ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

I started skiing when I was five. Used to watch Ski Jumping at Bear Mt. I used to really like the winter games but I don't even care anymore about these games. I like Mike Tirico for football but NBC is really missing Al Michael's type for Olympics.

Or the guy who did it forever - Costas.

Um...

EVERY GUY EVER?!
tPJgE_zpsa285467b.png

Wtf is with this coverage? Everything they're showing today is reruns from yesterday. They're about to show the women's hockey team play Finland. I watched that yesterday morning and it was on again yesterday afternoon. This is going to be the third time they show it. Just ridiculous.

Wtf is with this coverage? Everything they're showing today is reruns from yesterday. They're about to show the women's hockey team play Finland. I watched that yesterday morning and it was on again yesterday afternoon. This is going to be the third time they show it. Just ridiculous.
You must be talking about a different game because the USA vs. Finland semifinal game wasn't actually played until 11pm last night. The primetime coverage always sucks unless all you want to see is hours upon hours of figure skating (or gymnastics in the summer), but I like that this year you can go into the app and choose from a variety of events that are happening live instead of hoping they show what you want to see at primetime. All of the hockey games are shown live.

You must be talking about a different game because the USA vs. Finland semifinal game wasn't actually played until 11pm last night. The primetime coverage always sucks unless all you want to see is hours upon hours of figure skating (or gymnastics in the summer), but I like that this year you can go into the app and choose from a variety of events that are happening live instead of hoping they show what you want to see at primetime. All of the hockey games are shown live.
I looked it up. It was Finland v Sweden that was on yesterday. My bad. Still, everything that was on this morning, Women's snowboard big air, men's ski jumping etc all of that was on last night. I even remembered some of the comments and the story about the one snowboarder who befriended a little Korean immigrant girl when they were in the 3t's grade who's now a med student at Yale currently studying in Seoul. They showed the girls meeting up at the airport and hugging blah blah blah...

I looked it up. It was Finland v Sweden that was on yesterday. My bad. Still, everything that was on this morning, Women's snowboard big air, men's ski jumping etc all of that was on last night. I even remembered some of the comments and the story about the one snowboarder who befriended a little Korean immigrant girl when they were in the 3t's grade who's now a med student at Yale currently studying in Seoul. They showed the girls meeting up at the airport and hugging blah blah blah...
You should check out the app, it's not perfect but at least there are more choices on there so you aren't forced to watch re-runs.

Reactions: czxqa

I swear every time I put it on this weekend they had the same biathlon showing. It was on at least 3x. It also seems like curling is on non stop but hockey not so much

Reactions: czxqa
I swear every time I put it on this weekend they had the same biathlon showing. It was on at least 3x. It also seems like curling is on non stop but hockey not so much

1) pretty sure curling has continued to draw a larger and larger viewing public in the USA over the past few Games; it's one sport we actually might get better at over the next generation

2) there's been plenty of hockey on, actually, and I'm pretty sure all the playoff games will be telecast with it looks like 3 - starting with the 10PM game between us and Slovakia - aired overnight.

Last edited:
..and more American champs/former medalists/expected medalists fumble today....wow....

You Tiger you.
First I meant Vonn. 2) I wish. I could say I don't have Tiger's problem (that I believe came from too much sex) but (besides two ripped up shoulders, two bad knees, two bad feet and a hernia) I have bad discs from disc bulges, permanent whiplash and now seemingly partial vertigo for periods (one that started Sunday) when direct pressure is placed on my whiplash (=sleep and lifting weights) . Oh and last week I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.

1) pretty sure curling has continued to draw a larger and larger viewing public in the USA over the past few Games; it's one sport we actually might get better at over the next generation

2) there's been plenty of hockey on, actually, and I'm pretty sure all the playoff games will be telecast with it looks like 3 - starting with the 10PM game between us and Slovakia - aired overnight.

Yeah but now the Russian athletes are using performance drugs in curling! Investigation underway...

Bronze for the Sabotani (sp) twins in ice dancing. Danced in part to Coldplay's "Paradise". Even better were Tessa Virtue a Jamie Moyer?-won their 5th medal in Olympic History. Always skating to rock/pop they used a version of "The Police".

Lindsay Vonn got the bronze in the downhill. I only watch skiing once every 4 years and was surprised to find out Vonn only has one gold medal in her career.
That is a great achievement, but the way nbc has been hyping her I figured she was as decorated as Michael Phelps.

Reactions: ashokan
US womens figure skaters down the toilet after the short program, all with horrible programs and out of medal contention..went from dominating the sport to afterthoughts.....these women last night would have lost to Tonya Harding

US womens figure skaters down the toilet after the short program, all with horrible programs and out of medal contention..went from dominating the sport to afterthoughts.....these women last night would have lost to Tonya Harding

Tonya Harding was a pretty good skater. But it was an awful performance from the U.S. Most of the Olympics we have not been good

We have the largest team there but are mired behind 5 other nations and tied with several others for 6th. Proof that our young people are "snowflakes"?

US women win the cross country team sprint. Their first ever medal in the sport, upsetting the Norwegians & Swedes.

Men's curling team beat the British in a must win match to get to the semifinals, forcing the Brits to play a tiebreaker vs the Swiss.

Reactions: ashokan
US women win the cross country team sprint. Their first ever medal in the sport, upsetting the Norwegians & Swedes.

Men's curling team beat the British in a must win match to get to the semifinals, forcing the Brits to play a tiebreaker vs the Swiss.

Just watched (Pretty sure it was the first ever medal or women in the sport, not men, I think we did that last time around) That finish was absolutely amazing I literally stood up and was yelling and screaming my head off for that got across the finish line before the Norwegian!

Damn we lost Gold in the women’s two person bobsled to Jamaica by .06 seconds ugh!!

Just watched (Pretty sure it was the first ever medal or women in the sport, not men, I think we did that last time around) That finish was absolutely amazing I literally stood up and was yelling and screaming my head off for that got across the finish line before the Norwegian!

Bill Koch had a silver in 1976. Still a big upset. I was thinking they shouldn't have hyped Diggins, but she proved the doubters wrong.

I know Bruce beck has been kind to us . But he just previewed tonight’s skiing matchup as saying it’s a big as “Ali-Frazier and yankees-red Sox”.
That was pathetic Bruce .

1:25AM Thursday and at the height of the Olympics. Shiffrin and Vonn ready for their Slolum runs. Canadian women op the US 2-1 in the 3rd. Knight scored for the US..

Shiffrin with a good, not great run. Has a .47 lead with a bunch of skiiers inc Vonn to go. Bode Miller said he doubts it will hold up.

Question for the astute who R right "on" everything. There is a Comcast? commercial with the US women's cross country skiier-her small hometown "wakes up" at 3am and everyone meets at a bar to watch her win the Gold for the US.

Saw it a bunch of times then today after she won the gold. Todays commercial looked exactly how the actual race ended. Was the commercial actually edited/was there a 2nd version?

M Gisin of Switzerland just blew away Shiffrins time by .97. Mowewinkel didn't do well. Shiffrin guaranteed a medal! Vonn now.

VONN OFF course!!!! Gisin of Switzerland with the Gold, Shiffrin with the bronze! The Knightmare continues...

Chloe Kim was featured on the 5 minute "Tonight Show" with Jimmy Fallon. I can't think of two hotter spinners than Kim and Lipinski.

NBC has cut to the frenentic US-Canada women's hockey game 2-2 in OT. The US women R looking very aggressive!

US Killed the penalty until the end of OT! Now a shootout. Shootouts s*ck-no reason for one in a championship game. Have a bad feeling...

Rooney for the US stops 1st Canadanian shot Spooner (Ohio St).
Gigi for the US then Augustus for Canada 1-1. Grant (Minnesota) stopped for the US. Poulin for Canada stopped by US! Emily Falter BC-stopped (BC sucks). Droust Canada scores 2-1 Canada. Kessel US-scores! 2-2 Jenner (Cornell) stopped by the US

Knight STOPPED for the win. Round 6...

Lamerioux GOAL 3-2 US! Augusta MISSES! US WINS WOMEN's GOLD HOCKEY!

Yes , but the way nbc promoted her you would have thought she was a great Olympian
Is NBC hiring her as an on-air personality after she retires? That is the only thing I can thing of that can explain their obsession with covering Vonn.

They prioritized showing the medal ceremony where Vonn received the bronze and giving her airtime so she could blame her skis instead of herself for her downhill disappointment, instead of things like showing the first 60% of what turned out to be an amazing ski half-pipe final or giving a more extensive interview to cross country's Jesse Diggins (who, based on interviews they showed during the day, would be America's Sweetheart with more exposure right now).

Is NBC hiring her as an on-air personality after she retires? That is the only thing I can thing of that can explain their obsession with covering Vonn.

I'm not a Vonn fan but she's the greatest skier all-time globally. With 80+ World Cup wins and 20 World Cup crystal globes she has more than men or women. At 5'10" 160 lbs she's got the legs to go real fast with sharp, leaning cuts. She's extremely aggressive and fearless on downhill. The hazard of that is when she falls or tangles-up its ugly. I've done 50mph going downhill on a bike in July and its sketchy. Going 80mph on ice/snow is crazy. Its no wonder skiers bodies are a mess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d4d462a1921_story.html?utm_term=.3a6f7f213b73

ADVERTISEMENT