ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC gets some props

Seton Hall, been to a few games in the Dome back in the OBE days. Never liked the atmosphere. Though perhaps my extreme dislike of Cuse colored it.

Grew up in Central Jersey and have been to the RAC for multiple different types of events.

The Rock got very loud for the games where the entire arena was open last year, especially vs MSU and Nova.

The RACs dimensions and low roof give it a major home court advantage when you have 8k fans in red screaming.

But SHU has the advantage of taking in a lot more potential revenues per home game even after the lease payment to the venue.

Before CV was a thing, I was expecting 18k for the RU at SHU game this December

Yeah we’ve grown with the building. The loudest I’ve ever seen it was Nova in 2019 where we had to beat them to get into the Tournament, but 2nd to me was when we were bad and Jeremy Hazell went nuclear to beat a top 10 Louisville.

You guys certainly deserve to be recognized for an elite arena atmosphere though. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s going to games there where you played the Syracuse’s and Notre Dame’s and the crowd and energy helping to will upsets.

And I always thought our homecourt was great because we don't have 5 star players like Duke has.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Jeff van Gundy in a newspaper article talked about loud games. Loudest game for him was not Knicks-heat playoffs. PSU and Ru for A-10 championship was the loudest game.

Jeff van Gundy in a newspaper article talked about loud games. Loudest game for him was not Knicks-heat playoffs. PSU and Ru for A-10 championship was the loudest game.
That is awesome.

Never been, but I've heard the Carrier Dome is kind of dead. I wonder if it's these kids just throwing in places they know or schools they like....

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
It's nice that he said that, but I was at Knicks-Heat during a Friday night playoff game following those crap suspensions and it was insanely loud.

Were you at the Penn State Rutgers game? Was the opinion of Van Gundy.

But having been there, I would say this, the single-loudest arena I’ve ever been in my whole life was the night Rutgers beat Penn State to win the Atlantic 10 championship and go to the NCAAs. I can’t think of something in my time in coaching that I’m more proud of than being a part of that group. Bob Wenzel did an incredible job with that group because they had no right doing that based on their talent. Article I believe by Jerry Carino. At the end of the article Van Gundy says if they get good, they will not lose at home.

Jerry Carino wrote the article I just pasted there. Another article I had Van Gundy said the same thing. Joe Paterno was AD at Penn State at the time also and commented could not believe how loud it was.

Yes that is one I found and had old article where Van Gundy said that night was the loudest game. Can't find article though.

But having been there, I would say this, the single-loudest arena I’ve ever been in my whole life was the night Rutgers beat Penn State to win the Atlantic 10 championship and go to the NCAAs. I can’t think of something in my time in coaching that I’m more proud of than being a part of that group. Bob Wenzel did an incredible job with that group because they had no right doing that based on their talent. Article I believe by Jerry Carino. At the end of the article Van Gundy says if they get good, they will not lose at home.
Totally agree! Even being in the band we were having a hard time hearing ourselves during timeouts because it as deafening! Add to it stomping on the wood planking and it was absolutely crazy!

I was there as well. Loudest evah.

But the Garden gets pretty loud too...was at a Rutgers/St. Johns game where we were winning late when the Johnnies tied it up on an old fashioned 3 point play (as Bruce Johnson used to call it) where the ball stayed on top of the rim for a sec before falling in after the whistle. When it went thru it was really, really loud.

ADVERTISEMENT