ADVERTISEMENT

The sky is NOT falling on Men's Hoops...an OTB article

We need to redefine what recruiting means?

we have won without "recruiting" since Pikiell has arrived.

2021 recruiting is now different than 2010 or 2015 or even 2020 recruiting.
Huh? I said "sustainable" success, meaning I'd prefer not to wait every few years for the stars to align and a good portion of upperclassmen to "develop".

Harper 14 PPG
Baker 12 PPG
Hyatt 10 PPG
Jones 8 PPG
Omoyuri 8 PPG
McConnell 7 PPG
Mulcahy 7 PPG
Miller 4 PPG
TBD Big man ???

73 to 74 PPG if we include OOC games is not out of the realm with better FT shooting and I don't see anyone here shooting under 60% from the line (yes, I think Cliff will be around 62 to 65% from the FT line)......Cliff shot 14-33 from the FT line. With more minutes and better offseason work I can see that getting to around 21 out of 33 for Big Cliff from the line.

The next lowest returning FT shooter is Mulcahy at 67.5%, (27-40 on the season). Mulcahy battled through multiple injuries (broken nose, and dislocated finger) and missed ZERO games.

I can see Mulcahy getting from 27-40 to 29 or 30 out of 40, which is closer to 75%.

Harper, Baker, Jones, Mulcahy, Hyatt, McConnell and the potential of Mag possibly earning minutes should be another solid FT shooter. It is somewhat conservative to add 3 to 4 PTS per game, if you remove a 41% and 55% FT shooter when both Johnson and Mathis combined for 130 total FT attempts.

Reactions: RUHouston
We need to redefine what recruiting means?

we have won without "recruiting" since Pikiell has arrived.

2021 recruiting is now different than 2010 or 2015 or even 2020 recruiting.
Given state of program when he took over recruiting anything higher than a 3 star was a pipe dream. Last couple years he had brought in 4 stars. Not getting the without recruiting comment.

Harper 14 PPG
Baker 12 PPG
Hyatt 10 PPG
Jones 8 PPG
Omoyuri 8 PPG
McConnell 7 PPG
Mulcahy 7 PPG
Miller 4 PPG
TBD Big man ???

73 to 74 PPG if we include OOC games is not out of the realm with better FT shooting and I don't see anyone here shooting under 60% from the line (yes, I think Cliff will be around 62 to 65% from the FT line)......Cliff shot 14-33 from the FT line. With more minutes and better offseason work I can see that getting to around 21 out of 33 for Big Cliff from the line.

The next lowest returning FT shooter is Mulcahy at 67.5%, (27-40 on the season). Mulcahy battled through multiple injuries (broken nose, and dislocated finger) and missed ZERO games.

I can see Mulcahy getting from 27-40 to 29 or 30 out of 40, which is closer to 75%.

Harper, Baker, Jones, Mulcahy, Hyatt, McConnell and the potential of Mag possibly earning minutes should be another solid FT shooter. It is somewhat conservative to add 3 to 4 PTS per game, if you remove a 41% and 55% FT shooter when both Johnson and Mathis combined for 130 total FT attempts.
that is offense

As shaky as our offseason has been, at least we’re not Pittsburgh

Given state of program when he took over recruiting anything higher than a 3 star was a pipe dream. Last couple years he had brought in 4 stars. Not getting the without recruiting comment.
My statement about redefining recruitment isn’t saying anything about Pikiell.

it is literally the rediifining of what recruiting encompasses post 2020.

I hate the star system. Our constant fishing in the 3 and 4 star pond over the years have gotten us 30 years of not making the tournament. We always ended up catching the most flawed or undeserving fish in the pond.

I think recruiting today is about making relationships with more people and realizing recruitment is actually a 4-6 year thing. I also think having a system is very important and it is OK to know you are going to use the portal to fill holes on a regular basis.

Only at Rutgers could you break a 30 year NCAA drought and people expect it every year now

it's not just Rutgers, fans of rebuilding programs hope/expect it will be linear with consistent improvement every single year. It just doesn't work that way. There are ups and downs. You just hope that as you go forward the highs get higher and the lows aren't so low.

There will still be games where Cliff gets 2 fouls in less than ten minutes in the first half. Who feels confident with Rieber playing more than 10 minutes in a half? He might contribute, but we need a solid backup - frosh or transfer. Other than that, I think we are set (still not enough outside shooters).
How is this any different than this year with Myles picking up 2 fouls in 30 seconds and Cliff being injured. We survived.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT