ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

USA can't get anyone in the finals so far in speed skating. This is very disheartening. We're not even close to medaling.

USA can't get anyone in the finals so far in speed skating. This is very disheartening. We're not even close to medaling.

I've watched a lot of speed skating so far (both types) and don't believe that we have yet actually "underachieve," medal-wise, unless I missed something.

A couple thoughts:

- If I hear "what does it MEAN to you" one more time I might puke. WHAT THE **** do yo think it "means" to them??!!! Dear Lord I mean, com'on, how about something actually NOT so damn obvious like, I dunno, "which member team member of the opposite sex (or not) do you wanna get oral from while wearing your medal later tonight??"

- #teamchloe

Help me understand why we suck at biathlon. We have never medaled in the sport (and its the only Winter Olympic sport we have never medaled in), yet...

-We have the 2nd Amendment and the widespread gun ownership compared to European countries that medal consistently.
-We do well in Summer Olympic shooting sports. We are good at skeet shooting but not ski shooting.
-We have lots of snow and guns and skiing in northern tier states.
-We have a good number of people who X-country ski.

Help me understand why we suck at biathlon. We have never medaled in the sport (and its the only Winter Olympic sport we have never medaled in), yet...

-We have the 2nd Amendment and the widespread gun ownership compared to European countries that medal consistently.
-We do well in Summer Olympic shooting sports. We are good at skeet shooting but not ski shooting.
-We have lots of snow and guns and skiing in northern tier states.
-We have a good number of people who X-country ski.

it's not about our shooting; it's about not having a whole lot of people who grown up cross-country skiing AND shooting targets as such.

It's just not something that Americans have been interested in. Cross country skiing, in general, isn't really one of our core sports.

The reigning world champ is an American, but he he finished 33rd in the 10k sprint event (not his strength) and the 20k has yet to be run.

as a guy who has worked 6 summer Olympics,,,,,,I think the TV coverage is abysmally crappy////// they the are trying very hard to keep NBC subscribers////.....

I cannot follow their garbage coverage. It jumps all around and they insert worthless commentary. Was watching snowboarding the other day they start yapping and by the time they are done they show the Olympian at the bottom of the hill. Show the goddamn events!

Shaun White with some dramatics, taking Gold on his last run, coming from behind. Crowd goes wild, White looks choked up.

Never been a huge fan of Shaun BUT that was awesome. After Socchi, then that brutal fall he took to the face last year, he earned that with a GREAT run wow! Good to see him get a little emotional, too, ha!

Reactions: ashokan
I don’t get chills or nervous much anymore watching these things but watching Shaun White did it for me. Wow awesome! You love those pressure is on walk off home run type wins.

Have no interest in the Olympics as a whole any longer. Just a glorified cash grab. Add in the abundent corruption and the discusting cover-up by the USOC and US Gymnastics.
Can't root for an organization that uses athletes to their sole benefit and ignores what goes on because of money.
I will watch some events but wont give a hoot about medal counts. For me the downfall was getting rid of amateurs and bringing in the Dream Team. Its been downhill since than.
how do you watch college sports then?

THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE BEST, MOST CLASSIC Olympics competition ever (think back perhaps to Lake Placid Hockey 1980 or Phelps). THAT COMPETITION WAS JUST INCREDIBLE! What strategy/guts by Shaun White to "bring it all" during the preliminary to allow him to be the last to go (therefore he knew he had to perform the back to back 1440s). Then to do such (with just shy of a 100% perfect score). Was in about tears for him as hes has been through a lot including a "mental blockage" of sorts after the last Olympics-needing to up his game with improved tricks a few years back-NBC ran a documentay on such..

THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE BEST, MOST CLASSIC Olympics competition ever (think back perhaps to Lake Placid Hockey 1980 or Phelps). THAT COMPETITION WAS JUST INCREDIBLE! What strategy/guts by Shaun White to "bring it all" during the preliminary to allow him to be the last to go (therefore he knew he had to perform the back to back 1440s). Then to do such (with just shy of a 100% perfect score). Was in about tears for him as hes has been through a lot including a "mental blockage" of sorts after the last Olympics-needing to up his game with improved tricks a few years back-NBC ran a documentay on such..

White's gold was also the 100th for US in winter games.

Reactions: BIGTENITCH
Really need the winds to go away. The lack of Alpine Skiing is killing the nightime content available. It's 75% figure skaitng right now. Ugh.

On the heels of Mike From FLs coverage comment NBC really blew it by cutting away from Shaun White's celebration (had just started) to show the Knierims (ice dance pair) live. I DON'T CARE WHETHER ALEXIS KNIERIM LOOKS LIKE MY SUMMER OF '84 (MED BOUND COOK CLASS OF 84 hottie Sharon L-)-this is exactly why you have 2nd and 3rd channels. NBC couldn't wait 5 minutes?

Yeah cutting away from Shaun White made no sense. Gotta appeal to that female demo though. They drive the ratings.

According to the sport broadcasters women love "narratives". I would think White making a comeback to score a dramatic and teary gold would be better viewing for a few more moments than switching to Liberace .

Why is it seemingly that the US is the only country NOT to use a rock soundtrack? Pretty much every Canadian uses rock and even the North Korean pair (great job) used a Beatles soundtrack!

as a guy who has worked 6 summer Olympics,,,,,,I think the TV coverage is abysmally crappy////// they the are trying very hard to keep NBC subscribers////.....

Mike, I always like the mini stories in the past such as how champion German or Swiss weightlifter Hans or Franz herded goats in the mountains all his life. We may be getting such now but such is on accompanying programming such as "the Olympic Zone (7:30PM)", "NBC Nightly News" (6:30PM) "The Today Show" (AM) and even shows such as 1st Look (Saturday 7:00PM-saw a good half hour show about Korea pre Olympics. Plus other channels and oddball segments on NBC whenever.

With Pyeong Chang there was a great opportunity to show events live (such as tonight's snowboarding) and increase ratings (the results are live) since they are 14 hours ahead of us. Its AM there and primetime here.

In the past ratings suffer because the results were known before our primetime. FaNS could also watch live on MSNBC et al thus (alone with the Internet) "spilling the beans".

The downside of thec 14 hour difference is that the live (or newish) coverage is at the expense of else. In RIO (where once you get out of the beach area you have the impoverished Flavella areas above and not a H*ll much else. . Coverage wasnt and prior results were known so NBC could cut to "interviews" or gatherings such as the beach coverage in RIO.

I kept it on and after the figure skating they did go back and also on the super late coverage they showed the whole ending of him going into the crowd and hugging his parents. Just tears of joy on his eyes. Amazing. Dad said it was the first time he ever saw him cry. You can tell it was just honest and true emotion. He basically lost it. Would have been great to see that the first time. Sports are the best with these comeback stories and when the pressure is i you nail it. I read that he doesn’t even practice the back to back 1440s because it’s too dangerous. He basically went for it and nailed it. Amazing.

Regarding biathlon, we don't win it because the countries that do win have it as their number 1 or 2 sport. They were talking about how Germany has viewing parties and it airs weekly in the winter and is watched by 5-6 million people a week. I would imagine it's our number 104 ranked sport right after hot dog eating and rock, paper scissors.

Another analogy: US. biathlon = Rutgers women's volleyball

Reactions: koleszar
Mikela Shiffrin in 2nd place in the women's slolam after 1 of 2 RUns. .2 seconds back of the Italian leader.

After harassing Shaun White re a 2016? "harassment" event regarding a female drummer? in his band it looks like Bode Miller (announcing the skiing) could be in trouble. "Joked" that a women skier's performance suffered after (amongst else) she got married.

Last edited:
He said it was hard to compete on the tour with a family.

That's pretty much just a fact.

After harassing Shaun Miller re a 2016? "harassment" event regarding a female drummer? in his band it looks like Bode Miller (announcing the skiing) could be in trouble. "Joked" that a women skier's performance suffered after (amongst else) she got married.

How many times you gonna post the same thing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT