ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

US Canada women’s hockey is very entertaining
Was just about to post on that - awesome, exciting game, especially the last 10 minutes, as the US tried to tie the game up, but to no avail. They were storming the net, but the Canadian goalie made some spectacular saves, particularly in the last 3 minutes, when the USA had a power play and the last minute, when the US had pulled the goalie. It's almost certain these 2 teams will play for the gold again.

After harassing Shaun White re a 2016? "harassment" event regarding a female drummer? in his band it looks like Bode Miller (announcing the skiing) could be in trouble. "Joked" that a women skier's performance suffered after (amongst else) she got married.

Is this supposed to be English? (And this is the edited version)

Posting while under the influence of anything is usually a very bad idea.

and while we slept
Mikaela Shriffrin’s First Race of the 2018 Olympics Ends With Gold

gettyimages-918416742_wide-d19c56889f0156f432321cb0b8699129d780127d-s900-c85.jpg

Reactions: RU848789
and while we slept
Mikaela Shriffrin’s First Race of the 2018 Olympics Ends With Gold

gettyimages-918416742_wide-d19c56889f0156f432321cb0b8699129d780127d-s900-c85.jpg

...and now she just got shut out in her specialty. Bad day for USA as Lindsay Jacobelluis, Are you a blowy the best snowboarder in the world at her support the last 12 years or so, blue meddling for the 3rd time in 4 Olympic Games which she was a Gold Medal favorite in each. She’s the one, if I recall correctly, was in the lead and fell heading into the finish line in Torino and Sochi one time with a huge lead.

Women’s Curling got edged by Switzerland and dropped to 1-2.

Men’s Hockey looking good so far.

Starting to draw conclusions about Team USA overall:

- a few surprises for medals so far which is always good

- some young talent that may have the opportunity to dominate their sports the next couple of Olympics but are not there quite yet (most, anyway) missing medals here-and-there

- lots of "oldies but goodies" who earned their spots at trials,fairly and squarely, but maybe just don't have it anymore - physically or mentally - and are keeping our medal count low Unfortunately the young rising stars, in those sports, probably could have benefited greatly, towards the future, with these games but that's not how it goes so it is what it is.

- men's hockey simply could NOT lose that game to Slovenia. Yes, I know no NHL, but you're up 2-0....then 2-1 with the clock winding down in the 3rd...MUST WIN.

Anyway I didn't see SI's "medal count predictions" prior to The Games BUT my guess is we're a tad off as we're sitting at ONLY 8 medals, thus far, after cranking out 28 in Sochi 2014.

Nuts, I've noticed similar re medals. A lot of the winners this time are in their 30's vs newer "superstars". They've appeared in several Olympics and oft have not medaled before. Remember many of these participants perform well on their "World" circuit.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Apparently we suck at things we used to be good at.

Combined with the absolutely horrendous programming, I'm starting to feel like it's time to watch other things.

Lindsay Vonn already off the podium after half a dozen skiliers in the women's Super G. Decent RUn but one mistake cost her. She also had a bad break as she had to go first and contestants only get one crack at the course.

RU4REAL-was beginning to think the same thing. The US isn't a cold weather country and some of these sports-laughable here -have MLB or NFL like followings in some countries. Thought I heard biathlon (skiing and shooting) draws big stadium type numbers in some countries.

Last edited:
Ya know if we adopt President Trump's idea/preferences on immigration Norweigans would be favored. Might damn well help the winter Olympic medal count.

Reactions: REB92
Ya know if we adopt President Trump's idea/preferences on immigration Norweigans would be favored. Might damn well help the winter Olympic medal count.

The Asians are really into the winter games big time. Meanwhile US has been losing interest even in figure skating (which has grown more 'technical" in judging). I miss announcers like Dick Button and Peggy Flemming. They seemed to elevate a skating broadcast. Now its like watching "Glee".

Us guys can sympathize with Vaughn-its always tough to find the super-G's (hot) spot (especially if one only gets one shot).

Yeah I think the US was a bit on Olympic winter heroes pre-Olympics. Case in point the Toyota ad with Ashley Wagner who had a bad skate and didn't make the US team-then complained about the scoring (Hey Ashley how about ZERO points for starting the ScarletNation.com Olympics thread)!

Vonn finished tied for 6th. In a stunning development the 26th woman down-won! Chech E Ledecka, a world champion in downhill snowboarding borrowed Mikalya Shiffrin's? skis and won the gold!

Note US vs. Olympic Athletes from Russia Hockey Live at 7:10AM EST

Last edited:
Yeah I think the US was a bit on Olympic winter heroes pre-Olympics. Case in point the Toyota ad with Ashley Wagner who had a bad skate and didn't make the US team-then complained about the scoring (Hey Ashley how a ZERO points for starting the ScarletNation.com Olympics thread)!

Yeah I think the US was a bit on Olympic winter heroes pre-Olympics. Case in point the Toyota ad with Ashley Wagner who had a bad skate and didn't make the US team-then complained about the scoring (Hey Ashley how about ZERO points for starting the ScarletNation.com Olympics thread)!

Vonn finished tied for 5th. Anna Weith from Austria won the gold. That's their 4th straight in this event.

Note US vs. Olympic Athletes from Russia Hockey Live at 7:10AM EST
Premature. Veith was displaced by 0.01 seconds by an unknown Czech snowboarder-skier who ran an amazing run, supposedly on Shiffrin's skis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/sports/olympics/lindsey-vonn-super-g.html

Chen redeemed himself for the most part with the 5th highest rated free skate ever. He blew the doors off, doing 6 quads, bobbling on one. He's currently in 2nd with a few skaters to go. Has an outside shot at a medal still.

848789-corrected. Actually corrected before you posted but I don't have a high speed connection. Seems like the announcers from NBC thought Veit was a done deal-and cut away early.

Thanks for update-was thinking I was in bizarre world-or Chen was skating in an entirely new event-seeing his name up top (for awhile) the leaderboard.

And another one bites the dust-Chen out of the medals in 5th.

The Japanese 1st and 2nd in men's skating. "Uno" 2nd and Hanyu wins gold. Japanese fans going ballistic

848789-corrected. Actually corrected before you posted but I don't have a high speed connection. Seems like the announcers from NBC thought Veit was a done deal-and cut away early.
Yeah, I caught that - seems like a lot of sloppiness in the coverage...

Yes and to add to all the stats Chan actually WON the freestyle portion (scored more points than anyone including the Japanese Gold and Silver medalists)-he was so far behind he just couldn't make up all the ground he lost.

On that note what a 2 day period for the US! Besides Chen, Vonn had to go first in the Super G and slips (and blamed/hinted at some sudden crosswinds). Mikela Shiffrin takes the day off and lends her skis to a long shot snowboarder who promptly wins the gold!

During the past 2 days the US medal count has faded almost as badly as the Seton Hall men's basketball team this season.

Yeah, I caught that - seems like a lot of sloppiness in the coverage...

Yeah, NBC cut away at approximately skiier # 19-21. Frieda (1st name)-the Chech-was #26. NBC just assumed (or hoped) the standings stood-and they didn't. To defend them (but they should have admitted the competition wasn't over) the men's skate was on (Live) and Chen (who had just skated the 6th best free program ever) was in the lead with the top skaters just about to finish.

A question came up while we were watching the Olympic Skeleton races today:

Who wakes up one morning & decides they want to learn how to slide, face first, down a steep, winding ice hill on a sled at 80 mph??

We were watching the women's skeleton coverage and one of the Americans said your face is around an inch from the ice for most of the race. That is amazing!

A question came up while we were watching the Olympic Skeleton races today:

Who wakes up one morning & decides they want to learn how to slide, face first, down a steep, winding ice hill on a sled at 80 mph??
The same people who didn't like luge, but like sleeping on their stomachs.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Canada was 0-3 in Women's Curling coming into today..then they hammered our women....Men's slopestyle swept the podium in Sochi....only 1 medal today BUT a gold!

Marcel Hirscher with his 2nd Gold of the games in the men's giant slolum. Kristofferson from Sweden? won the silver (I think Kris Kristofferson could have beaten some of these guys today). Ryan Cocoran Siegle finished tied for 11th-made up some ground on 2nd run. Ted Ligety finished 15th in his likely last Olympic competition.

President Trump better act upon his "preferred Norweigan" citizenship into the US. We need to annex their Winter Olympic team. As it's been a tough (but these are all great athletes so there will be "unexpected" medals with slipups) Olympics for the US there's no more medals in R Olympic athletes possession than in my small studio-and like Cozi TV advertises I'm more into the lounge than luge...

this is the worst covered Olympics ever, so disjointed and NBC has geared their coverage with a social slant. Seems like they already picked the athletes they wanted to profile and it had nothing to do with whether they were going to be medalists...

this is the worst covered Olympics ever, so disjointed and NBC has geared their coverage with a social slant. Seems like they already picked the athletes they wanted to profile and it had nothing to do with whether they were going to be medalists...

I will agree . We settled in to watch prime time the last few nights and you get an intro, a promo and then finally an event and then mostly commercials. Hard to get into it unless you like watching the same visa commercial over and over .
Plus, they are doing a lousy job of letting the viewer know what is on and when. I am sure the time difference is a factor. We watched stuff on the nbc sports Saturday afternoon and some of that stuff was shown again on the main prime time broadcast.

Reactions: newell138

I started skiing when I was five. Used to watch Ski Jumping at Bear Mt. I used to really like the winter games but I don't even care anymore about these games. I like Mike Tirico for football but NBC is really missing Al Michael's type for Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT