ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the B1G

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
I love what Rutgers has shown so far, but what about the rest of the league?

I saw part of the Nebraska game, and they look good. So far they are worthy of the hype they are receiving this year.

Michigan State looks to be a solid team, but I'm still questioning they are the best team in the B1G. They do appear to be as deep or athletic as last year's team. Their defense is the one thing they can count on every year, and that will give them a chance.

IMO Iowa has not made the jump all the experts talked about before the season. They looked like the team Rutgers beat last year. I feel most of the B1G has taken a step forward while Iowa has stayed flat.

I haven't seen the rest of the league, so I can't comment on them. Can someone else give some feedback on the other teams?

Last edited:
Watched some action from 9 out of the 14 teams. There are a lot of new faces on many of the B1G teams. It's so hard to judge at this point due to level of competition.

Reactions: RU MAN
Indiana is really good. They could win the league. Maryland has talent but has not played their "A" game as yet.

Other than MSU's game v. KU those are the only two B1G teams I've seen thus far. PSU and Minnesota on BTN tonight. May try to catch a bit of both.

Indiana is really good. They could win the league. Maryland has talent but has not played their "A" game as yet.

Other than MSU's game v. KU those are the only two B1G teams I've seen thus far. PSU and Minnesota on BTN tonight. May try to catch a bit of both.

Watched both Indiana games. They have an interesting mix of returning players and freshmen. They're starting 2 freshmen - Romeo and Phinisee at PG. Demezi Anderson getting significant minutes off the bench. When Deron Davis, who got minutes off the bench, gets his basketball legs back, they're going to be an extremely tough out. Jerome Hunter is also out of action with a leg injury.

Reactions: RutgHoops
I love what Rutgers has shown so far, but what about the rest of the league?

I saw part of the Nebraska game, and they look good. So far they are worthy of the hype they are receiving this year.

Michigan State looks to be a solid team, but I'm still questioning they are the best team in the B1G. They do appear to be as deep or athletic as last year's team. Their defense is the one thing they can count on every year, and that will give them a chance.

IMO Iowa has not made the jump all the experts talked about before the season. They looked like the team Rutgers beat last year. I feel most of the B1G has taken a step forward while Iowa has stayed flat.

I haven't seen the rest of the league, so I can't comment on them. Can someone else give some feedback on the other teams?

Nebraska's games have been against some very bad competition. Their defense has been very good but their 3 point shooting hasn't been where it needs to be. The rotation will get trimmed down to about 8 vs the 11 it has been so that may help some. They play Seton Hall in Lincoln on Wednesday so that'll be a test for sure.

Reactions: AD888
Nebraska's games have been against some very bad competition. Their defense has been very good but their 3 point shooting hasn't been where it needs to be. The rotation will get trimmed down to about 8 vs the 11 it has been so that may help some. They play Seton Hall in Lincoln on Wednesday so that'll be a test for sure.
Well Rutgers is the best 3 point shooting team in the country, so not everyone can compete with that.

Sorry, it's just so rare we get a chance to say something like that around here.

You have the full backing of RU support in beating the living crap out of the seton hall smurf idiots.

Last edited:
Purdue I do not think will be as good as last year. Carson Edwards is still dangerous, but they lost big pieces.

Reactions: littlenis5
My take on a very small sample of games:

Maryland - will be very good. Bruno Fernando is a 1ST round pick (maybe lottery) and they have very good recruiting class.
Penn State - will regress. Lost too much in offseason and Watkins still hurt.
Ohio State - will be very good. Terrific recruiting class and Holtmann is a real good coach
Indiana - much much better with possible Big 10 POY in Langford
Michigan - will be just as good as last year as their underclassmen (Poole etc) and a very good recruiting class will make up for loss of Wagner.
Michigan State - top 10-15 squad
Minnesota - many have them predicted for middle of pack in Big 10 so they have obviously improved.
Iowa - I think Bohanon is stlll on team with Garza and Cook...so they will be formidable.
Purdue - will regress...lost too much...but still very formidable.
Nebraska - top 25 upper classmen laden team
Wisconsin - will be much improved over last year.
Illinois -????..I believe they have a 5* recruit in their class.
Northwestern - an enigma but should be improved playing on their campus again.

i see the Big 10 this year as vastly improved as the conference pooped in its pants last year:

NCAA Final 4 Contenders: Michigan;Michigan State
NCAA Bids: Maryland; Indiana; Nebraska; Wisconsin
NCAA Bubble: Ohio State; Iowa; Purdue
NIT: Minnesota
Last 4 spots in no order: Rutgers; Penn State; Illinois; Northwestern

Maryland - will be very good. Bruno Fernando is a 1ST round pick (maybe lottery) and they have very good recruiting class.
Ohio State - will be very good. Terrific recruiting class and Holtmann is a real good coach
Michigan - will be just as good as last year as their underclassmen (Poole etc) and a very good recruiting class will make up for loss of Wagner.
Minnesota - many have them predicted for middle of pack in Big 10 so they have obviously improved.
Iowa - I think Bohanon is stlll on team with Garza and Cook...so they will be formidable.

i see the Big 10 this year as vastly improved as the conference pooped in its pants last year:

Phil - we are going to the tourney this year. So put us in the bid category

Iowa has some big time scoring capability but they still don’t look like they care to defend. Seems like a lot of wasted talent if they don’t focus on D.

I'm not sold on Iowa or Wisconsin.

Maryland finally played well tonight. They are good. Carter and Doucoure are 100% playing in that game. They always have one, and often two, 6’10” skilled post players on the floor.

The Mike Watkins arrest may make Penn State the worst team in the league. If they aren’t NW or Iowa might be. We aren’t finishing last.

Minnesota is intriguing. They have talent.

Phil - we are going to the tourney this year. So put us in the bid category
The Big 10 has no definite Final Four team like Michigan State last year and Wisconsin in years prior. However , there are no easy outs and every game will be difficult. Most of the league will be between 15-50 with a lot of young talent. You cannot chalk up any game as a win but for the first time in a while you cannot pencil in any game as a loss orvthat we have no chance. One of the more interesting years prepping us for the following years run.

Michigan's offense is struggling at the start of the year (as most predicted), but the defense is even better than it was last season when they finished #3 in KenPom D. They might give Virginia a run for their money for fewest PPG allowed this season.

Maryland finally played well tonight. They are good. Carter and Doucoure are 100% playing in that game. They always have one, and often two, 6’10” skilled post players on the floor.

The Mike Watkins arrest may make Penn State the worst team in the league. If they aren’t NW or Iowa might be. We aren’t finishing last.

Minnesota is intriguing. They have talent.

I was just looking at PSU boxscore and thought they lost a lot. Watkins arrested?

Let's get through the Boston U game the day after Tgiving....then maybe I put my hat on and see which teams in B1G can be had.

Reactions: RUChoppin

or Eugene, Johnson and Shaq D combine for 40
Eugene 33
Myles 25
Shaq 22

However I'd like to think/hope that in minute 17+ for Shaq D and minute 20+ for Myles that either or both of the other 2 are better.

I know it's a bit early to "dream big dreams", but B1G is off to a nice OOC start. Wins by OSU @ Cincy and Minnesota over Utah. MSU's loss to KU is the only loss by a B1G team thus far.

Last year the league was awful OOC (4-4 in Big East challenge and 3-11 in ACC challenge) which was a HUGE contributor to only four teams getting bids. B1G opportunity this week with the B1G-Big East challenge. Seven bids is a realistic goal for the league.

Reactions: dkostus
I know it's a bit early to "dream big dreams", but B1G is off to a nice OOC start. Wins by OSU @ Cincy and Minnesota over Utah. MSU's loss to KU is the only loss by a B1G team thus far.

Last year the league was awful OOC (4-4 in Big East challenge and 3-11 in ACC challenge) which was a HUGE contributor to only four teams getting bids. B1G opportunity this week with the B1G-Big East challenge. Seven bids is a realistic goal for the league.

The B1G last year was both bad in OOC play and extremely top heavy. This year's conference figures to have far more parity with far more teams in the conversation for tourney bids. I'd imagine there ends up being at least 7 teams in the NCAA tourney and possibly as many as 8 or 9.

its still a tough slog up the ladder in this league. RU is still somewhat at a disadvantage talent and experience wise.

its still a tough slog up the ladder in this league. RU is still somewhat at a disadvantage talent and experience wise.

Maybe we get some luck when looking at the other 13 schools and catch a few in down years or face them at the right time of the year. For the first time in a long time we also have the variability of 3 point shooting. If we continue taking a bunch on any given day we can be 10-15 points better than we really are because we make a high percentage.

Maybe we get some luck when looking at the other 13 schools and catch a few in down years or face them at the right time of the year. For the first time in a long time we also have the variability of 3 point shooting. If we continue taking a bunch on any given day we can be 10-15 points better than we really are because we make a high percentage.
Especially for home games in conference play. 3 point shooting/confidence often feeds off the crowd. I'm still very concerned about this team on the road

Reactions: BillyC80
At least one team always surprises like Nebraska and Penn State last year and at least one team always craps the bed like Northwestern last year. It's early, but the league parity and the fact that Johnson, Kiss, and Harper all appear to be better than I expected, give me hope that we can escape the basement.

With no clear-cut favorite this year, conference play should be a slug-fest. Also, with twenty league games, the top teams could have comparitively medicore records.

I watched the PSU game last night. They have some quickness at guard and ability to get to the rim however they can't finish and aren't great shooters. They got a TON of offensive rebounds last night though. Jacksonville state fought them tough all the way until the end.

PSU plays very physical, hopefully we get good refs for that game. The refs last night let them play physical

PSU plays very physical, hopefully we get good refs for that game. The refs last night let them play physical
DeShawn may be gone, but Eugene, Shaq, etc. have never shied away from physical play. Not concerned about that

we definitely now have the abilty to win some of these games that we are used to playing close and losing. This group will still have to learn to win when the competition gets tougher. Its great to see what we saw in the first two games but those were not very good teams. The stretch in the next two weeks is really a great test. SJU but also EMU and Boston U. will provide good measuring sticks. I dont like the way the conference season opens because realistically it will be tough to beat Mich St and then Wisky on the road is going to be another tough challenge and don't forget that Miami game in between...RU more than not is looking at a three game losing streak...so to me I am interested in what they learn and how they bounce back from that....two easy games before the new year and then winnable Big 10 games at home. Those are the 2 games...Maryland and OSU that are going to give the best indication of what kind of team and season we will have in the Big 10

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if we beat St. Johns and turned around and lost to EMU.

I said in another thread that I want to get thru Boston U (Game 5) and then assess where we really are. We will have a 5 game sample and it will be against a B1G type of team and 2 non cupcakes.

wouldnt be surprised either...a team like we have with so many new players contributing, success will not always be linear. I think we will have some frustrating times when the shots do not fall and we trip up or dont compete the way we want to.

Reactions: RUChoppin
wouldnt be surprised either...a team like we have with so many new players contributing, success will not always be linear. I think we will have some frustrating times when the shots do not fall and we trip up or dont compete the way we want to.
No way we are in the basement this year! Lol

Funny thing about our offensive rebounds last year. First, we missed a lot of shots, so we had many OReb opportunities. Then we often missed a chippy, got the OReb and missed the chippy again, so in that case our OReb % was 50%, but we still came away with no points. I’d rather we have fewer ORebs this year because we’re burying 50% of our shots, including many treys.

Wisconsin taking it to Xavier tonight but they're a three-man show. No bench points. Happ, Trice, and Davison are doing all the work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT