ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-PURDUE PREDICTION THREAD

Time to shine on the road. If this team want to guarantee a place at the dance, they have to show up and lose the "loser" tag on the road.

Purdue is so streaky. Very tough team to figure out. Purdue 71 Rutgers 62

I read somewhere that our average margin of defeat in Mackey Arena is over 28 points. Honestly, I'll be relatively satisfied if we don't ruin our season long streak of no blowout losses. A road loss by 10+ points is not what we need right now. Of course, a victory would be fantastic, but Purdue needs this game even more than we do and it's their senior day. It's a tall order.

I read somewhere that our average margin of defeat in Mackey Arena is over 28 points. Honestly, I'll be relatively satisfied if we don't ruin our season long streak of no blowout losses. A road loss by 10+ points is not what we need right now. Of course, a victory would be fantastic, but Purdue needs this game even more than we do and it's their senior day. It's a tall order.
Extremely tall order.
I remember well our home win against them. Offensively, Jacob Young had a huge problem playing against their guard,, and the way Young plays D, I’m sure their guard couldn’t do much against him.
It will be interesting to see if Jacob can continue his offense against them...their guy took away his left and really frustrated him

Extremely tall order.
I remember well our home win against them. Offensively, Jacob Young had a huge problem playing against their guard,, and the way Young plays D, I’m sure their guard couldn’t do much against him.
It will be interesting to see if Jacob can continue his offense against them...their guy took away his left and really frustrated him

geo was frustrated as well when Eastern locked him up

Reactions: Scangg
I'm torn. I genuinely predicted a loss to UMD, so hoping this keeps the JuJu going:
P 68
RU 62

If we play even close to how we played against MD, we win, but we haven't played that well yet on the road, except against a weak NE team. I feel good about this one, but no prediction.
I thought we played great against Iowa especially to start the game. Thought the refs allowed Garza to be way too physical while not allowing our Bigs to touch him back at all. He’s a great player and he got the superstar treatment. Fair enough but. I thought we played very well that game. If we play like that we win IMO. Also the 2nd half of PSU was as well as we can play.

Interestingly, our win was all about Caleb, and his making his free throws.
Us making free throws all night

There have been very few times where the home team has more pressure on them, than the visiting team has...

Make no mistake in viewing this from a RU fan perspective....if we didn't blow out Maryland, then yes, RU would have an enormous monkey on it's back. But with that win secured and in their resume, there's really no pressure on RU here. They would love to win and I believe play hard and compete.

But Purdue has no margin for error.....they not only need this game, they need to win at least 2 more games after this one.

It is a hostile arena and loud....but if and when RU survives the 1st tidal wave of crowd noise (unlike what Maryland didn't do the other night here getting down 19-8), the pressure mounts on Purdue.....

The crowd will become antsy....when they miss shots, you will hear moans and.groans if RU secures the rebound and limits them to one shot....they will have to earn their points and the fans will sense things slipping away, the longer this game, remains a close game.

Once that initial emotional wave passes and RU sustains itself, the road team here will loosen up....they will take more confident shots, defend and get stops....

The one mistake that RU made in matchup #1, was trying to hide Mulcahy defensively on Proctor, who saw the openings and took advantage off the dribble. If that loop is closed and it's Mathis, Caleb, Young, Baker vs Thompson, Stefanovic and Wheeler/Proctor, RU has the offensive advantages and ability to defend their guards as well.

It comes down to swarming Trevion Williams and crashing the glass. I can see multiple matchups that RU can take advantage of vs Purdue, just like game 1...Purdue was only able to score, because we turned Proctor loose, because he wasn't scoring much coming into that game..... Now he is but he's not going to draw an easy 13 minutes of Mulcahy defense for free lunch to get going on offense...he's going to be guarded much better than game 1.

Survive the wave and 1st half and see if the referees call a fair game in the 2nd half. If they do,.RU will be in this game and the longer this game, remains a game, the more pressure mounts on the Boilers....I am more curious to see how the home team reacts with the pressure on and a team in Rutgers who has no real pressure on them, but something to prove.

RU 68, Purdue 61....

best on ball defender in the country
I thought the same thing last game. He has so much length and moves laterally very well for his size especially. Good thing he doesn't provide any offense at least. Purdue plays some low scoring games. They haven't shot the ball well even in their wins recently

It would be nice to see Caleb break out here since he had a good game against them last time and it's the regular season finale.

Eastern is tough as nails

Eastern on Baker is fine, who is going to slow down Ron Harper, if he gets going?? Eastern cant guard everyone...tell me who guards Harper on the perimeter if it's not Eastern....if you place Proctor on Baker, it opens up other guards to take advantage.

Tall order for sure. Maybe we play good enough to get the win in a close one. Only seems fitting we win our first and last league road games and lose everything in between.
RU 62 Due. 59.

Reactions: Plum Street
Extremely tall order.
Their guards are physical and capable of playing excellent defense.

If Purdue hits threes, RU is dead. If not, we got a game, that's pretty much the MO this year.
This. They’re a schizophrenic team, normally beatable but tough to beat when they make threes in volume, like they did against Iowa when they made 19 (!) threes. Gotta defend them at the arc and let them try to beat us from the paint and from the FT line. If we do that and play our normal game, we win. RU 73-69 in OT.

Can't bring myself to make a prediction.

Mackey on senior day, with Purdue having their backs against the NCAA-tournament-wall, is going to be L-O-U-D.

We have a mental block on the road.

This is not a good recipe for success.

But we also have confidence after the Maryland destruction. The guys know they need to play 40 minutes with their hair on fire.

So, yeah, I'm just vacillating all over the place.

F it -- Rutgers 68, Purdue 63. There, I said it.

Watched Purdue’s last game at Mackey... that is a B1G advantage as the RAC is for Rutgers... we need to play way beyond good on Sunday... we need to play 40 minutes ...crash the boards... make free throws all night... get out on the wings and disrupt... I ‘m hoping Piekell gets a technical when and if the team is getting hosed by ref’s calls...just once Steve please ... just like your mentor Calhoun did many times .

ADVERTISEMENT