ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-IOWA PREDICTION THREAD

Rutgers 84 Iowa 63

I don't think this Iowa team is going to be able to deal with our physicality. Also think Garza is going to seriously struggle vs us.

Reactions: Randal7 and Scangg
Rutgers 84 Iowa 63

I don't think this Iowa team is going to be able to deal with our physicality. Also think Garza is going to seriously struggle vs us.
If we were to blow Iowa out on the road, the National media coming our way would be enormous. I just hope Rutgers competes.

Iowa lives at the FT line, so this game will get into the 70s...

Not sure how Iowa plans on getting stops vs Mathis, Young and Harper in transition.

I haven't made many in season predictions, but I feel Garza is a better player than the bigs for Illinois and Minnesota because he is a passer. But I feel like there has to be a decision made on stopping the guards more than Garza. Someone has to keep the 3a limited vs 2s.

RU by 5

Reactions: Scangg
Its a road game against a opponent that consistently scores more than 70 points at home.

Iowa 74 Rutgers 67

How do you get RU to get higher % at the line? Like my putting? Just keep doing it?

RU has limited other teams FT attempts, Indiana and Minnesota both held well under their season averages. hope that continues. agree with RU by 5!

Iowa lives at the FT line, so this game will get into the 70s...

Not sure how Iowa plans on getting stops vs Mathis, Young and Harper in transition.

I haven't made many in season predictions, but I feel Garza is a better player than the bigs for Illinois and Minnesota because he is a passer. But I feel like there has to be a decision made on stopping the guards more than Garza. Someone has to keep the 3a limited vs 2s.

RU by 5

Well keys to the game because it has been working so why stop:

1. Limit the 3 ball: We have done a great job at defending the 3 (29.4% which is top 30 in the country according to Barttovik) however Iowa shoots 36% from 3. As someone said above it is almost like pick your poison and I would limit the help of the double inside as best as possible. If we do we must have crisp rotation otherwise they will hit their share of them.

2. Keep them off the FT line: Again as mentioned above Iowa does a great job getting there & shooting a high percentage as a team at almost 74%. They will get chances, the key is to limit them and not pick up cheap fouls to put them in the bonus.

3. Contain CJ Fredrick: I thought about this a lot and really he is a guard from Iowa who can create his own shot the most. I expect Mathis/Young to draw the assignment on him as he is lights out from 3. If they can contain him like they did with Carr it puts us in a much better spot to win.

Bonus: Attack and draw fouls on Iowa. They are not the strongest defensive team and have a shorter bench than we do. If we can get their guards in trouble it will force guys who do not score a lot to step up and play more minutes. Whether this means posting up our guards and clearing out the bigs or running in transition we need to find a way to put some pressure on their bench to play some significant minutes.

Not sure what the outcome will be here as it is really hard to go into Iowa and win. The fact that this group did last year plus the way we are playing now increases our odds, but if we do lose this one in a close game it will not be the worst thing in the world since we took the sweep at home this past week. Great Q1 opportunity awaits.

Contain Garza and we win. Weiscamp needs to be contained as well because he can get hot. Big drop off after those two. Conor McCaffery is the worst starter in the BIG10.

Watch for Garza traveling in the low post. Does it a few times a game and it never gets called.

If MJ can stay out of foul trouble I think we win by 5.

3 things must happen for RU to win
1/ RU gets a fair whistle
2/ RU gets a fair whistle
3/ RU gets a fair whistle

If this happens, Fran McCafferty blows a gasket and gets a technical...RU wins in a nail biter future BTN classic 77 to 76...RU is a great story and good for the league....

I think the game plan is to limit Garza, not stop him. I don't think he can really be stopped (see Oturu.) I thought I read that in games where he absolutely went off, Iowa lost so to me, letting the rest of the team try and beat you is the key. Defense travels. We overwhelm them on the boards and throw wave after wave at everyone not named Garza.

Garza gets 26 but we win going away.... RU 71 Iowa 68.

This is a tall order against a really talented offense, and Iowa's defense is better this year than it was last year. I have a feeling this game will be like our road game against MSU, where we hang around into the mid-2nd half, but then Iowa pulls away.

Iowa - 75
RU - 66

If you go to a cemetery in Iowa a bunch of headstones will read "Best day of my life"

Iowa 81
Rutgers 69

We're overdue to get torched. Let it all happen in one game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT