ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-IOWA PREDICTION THREAD

Without Williams I just don't see how Rutgers will score more than 60 points.Sanders,Baker and Freeman would need to score at least 45 points and the rest of the team 20 or more points to reach 65 points.

Iowa 65 Rutgers 57

I think we bounce back and get back in the B1G win category with a single digit win.

It is really hard to tell at this point where RU stands in the conference against the middle and lower tier because the schedule has been so heavy with the top teams -- the five losses were to teams with an IN CONFERENCE composite record of 23-8 (counting MSU twice). I really liked our chances against a few of the upcoming opponents before the MW injury. I am anxious to see what lineups are rolled out to compensate for his loss.

Assuming loss every game from here on out, and will hope to be pleasantly surprised/shocked by a W.

An alternate prediction has a player hitting 3 3s that we didn’t see coming after team needed shooting options to beat zone.

Could be Dadika, bullock burning the shirt, Downes or Smith?

Ru 65
Iowa 62

How do we attack a zone with our personnel?

This game is going to come down to rebounding, both offensive and defensive. I think Rutgers is going to have to take opportunities to run when they can. They are also going to have to get in the lane and Freeman is going to have to crash the offensive glass.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I cant believe all the negativity.

Like coach P always says, this is a process
a process that totally eluded our last coach
but some of you guys think we somehow magically inherited 6 blue chippers
we didnt
he have the guys we have
and coach P does great getting the MOST out of them MOST of the time

ESPN says 52% chance of winning
As usual we keep it close and go down to the wire
Corey makes a steal with 4sec to go, with a nice pass to Freeman for a dunk and a WIN

Rutgers 68
Iowa 66

I cant believe all the negativity.

Like coach P always says, this is a process
a process that totally eluded our last coach
but some of you guys think we somehow magically inherited 6 blue chippers
we didnt
he have the guys we have
and coach P does great getting the MOST out of them MOST of the time

ESPN says 52% chance of winning
As usual we keep it close and go down to the wire
Corey makes a steal with 4sec to go, with a nice pass to Freeman for a dunk and a WIN

Rutgers 68
Iowa 66

Espn and kenpom doesn’t know mike Williams out

Don’t think so. Won’t be like Hartford zone

That's better for Rutgers then. I think Thiam and Geo should have some open looks as long as there is good ball movement....inside out passes and Freeman is not a black hole when he gets the ball inside. But, that's a big if.

I see you have not watched much of Iowa this season,

Crazy thing is i have. I think i have been wrong in EVERY Iowa game. When i finally exited the bandwagon they beat Illinois.

Again this is a match up thing. They play zone. If we don't solve it and have possession after possession empty it has to show itself on the defensive end eventually. That is my theory here.

Crazy thing is i have. I think i have been wrong in EVERY Iowa game. When i finally exited the bandwagon they beat Illinois.

Again this is a match up thing. They play zone. If we don't solve it and have possession after possession empty it has to show itself on the defensive end eventually. That is my theory here.
Fran runs a “zone” but the 1-3-1 is mostly just a way to slow the opposing tempo and prevent transition opportunities. That is why they are 26th offensive tempo and 270th in defensive tempo. They usually hop out of the zone in the half court setting.

Fran runs a “zone” but the 1-3-1 is mostly just a way to slow the opposing tempo and prevent transition opportunities. That is why they are 26th offensive tempo and 270th in defensive tempo. They usually hop out of the zone in the half court setting.

We aren't the usual opponent.

I know we have our flaws, however, this one is winnable, similar to the Wisconsin game. There will be plenty of opportunities to create turnovers, have Sanders/Geo drive to the basket and second/third chance opportunities via crashing the offensive boards vs. their 1-3-1 or and 2-3 zones. I like our chances, fingers crossed.

What concerns me is their Illinois OT win on the road gives them confidence of which they've lacked against B1G opponents. Also, if we don't guard the 3 point line, this one could get ugly and not in our favor. Hated Keita Bates-Diop's 3 pointers without a Rutgers defender within 100 feet of him. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little.

Losing Williams will do one of two things. Worst case: Team is unable to replace all the things he did and flounders for the rest of the season. Best case: Somebody
steps up and takes up the slack and we are able to win some more games.
Not too confident right now for the best case.

Without Williams I just don't see how Rutgers will score more than 60 points.Sanders,Baker and Freeman would need to score at least 45 points and the rest of the team 20 or more points to reach 65 points.

Iowa 65 Rutgers 57

Williams is very valuable but in our last two wins he had 6 points vs Wisconsin and 5 points vs Seton Hall. So its not as hard as you'd think. The defensive intensity and his rebounding is what will be missed most. We need Omoruyi and Baker to step it up on O to get the Ws. Also have Thiam hit a couple 3s and I think 60 is right there. Keeping Iowa under 60 should be the main goal though. My heart predicts:

65 Rutgers
62 Iowa

But Iowa is a high scoring offensive team so see:

Iowa 77
Rutgers: 65

Reactions: RURM85
Losing Williams will do one of two things. Worst case: Team is unable to replace all the things he did and flounders for the rest of the season. Best case: Somebody
steps up and takes up the slack and we are able to win some more games.
Not too confident right now for the best case.

That is an easy way of looking at it but who plays the extra 22 minutes. keep in mind Sanders and Baker are already stretched in minutes before the injury. Assuming Iowa playing mostly zone.

Sanders 31 Souf/Dadika 9
Baker 34 Sanders 6
thaim 37 baker 3
Freeman 28 Eugene 12
Duke 10 Eugene 14 DoorSa'n 16

You are asking Corey Geo and Issa to play 37 minutes.....and don't get in to foul trouble. May mean RU goes some zone.

As far as I can tell, Iowa scores a lot but plays no D. Seems like we do better in grind it out games. This could easily be a double digit loss

That is an easy way of looking at it but who plays the extra 22 minutes. keep in mind Sanders and Baker are already stretched in minutes before the injury. Assuming Iowa playing mostly zone.

Sanders 31 Souf/Dadika 9
Baker 34 Sanders 6
thaim 37 baker 3
Freeman 28 Eugene 12
Duke 10 Eugene 14 DoorSa'n 16

You are asking Corey Geo and Issa to play 37 minutes.....and don't get in to foul trouble. May mean RU goes some zone.

I think they'll have Eugene play more 3 and put more minutes on Sa and Doorson. Its not ideal but we saw it a bit last game. Anything to keep Souf's minutes low at this point

So Bac and dpWhite see close wins while Fig sees an ass whoopin.

I guess in 7 hours I'll be driving home either laughing at Fig or cursing the other two for getting my hopes up. One things for sure. I have no freakin idea what to expect tonight.

I think having no idea what to expect is the best choice here

Iowa is not a world beater thats for sure. RU without Williams is going to suffer but if we are getting blown out by Iowa, then we are looking at 0-18 this year. We could lose to Iowa, I wouldnt be surprised by it but a blowout means the wheels are off and Pike would have do alot of patchwork to get this team another win somewhere

ADVERTISEMENT