ADVERTISEMENT

The Official "How bad is UConn?" Thread!

Ill be honest, after I graduated in the 90s I didnt pay attention to RU football (during the Shea error) so didnt suffer thru it. I started following again once Schiano came aboard. I distinctly remember his early teams getting crushed (but that was generally against top/ very good teams of the time like Miami, WVU). UConn just seems another notch worse...like below rock bottom ;)
Shea's teams got crushed by almost everybody. Granted, there were blowouts against high level opponents, but there were also some blowouts and less than inspired performances against not so high level opponents. The 7-6 win over Richmond and a blowout loss to Temple come to mind.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Very good chance this years UCONN team is the worst fbs team in history or close to it. They are that bad.

with that said we need UConn dead. The northeast HS football is on the decline (blame it in on the liberal moms) and the D1 depth isn't what it once was at the Hs level Don't need another program in this area.

This was predicted to happen 10 years ago in the wake of the whole CTE scare. It's clearly playing out in the NE with UConn, UMass the worst programs in the country. Throw in Temple at #113. There just isn't enough good players in the NE to fill all these rosters.

Reactions: superfan01
Shea's teams got crushed by almost everybody. Granted, there were blowouts against high level opponents, but there were also some blowouts and less than inspired performances against not so high level opponents. The 7-6 win over Richmond and a blowout loss to Temple come to mind.
The Richmond win was a big deal around here. Seriously

The Richmond win was a big deal around here. Seriously
And rightly so. It broke a 14 game losing streak. That was a good Richmond team, top ten in 1-aa.

That 1998 season was Terry Shea's crowning achievement, going 5-6 with wins over Richmond, Army, Navy, Pitt, and Temple. According to Sagarin final 1998 rankings, Richmond was our best win!

Reactions: cicero grimes
And rightly so. It broke a 14 game losing streak. That was a good Richmond team, top ten in 1-aa.

That 1998 season was Terry Shea's crowning achievement, going 5-6 with wins over Richmond, Army, Navy, Pitt, and Temple. According to Sagarin final 1998 rankings, Richmond was our best win!
That season was a mirage. The 6 losses were gruesome blowouts, but Shea got a contract extension and a Big East Coach of the Year award out of it. Then RU won 1 game the next season. That prompted Mulcahy to state that he expected a competitive, winning season the next year, which started the zombie death march that was Shea's last season at RU.

I think that many Rutgers fans hate UConn because they were being touted as more worthy for the Big Ten than we were. The truth is that they don’t fit the profile of a Big Ten university because they have a small off campus stadium, don’t have AAU status, etc. Despite this, there was a media narrative, including one from the New York Times (below) that claimed that UConn should have received the invitation over us. While we know that journalists who wrote about this were clueless, it just ticked people off that the possibility of UConn in the Big Ten was even mentioned. Remember this?

That corollary is this: The Big Ten blew it when it took Rutgers over Connecticut starting next season. Beyond the misguided belief that it was buying its way into the New York City market, what was it thinking?

This article didn’t age well

Scarlet Jerry

Why does there need to be a thread about this?

Is this like the Rutgers fan UConn version of that weird Syracuse thread that is obsessed with Rutgers on the Syracuse board

UConn's fate could have been our own if we hadn't been taken up by the big ten or ACC.

It's just sad what has become of their program. They should have stayed in the AAC.

Is this like the Rutgers fan UConn version of that weird Syracuse thread that is obsessed with Rutgers on the Syracuse board

UConn's fate could have been our own if we hadn't been taken up by the big ten or ACC.

It's just sad what has become of their program. They should have stayed in the AAC.
But they didn't stay in the AAC. They mortally wounded their own football team just to save basketball, which is why it's so damn hilarious.

Last edited:

No, Syracuse fans have this weird obsession with us. I don’t have an obsession with UConn…but since they made a big deal about us getting into the B1G and whined about it this is a simple act of stating an opinion about the state of their football program….

Reactions: mdh2003
Oh please! You take yourself that seriously?
Hardly but it’s funny how some people think a message board affects what happens on the field. Sorry to break it to them, it doesn’t. As a matter of fact, as hard as it is to believe, if they don’t watch a game live on TV, it also has nothing to do with the outcome.

In person? Maybe, because a live crowd can be the 12th man….but ultimately it’s still 11 KIDS at a time on the field for the favored team That have to play together for each side of the ball and Special Teams.

as I said previously to someone else who made the same inaccurate comparison:

save this comment for when this thread goes on for 400 pages and lasts nearly a decade.

until then apples-to-oranges to say the least 🙄

Last edited:
as I aside previously to someone else who made the same utterly ridiculous comparison:

save this comment for when this thread goes on for 400 pages and lasts nearly a decade.

until then apples-to-oranges to say the least 🙄
Exactly.

This thread is TWENTY days old and barely 2 pages. Got a long way to go to match sarah’s obsession.

I agree that we probably shouldn’t care that much about the connies. And I suspect this thread, much like their program, will die an inglorious and mostly ignored death.

But, that fan base was one of the biggest pile of douches that I’ve ever seen. So, screw them. They are getting what they deserve.

This is swimming in the SMU after the death penalty, part of the pool. These players are likely going to need counseling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT