatively quiet run) they (small Rutgers) were on the court in the Final 4 with cameras in their face everywhere they went. Very distracting. Indiana, UCLA and Michigan were used to the attention.

Nathan Chan just probably had his short\ short program ever. Fell once and (I think) only got 2 rotations on an intended 2nd quad. Currently in 3rd with a few left to go. Weir says the skate put the US in jeopardy to even get a bronze (in this team, not individual-competition.
NBC Hype Machine...

What would Brian Boitano do?

1) the “Olympic Channel” is awesome

2) my Godfather spent a winter in Korea (believe last year of conflict...) always says he Didn’t experience an extended period of cold before, or since, so take that for what it’s worth

3) they’ve added “mixed doubles team curling” aka MORE curling!!!

They (curling) are a brother-sister team form Wisconsin in the new mixed pairs competition. The duo beat their Russian counterparts 9-3 in their opening match.

They are brother and sister.
They (curling) are a brother-sister team form Wisconsin in the new mixed pairs competition. The duo beat their Russian counterparts 9-3 in their opening match.
Ahh, when they said, the Hamilton's, we inferred that they meant they were husband and wife. I'll have to brush up on my bocce ball on ice combatants.

Man, the commentators just keep yapping and yapping during the "show" parts of the opening ceremony. ZIP IT!

2) my Godfather spent a winter in Korea (believe last year of conflict...) always says he Didn’t experience an extended period of cold before, or since, so take that for what it’s worth

My bro did a tour there with the marines.. told a strange story about almost having to shoot 2 South Korean soldiers on the coldest night of his life... apparently, they were "doing it" outside.. in the cold.. while on guard duty. He chose not to report them because they would have been shot.

It’s the lighting.

Not filled but lighting makes it look completely empty.

Hear any applause or cheering ? Nope. It IS completely empty. Was there a nuclear bomb scare?

The lights on the side of the seats are higher than the heights of the seats. Thus looks like no one is in the seats but when the lights go off you can see the crowd.

NBC not piping in the crowd noise, for some reason.

The lights on the side of the seats are higher than the heights of the seats. Thus looks like no one is in the seats but when the lights go off you can see the crowd.

LOL !! It's a conspiracy to hide the fans sitting in the seats and then to silence and mask/ hide their cheering and clapping, too !! Brilliant !

For some reason the cameras can capture the . 0005/3 fans sitting and .04 percent of the noise, but nothing else, lol

LOL !! It's a conspiracy to hide the fans sitting in the seats and then to make hide their cheering and clapping !! Brilliant !

No conspiracy at all. Ha.

Just facts. Definitely looks empty but I’m telling u it’s not.

Everybody has been turned into pixels. The crowd is a big human TV. Looking for Samsung tag...

Reactions: mikemarc1
Love the women's ski team...

7427ea21079d1640f39203.jpg

At the risk of offending 3 billion Koreans, wtf is this old guy "singing?" I know it's supposed to be some cherished national song, but it sounds like a death rattle.

The only thing I've taken away from this broadcast is that Katie Couric is the most spectacular f*ckin' idiot in the business. Somebody PLEASE stick something in this woman's mouth.

After planning to go work out early for the past 6 months today I wound up napping for 4+ hours until after 9pm after being woken up by a frig being delivered to my upstairs neighbor. Missed the gym entirely.

I awoke to a great shot of the US team entering. VP Pence was standing and clapping. By coincidence Kim Yongs sister was siting behind him. Didn't stand and had a big scowl on her face. Poster material!

The apparant sparce crowd was my 1st reaction. Besides a BC home game looked like R Highpoint Solutions Stadium for the Spring game last year w sizable amounts standing between levels. I offer the following:

1) Indeed as the Opening Ceremonies have continued it appears that the stadium is fairly crowded but not full.
2) The tall lights in many cases are blocking views of the patrons in a given seat.
3) I think much of the lower level is reserved for the athletes as they enter the stadium. The field is being used for the presentation.
4) There may have been security issues or logistics issues/screening process that delayed ticket holders from getting inside the stadium.
5) Could be a "ticket logistics" issue. If lots had to pick up their tickets at the box office or many tickets were "dropped" late that could have led to a massive amount needing to get in (va box office pickup) last minute. I personally missed the first 3-4 hours of Live Aid back In July 1985 due to such.

5***There has always been an issue with the exorbitant cost of ticket prices for the Olympics-especially the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Super Bowl like prices. I had a ticket brochure years ago-maybe as many as 35 Lake Placid? Salt Lake City? Atlanta?) and way back then Ceremonies tickets were no less than $600 for Upper Level-mostly $800+ per FACE. Then, say if you have a family of 4 you had to be lucky enough to land 4 together than say 2.

Many of the "less demand" tickets go unused or drop in price considerably last minute. Ditto Olympics lodging.

You sound like my neighbor with the transgenered thing-it's gotten to the point where I can't look at a hot woman without wondering...

ADVERTISEMENT